STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

They probably made a mistake releasing this movie 4-5 months after the regular Star Wars films and it was just too close to Deadpool 2 and Avengers to break out...especially with the relatively unknown cast members in a stand-alone film without the Skywalkers.  There's also the fact that we already KNOW the eventual fate of the character, so that takes away from it a LITTLE bit.

Personally, I enjoyed it...well enough, but it's also an imminently forgettable movie, in that the stakes never seemed very high or dramatic.  If nothing else, the two leads did as well as could possibly be expected given the pressure/s placed upon them from the fanbase.

Disney's also taking a lot of criticism for their overly "multicultural" casting, but that wasn't really an issue here.  They're also running into a brick wall trying to get Chinese audiences to accept this series....$10.1 million for opening weekend is an embarrassment.   Disney will only get back $2.5 million in profits for that, which is well less than Joakim Soria makes pitching for one of the worst teams in MLB, lol.

Yeah, there’s definitely some fatigue going on and I think a large portion of that stems from the divisive reaction from TLJ. There was a lot of bad press too. I think that they should’ve pushed Solo back to escape the negative conversations surrounding the film. Hopefully after IX, we get a Star Wars film every two or three years. I think they’ll wait at least a decade to do X, XI and XII. Leaving us the spin offs and the trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game Of Thrones dudes  

And why does everyone have to be white? I’m sick of hearing white people say that’s they’re not being represented. That’s the biggest crock of shit that I’ve ever heard. The Galaxy is ever expanding, I’m sure it’s super diverse and I credit for Disney for making sure the cast for their Star Wars films reflects that of the world we live in. More studios and filmmakers should take note.

In regards to China, I wonder if Disney/Lucasfilm will try to develop a project that is specifically geared towards Chinese audiences. Paramount did that what Transformers and it made them a lot of money. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

21 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Yeah, there’s definitely some fatigue going on and I think a large portion of that stems from the divisive reaction from TLJ. There was a lot of bad press too. I think that they should’ve pushed Solo back to escape the negative conversations surrounding the film. Hopefully after IX, we get a Star Wars film every two or three years. I think they’ll wait at least a decade to do X, XI and XII. Leaving us the spin offs and the trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game Of Thrones dudes  

And why does everyone have to be white? I’m sick of hearing white people say that’s they’re not being represented. That’s the biggest crock of shit that I’ve ever heard. The Galaxy is ever expanding, I’m sure it’s super diverse and I credit for Disney for making sure the cast for their Star Wars films reflects that of the world we live in. More studios and filmmakers should take note.

In regards to China, I wonder if Disney/Lucasfilm will try to develop a project that is specifically geared towards Chinese audiences. Paramount did that what Transformers and it made them a lot of money. 

They tried....they put Jiang Wen and Donnie Yuen in ROGUE ONE and it still didn't resonate.

Pandering to the audiences by shooting a significant number of scenes (and Chinese product placements for showings here) works to an extent, but that's even waning because everyone has gotten over the initial excitement of seeing someone like Angelababy in Independence Day for about 10 minutes, or Fan Bing Bing in X-Men or Li Bing Bing in Transfomers.

Some things DO work...thinking Warcraft (because of popularity of the game) OR Pacific Rim 1 (because of all the Chinese/Hong Kong tie-ins.)

In all honesty, I'm not even sure an ALL CHINESE/ASIAN cast would work for a Star Wars story, but I guess we'll find out.  Whatever they're doing hasn't worked YET.

On 5/27/2018 at 4:05 PM, Reddy said:

The reveal at the end blew my miiiiiind and I loved it so much.

Yeah, I was a big fan of that. It made the movie much better to me.

Solo felt like a good episode of the cartoons more than a comparison to the movies. There's less Force in the cartoons (at least, it's not as essential to every story line like it is in the movies) and it's more about a certain set of people trying to make their way despite the oppression of the Empire being omnipresent. The cartoons always have some cringe worthy dialogue and cliche story beats to move things along (like the double, triple cross nonsense this movie had) and maybe have some slow parts (the first hour of Solo was too slow), but eventually get to a cool part where things in the universe tie together and reward your patience.

I have a hard time ranking this movie or comparing it to the others, but I had a smile on my face at the end of it and I don't think I could say that after any of the three other Disney movies. That doesn't mean I think it's better. I don't. I just think that means the ending was better and it met my expectations.

32 minutes ago, danman31 said:

Yeah, I was a big fan of that. It made the movie much better to me.

Solo felt like a good episode of the cartoons more than a comparison to the movies. There's less Force in the cartoons (at least, it's not as essential to every story line like it is in the movies) and it's more about a certain set of people trying to make their way despite the oppression of the Empire being omnipresent. The cartoons always have some cringe worthy dialogue and cliche story beats to move things along (like the double, triple cross nonsense this movie had) and maybe have some slow parts (the first hour of Solo was too slow), but eventually get to a cool part where things in the universe tie together and reward your patience.

