Cardinals and Peralta close to a deal

brian310

7:26pm: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that one team who offered Peralta four years and $52MM was told they're "not even in [the] game."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/card...se-to-deal.html

Yikes, no way I'd even pay the $52M for Peralta, let alone more. He hasn't been able to put together 2 consecutive good seasons in quite some time.

Dodgers? They have Hanley, but they don't have a 3B either and Hanley could easily slide over. Could be some sort of older Cuban mentor for Puig too.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind getting a package back that included Dee Gordon. Hasn't looked great in the majors so far, but he's demonstrated he can be a pretty productive hitter in the minors. Just needs to put it together and change of scenery could be good for him. Obviously not the only thing I would want in return for Alexei.

Only other team I can think of is the Pirates. They have a plethora of young players we could want in return.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Dodgers? They have Hanley, but they don't have a 3B either and Hanley could easily slide over. Could be some sort of older Cuban mentor for Puig too.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind getting a package back that included Dee Gordon. Hasn't looked great in the majors so far, but he's demonstrated he can be a pretty productive hitter in the minors. Just needs to put it together and change of scenery could be good for him. Obviously not the only thing I would want in return for Alexei.

Only other team I can think of is the Pirates. They have a plethora of young players we could want in return.

I am as much of a Dodgers fan as I am a Sox fan, so let me just say that. Also, with MLB.tv I watch almost all Dodgers games I can (living on the east coast makes it hard to watch all of them). I can tell you this, Dee Gordon is terrible at playing baseball. Terrible.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
I read somewhere they wanted him to play LF!

Hard to beleive the Cards would prefer a deal with Peralta over Alexei for less money and less time. Peralta has no range . Alexei's errors made him look bad but he gets to a lot more balls than Peralta. Card must want to horde their prospects or Hahns asking price was way too high and St. Louis said FU to him. Alexei's probably worth more to us than to the Cards but seeing how much they're going to pay for Peralta thats hard to fathom.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Really doesn't seem like a St. Louis move. I hope he struggles because he doesn't deserve that money..

I agree...sounds like a bad move for St. Louis. I can't believe what teams are willing to pay for these Free Agents this year and even harder to believe what some of these guys are asking.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
And also reinforces Alexei Ramirez has legitimate trade value.

Actually I kind of view it as the opposite. STL was one of the few teams that could actually call Alexei a substantial upgrade. And they decided that it was more prudent to give a buttload of money to a PED user than trade for Alexei. And now, the market for Alexei looks very very thin. I just don't know where the demand is going to come from, especially with Stephen Drew still a FA. Not many contending teams need a SS. Hopefully the market will change through injuries or more PED suspensions...

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
Actually I kind of view it as the opposite. STL was one of the few teams that could actually call Alexei a substantial upgrade. And they decided that it was more prudent to give a buttload of money to a PED user than trade for Alexei. And now, the market for Alexei looks very very thin. I just don't know where the demand is going to come from, especially with Stephen Drew still a FA. Not many contending teams need a SS. Hopefully the market will change through injuries or more PED suspensions...

Was thinking the same thing. What contenders still need a SS? Dodgers, Pirates, and ??? Plus with Drew still available it lessens the market further.

Hahn could be very busy at the deadline