Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davidson's D has been improving...and hell...he hasn't been a F/T 3B very long at all...but I have a feeling Robin my have a nice role in his development too. Plus the fact...he's only 22. Both he and Eaton blasted thru the minors in a hurry with their productivity. There'll be some growing pains...but I'll take those over stagnant vets any day.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:38 PM)
How many times have we seen defensive scouting reports be completely wrong? Alexei's scouting reports were totally off base. For the vast majority of players, you really need to see them play consistently to judge their defense. I'll trust the Sox' judgement.

Usually if a guy is elite as a minor league defender they call him that (see Iglesias, Andrus, that robot the Braves built to play short). Semien might get there with time but he's not there right now.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
If the Sox can use Ramirez as part of a deal for a young catcher, do it and don't look back. I'd take my chances with L. Garcia or whom ever might show they're worth a shot in spring training.

Alexi is a plus defender, was arguably one of our best hitters, will be a mentor to Abreu, and comes to play every day. He is only 32, has a very fair contract. The Diamond Challenge fantasy baseball metrics have him rated as the fourth most productive shortstop in all of baseball. If we trade him, we had better get a LOT more than a young catcher. I believe we should be using Alexei as a complement to all of our young ballplayers. It is extremely difficult to find a shortstop that combines his offensive and defensive skills - they are a rare breed.

"While watching the young third baseman over the course of a couple of days in Chattanooga, a scout I was talking to made a great point when I questioned whether or not Davidson was an everyday player at the big league level due to his questionable defense and propensity to strikeout. His response was to the effect of, “The requirements to be a starting third baseman at the major league level aren’t as high as they used to be.” He was right."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-davids...g-report-video/

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
Alexi is a plus defender, was arguably one of our best hitters, will be a mentor to Abreu, and comes to play every day. He is only 32, has a very fair contract. The Diamond Challenge fantasy baseball metrics have him rated as the fourth most productive shortstop in all of baseball. If we trade him, we had better get a LOT more than a young catcher. I believe we should be using Alexei as a complement to all of our young ballplayers. It is extremely difficult to find a shortstop that combines his offensive and defensive skills - they are a rare breed.

Agree completely. One of the reasons Abreu cited for coming here was tank and alexei. There's no demand for Alexei right now. Don't trade him just to trade him. I don't think Semien is ready yet to be honest, and another year in the minors wouldn't hurt. Semien should be filling Beckham's spot, not Alexei's, so if Beckham sucks bring up Semien and have him start. Trade Alexei next offseason, when we actually have a sample to see if Semien can produce consistently.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:22 AM)
Agree completely. One of the reasons Abreu cited for coming here was tank and alexei. There's no demand for Alexei right now. Don't trade him just to trade him. I don't think Semien is ready yet to be honest, and another year in the minors wouldn't hurt. Semien should be filling Beckham's spot, not Alexei's, so if Beckham sucks bring up Semien and have him start. Trade Alexei next offseason, when we actually have a sample to see if Semien can produce consistently.

Fantastic post...at this point, there's no reason not to see what a "healthy" Beckham can give you.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
"While watching the young third baseman over the course of a couple of days in Chattanooga, a scout I was talking to made a great point when I questioned whether or not Davidson was an everyday player at the big league level due to his questionable defense and propensity to strikeout. His response was to the effect of, “The requirements to be a starting third baseman at the major league level aren’t as high as they used to be.” He was right."

The same could be said of every position on the field. Offense is down across the league at every position.

I'll trust they do the right thing with Semien, but for now, I'm hoping they can turn Beckham or Alexei into a catcher (by trade).

I just think Semien is going to be ok wherever they put him in the middle of the infield. And if he needs more time, bring up Elmore or give Leury time there. Who knows, maybe Micah Johnson will be knocking on the door by August too.

Edited by flavum

Don't move Ramirez for the sake of moving him, Semien projects more as a 2B. This year is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Lots of question marks but Hahn has put us in a much better position for a quick turn around. If Viciedo breaks out he can be moved to DH in '15 and maybe Thompson supplants eaton and pushes him to LF or the next crown jewel of Cuba comes to the south side in Alfredo Despaigne, he's the same age as Abreu and equally as talented and a very solid defender in the outfield.

