The Disappointment Thread

bmags

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
THEY CAN STILL PICK UP A BAT!!!

Well, CarGo will most likely pass through waivers. Of course, they couldn't use Avi Garcia in the trade now though, because he won't pass. What other waiver wire bats are you suggesting?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Why would a non playoff team block him? And a team in contention might be willing to trade something for him. If not, there's a draft pick which everyone seems to hate, although they also hate signing established MLB players and giving up lower picks than the one the Sox will receive.

You don't know the offers, so why don't you just stop this act trying to get the complainers going for just one day?

Here's another offer, dude.

I think Shark goes nowhere and is blocked.

You think he can still be traded.

For real this time, you can never mention Don Cooper or Greg Walker again (when you invariably lose the bet)....since you already lost the Gordon Beckham bet last year and I didn't really call you out on it.

Why even have Soxtalk if the whole premise is to praise the front office for not having a clue how to leverage their one asset to get a useful piece or pieces for next season?

Maybe you should start your own thread (and you won't see me in any of these pages advocating dealing prospects for Upton/Cespedes either) and praise KW and Hahn for their brilliance?

That thread will be a freaking ghost town and you'll embarrass yourself, but go ahead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
I'm not 100% sure about that. I think trading Shark would have conveyed that message.

+1, and with such an overreacting fan base, I'm sure the term White Flag Pt II would have been used by some

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
That's exactly what the Royals did, but can KW/Hahn pull it off?

If the White Sox had brought in Morales, Chris Young (placeholder) and Volquez they'd be sitting in a much better position today, as they'd have Volquez as part of the rotation for next year instead of a compensation pick for Shark and they'd have had a lot more depth to pull off a trade at the deadline (the four guys who went to the A's).

Of course, you can argue nobody could have foreseen what Morales or Young were going to do for them.

We probably would have been better off with Rios over Garcia, but that's really not an argument worth having atm.

Along with those guys, dumpster diving for the likes of Blanton to cover your rotation, bringing back Hochevar and signing Medlen to a spec contract based on his TJ history that they don't have to pick up next year ($10 million mutual option).

Dude, just become a Royals fan! You and Greg can be besties!

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Well, CarGo will most likely pass through waivers. Of course, they couldn't use Avi Garcia in the trade now though, because he won't pass. What other waiver wire bats are you suggesting?

If the talk of the Rockies wanting a decent return for him is true I think this is unlikely.

Heck, if I were the White Sox GM I'd block him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
My pet theory is that on one actually likes Baez. Every fan/writer has been virtually-trading Baez for three years now. Everyone seems to understand that THEY don't want to deal with the low floor, but assume that another team will pay for the high ceiling.

His cup of coffee in the majors last year only emphasized that low floor, so teams are probably even more likely to avoid him.

The most invisible team in baseball just stayed invisible. That's why I predicted they'd stand pat in that thread. Disappointed ? Not really there's always August to see how this team competes against the good competition with what we have and make a Rios type pickup then , though I don;t expect that either now that we're saddled with LaRoche for another year or we screw up the roster by having 2 DH's spots. An OF would have been nice to rotate off days and use multiple guys at DH.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Didn't mean extending him during the year, I meant in the exclusive negotiating window

Again he is going to free agency 100% he does not care about the window.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)

Mike Napoli would be one, but we'll probably end up with Allen Craig, Chris Shelton or Tuffy Rhodes.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)

Upton will go on waivers, Braun will go on waivers, Victor Martinez will go waivers, Stephen Vogt will go on waivers, hell even Longoria will go on waivers. I could go on for a while.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Exactly. They said f*** the fans, especially those idiots on Soxtalk. Let's piss them off and do nothing and hopefully start a nice losing streak.

Because that's what I said?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Dude, just become a Royals fan! You and Greg can be besties!

The point is you don't have to break the bank spending in Free Agency to still remain competitive.

The Royals aren't in a situation where they can afford to pay guys like Shields and Alex Gordon $100 million contracts, not in that market.

I will continue to compare and contrast their moves with KW/Hahn until the White Sox start making the right ones.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Upton will go on waivers, Braun will go on waivers, Victor Martinez will go waivers, Stephen Vogt will go on waivers, hell even Longoria will go on waivers. I could go on for a while.

Upton and Longoria will not pass through waivers. The Sox aren't going to take on a full time DH like Martinez. As a platoon catcher, Vogt doesn't really move the needle much for this team (if he passes through). Braun would be a possibility I guess, though not one I would be excited about.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)

Why would we want to add Braun, Longoria's or Martinez's contract?

Upton will certainly be blocked...or the acquiring team won't be able to work out a deal.

Why are the A's desperate to let go of Vogt with his favorable contract?

Edited by caulfield12

Maybe they thought Baltimore and Toronto were behind us in the standings. Then they looked today and finally realized they weren't. Next year we probably should go into the deadline expecting nothing. Unless Kenny decides to fire hahn

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
Not disappointed...if they keep playing well the next two weeks, I'm sure they'll add another bat if needed.

I agree.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
I like it. You can't give up on the team by trading Samardzija, but you can't trust this team so much that you'll pay big for a rental.

If they traded Shark weeks ago, they could have gotten 3 top notch prospects probably. But let's say Sox traded him yesterday or today for a couple prospects. That basically would have been a white flag trade. Maybe it would have been great for the team's future, but if Erik Johnson sucked, the Sox would basically be white flagging the work they did last offseason in putting together what they think is a playoff team.

Even though I love Danks, if I were the Sox, I'd bring up E. Johnson and insert him into the rotation for Danks right now. I'd also bring up Davidson and take the risk and insert him at third. What if he's the power bat we need? If Johnson is great that'll be the added boost the team needs. I have no idea what you then do with Danks.