2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/27019526-41...enue-issue.html

Wittenmyer was on 670 about 20 mintues ago discussing above article. It reads bad for the Cubs, and when he expands on it, it sounds worse.

It appears the rooftop owners with a contract with the team, are going to be made to be the bad guys.

Again, if getting these boards up takes you from being able to support a $75 million payroll to $150 million or more, and considering what you have to pay lawyers, why wouldn't the Cubs just buy out the rooftops? Even at a pretty premium, they would come out way ahead.

I guess Bud thinks contracts only should work one way. I've never been a Bud hater, but he just has no case here. Maybe Ricketts didn't sign the deal with the rooftops, but he certainly knew about it when he bought the team.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
It appears the rooftop owners with a contract with the team, are going to be made to be the bad guys.

Again, if getting these boards up takes you from being able to support a $75 million payroll to $150 million or more, and considering what you have to pay lawyers, why wouldn't the Cubs just buy out the rooftops? Even at a pretty premium, they would come out way ahead.

I guess Bud thinks contracts only should work one way. I've never been a Bud hater, but he just has no case here. Maybe Ricketts didn't sign the deal with the rooftops, but he certainly knew about it when he bought the team.

Yeah, it's really the debt service on the team, it's killing them, MLB and Cubs are trying to find a scapegoat so focus isn't on them for agreeing to and accepting the money structure they did.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
How fitting for today Cubs blow 5-2 lead in 9th and lost 7-5 I love it. 100 years of losing keeping the tradition alive and well.

QUOTE (Iguchicago @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
I can't help but laugh at that kid with his hands on his head crying his ass off.

Could not have been a more fitting sendoff to the prior century and harbinger of suck for the next one. :)

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
Yeah, it's really the debt service on the team, it's killing them, MLB and Cubs are trying to find a scapegoat so focus isn't on them for agreeing to and accepting the money structure they did.

The Cubs legitimized any claim the rooftop owners had to baseball when they signed a contract with them. It is their own damned fault.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Where are you getting your figures for those years? Every place I have looked has 3 games at Wrigley in 1935 and 4 in 1945.

OK, I think we're saying the same thing. I'm saying they went 1-2 as in 1 win with 2 losses, and you are saying they went 1-3 as in 1 win in three games.

Yea, I probably should have worded that better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
The Cubs legitimized any claim the rooftop owners had to baseball when they signed a contract with them. It is their own damned fault.

I love how Selig had 100 excuses like new ownership did not sign deal crap.

Matt Garza had some friendly advice for Jeff Samardzija, saying his former teammate needs to "pitch your way out of there" if he doesn't want to stay with the Chicago Cubs.

Garza spent parts of three seasons with the Cubs before being traded to the Texas Rangers last season. The right-hander was asked Saturday about Samardzija, who is set to become a free agent after the 2015 season and has been mentioned in multiple trade rumors. Garza was seen chatting with Samardzija before the game.

"All I can tell him is keep pitching -- pitch your way out of it," Garza, who signed with the Milwaukee Brewers this offseason, told reporters. "Keep your eyes focused, your eyes straight ahead and just pitch. There's nothing else you can do."

Samardzija is winless in five starts this season despite pitching to a 1.53 ERA for the Cubs, who entered play Sunday with a 7-16 record -- the second-worst mark in the majors.

Chicago struggled through the worst three-year period in franchise history from 2011 to 2013, although Garza went 21-18 with a 3.45 ERA with the Cubs over that stretch.

"I told [samardzija], 'It doesn't matter, dude. You play in Chicago,'" Garza told reporters. "'I was there, and I lost 30 wins in three seasons. It's not your fault. You pitch your way out of there.'"

Link

:lolhitting

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)

And when your creditors are advising you to sell, it usually doesn't end well. Again, if the problem is the rooftop owners and its nothing but $175-200 payrolls and championships once they get that straightened out, for the price of Edwin Jackson or even less, they can make them go away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
He talked a lot of about how awful his time with the Cubs was the other day as well.

Their time with him was awful too though. Matt Garza is a lunatic. Glad he's on the Brewers for 4 years so there's no chance of him ending up with the Sox.

I am a bit late to the Matt Garza discussion, but if he thinks he lost 30 W's pitching for the Cubs, he needs to step away from the crack pipe.

And I enjoy immensely any discussion involving the rooftop owners. I think they are stealing Cubs "product" (and manure IS a product), but they legitamized the theft with the revenue-sharing contracts they signed with the rooftop guys. For the Cubs, or Bud Selig, to spout off on how the rooftop guys are obstacles to the Cubs efforts to upgrade and refurbish, is laughable.

A Cub sympathizer I bowl with sputters about how the rooftop owners contracts are unenforceable, but I don't recall the Cubs making those deals under duress. Maybe the Cubs could win a battle of attrition since they could keep the rooftop guys in court to fight any obstructed view claims, but if the rooftop guys were to include legal expenses in their defense, that would make that strategy unwise.

SMO

:o

It is interesting to look at the Cubs top prospects performances this year:

Baez: Terrible

Bryant: Terrific

Almora: Bad

Edwards: Good but seems like major health issues

Soler: Injured

Alcantara: Decent but terrible peripherals

Johnson: OK, but some command issues

Vizcaino: Good but just a bullpen arm

Candelario: Ok

Vogelbach: Bad

Just shows the fickle nature of prospects and was interesting considering the various degrees of performance from our own prospects. But you have one having two guys having great years, some ok performances and then some terrible ones.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
It is interesting to look at the Cubs top prospects performances this year:

Baez: Terrible

Bryant: Terrific

Almora: Bad

Edwards: Good but seems like major health issues

Soler: Injured

Alcantara: Decent but terrible peripherals

Johnson: OK, but some command issues

Vizcaino: Good but just a bullpen arm

Candelario: Ok

Vogelbach: Bad

Just shows the fickle nature of prospects and was interesting considering the various degrees of performance from our own prospects. But you have one having two guys having great years, some ok performances and then some terrible ones.

Although their major league guys who under achieved last year seem to be playing pretty well so far.