Ramirez, Viciedo and Dunn have more value to this team than any other I don't see Jerry paying Dunn to play some where else, Viciedo is still so incredibly young and will help Abreu's transition here and there is no one thats ready to push Ramirez off SS.

Hahn should focus on moving De Aza and Beckham, and ideally flowers as well. All though i feel if they're looking to '15 as the year there is no need to let Semien waste away in the minors let him take his lumps at the major league level and catch up to the speed of the game.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:38 PM)
Don't move Ramirez for the sake of moving him, Semien projects more as a 2B. This year is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Lots of question marks but Hahn has put us in a much better position for a quick turn around. If Viciedo breaks out he can be moved to DH in '15 and maybe Thompson supplants eaton and pushes him to LF or the next crown jewel of Cuba comes to the south side in Alfredo Despaigne, he's the same age as Abreu and equally as talented and a very solid defender in the outfield.

Ramirez, Viciedo and Dunn have more value to this team than any other I don't see Jerry paying Dunn to play some where else, Viciedo is still so incredibly young and will help Abreu's transition here and there is no one thats ready to push Ramirez off SS.

Hahn should focus on moving De Aza and Beckham, and ideally flowers as well. All though i feel if they're looking to '15 as the year there is no need to let Semien waste away in the minors let him take his lumps at the major league level and catch up to the speed of the game.

There's also Carlos Sanchez, who's supposedly having a great Venezuelan Winter League season.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)

Dunn has no value to us. Also, being that it's the final year of his deal, I'm not sure Reinsdorf would get in the way of anything Dunn-related due to his salary. Hahn has his numbers & I don't see why Jerry would step in to say anything other than "Please Ricky boy get this sorry sack of s*** out of here already." I'd say the Mariners who just traded for Logan Morrison would like Dunn a lot more than we do. Send Adam there, pay his salary, take back one of many busts or some halfway interesting prospect, and call it a day.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
High praise from Nightengale:

The #WhiteSox have improved more than anyone in #MLB the last 6 months with acquistions of 1B Abreu, RF Garcia, CF Eaton and 3B Davidson.

Our offense was unbearable to witness last year. I love pitching depth but we had nothing offensively and not much coming up in the minors to help. Erik Johnson can replace Santiago's production in the rotation and same for Webb or Jones for Reed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
There's also Carlos Sanchez, who's supposedly having a great Venezuelan Winter League season.

Lol, what's with the drawn out exaggeration

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
Dunn has no value to us. Also, being that it's the final year of his deal, I'm not sure Reinsdorf would get in the way of anything Dunn-related due to his salary. Hahn has his numbers & I don't see why Jerry would step in to say anything other than "Please Ricky boy get this sorry sack of s*** out of here already." I'd say the Mariners who just traded for Logan Morrison would like Dunn a lot more than we do. Send Adam there, pay his salary, take back one of many busts or some halfway interesting prospect, and call it a day.

If he hits well in the first couple months, he could net a nice prospect or two. Or if he hits well in the first couple months and we are contending, he's valuable to us. Dunn hit 34 homers last year, he can hit.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:10 AM)
"While watching the young third baseman over the course of a couple of days in Chattanooga, a scout I was talking to made a great point when I questioned whether or not Davidson was an everyday player at the big league level due to his questionable defense and propensity to strikeout. His response was to the effect of, "The requirements to be a starting third baseman at the major league level aren't as high as they used to be." He was right."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-davids...g-report-video/

What's with all these high strikeout guys? From watching those old Sox games on youtube (and some of those teams were godawful), one thing I noticed is guys had no problem going the opposite way and actually putting the ball in play. These high strikeout guys annoy me generally.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)

Well, having Hart, LoMo and Smoak all for the same two positions (unless Hart can play RF at Safeco, which is doubtful after the knee injuries doesn't give them much of a need for Dunn.

There's just no way they play Morrison in LF, he might be worse than Dunn out there.