I have a hard time ranking this movie or comparing it to the others, but I had a smile on my face at the end of it and I don't think I could say that after any of the three other Disney movies. That doesn't mean I think it's better. I don't. I just think that means the ending was better and it met my expectations.

I saw it last night. This movie reminded me of the Lucas era movies with more story and not built around action. The recent Disney movies seem to be action movies with story thrown in. I really enjoyed this aspect. It's like the rest phase of a workout. The break is needed to make the workout portion more effective.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I saw it last night. This movie reminded me of the Lucas era movies with more story and not built around action. The recent Disney movies seem to be action movies with story thrown in. I really enjoyed this aspect. It's like the rest phase of a workout. The break is needed to make the workout portion more effective.

That's a good way to put it. It is so different from the others and I do think that was a good thing in a lot of ways. It was a nice addition to the Star Wars universe even if I wouldn't use it as an ad for the series.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

The original trilogy was on this weekend as TNT was promoting getting Force Awakens on Monday. After seeing Solo and watching the OT, I did look at Han and Lando a little differently, and for the better. I actually did feel like I knew the characters a little better, and their interactions together meant a little more having just seen Solo. 

For movies that are 30+ years old, I think that's a pretty impressive accomplishment, to be able to go back and enhance my viewing experience of the originals, even if it was just slightly. 

I agree. The character development was beneficial for the storyline. Not essential but it does make it more enjoyable. 

I have a huge problem with TFA abnd TLJ. TFA is a re-make of NH and it is obvious. The lamest part of that movie was Han's death scene, where the scenery gave away what was going to happen, if you watched NH it was obvious what was going to happen there....

The new trilogy that is supposedly closing out the Skywalker family saga can only be reconciled with the Rey/Finn storyline if it is revealed through prequels that bloodlines mean nothing and the ability to harness the Force is completely random and a special gift, that the user can decide to use for good or evil. 

In any event, Now that Solo is out I have seen 3/4 of the new movies, and I know I am in the minority, but I think the prequels that tell the story of Darth Vader's rise have aged better than most give them credit for, and that as bad as TPM was, both TFA and TLJ were 10x worse as movies. What keeps me hoping they get better was Rogue One, which I thought was an excellent movie and a great bridge between ROS and NH. 

I'm more interested in a new series of films that I'd like to see called Star Wars Origins, where they tell the story of the origins of both the Jedi and Sith orders, and the struggle between them, ending right before TPM. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know I am in the minority, but I think the prequels that tell the story of Darth Vader's rise have aged better than most give them credit for, and that as bad as TPM was, both TFA and TLJ were 10x worse as movies.

I don't agree with this, but I love it. I think as time passes on the Disney movies they will gradually get more and more shit. Once the sheen of "NEW STAR WARS MOVIE" wears off, it will become clearer that the movies are only OK. Expensive, pretty looking, cool sounding, but mediocre overall.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:05 PM, Joshua Strong said:

Solo is good, I really enjoyed it. 

While I think Last Jedi is a bad movie due to its terrible execution, I love what it tried to do with the mythology. That being said I think Solo is a good palette cleanser for people who didn't like Last Jedi and wanted something more traditional. 

I really loved the underworld that the film presented. Hopefully, it is explored more in other anthology films. And this is easily the best shot Star Wars film since Disney bought Lucasfilm, maybe in the entire franchise. You can always tell what was reshoot in a movie (Justice Leauge, Fant4stic) but nothing stood out until the very end of the movie.

Alden Ehrenreich was pretty good in it. I had a huge problem with him being cast because he doesn't really look like Harrison Ford but my friend told me to think of it as him playing Han Solo and not as him playing Harrison Ford and that made me come around. 

The movie also has possibly the coolest, vibe-y scene in any Star Wars film.

I just saw this last night and I agree. You can see back in this thread that I was disappointed with the choice for Han, and was not excited to see it because of that. Well, he changed my mind. I still contend there HAD to be someone who looked more similar to Ford, but Alden actually got the mannerisms and attitude pretty good. Some of the lines he said and how he delivered them TOTALLY had me thinking "Fuck yeah, that's Han". 

The age still doesn't match up for me, but overall I was pleased.

Solid movie. Better than TLJ, not as good as TFA or Rogue One for me, but close to Rogue One.

Lots of rumors floating around that Kathleen Kennedy will be fired. 

https://movieweb.com/kathleen-kennedy-leaving-lucasfilm-star-wars/

I grabbed this from another site, but it's pretty damning. 

*Lower sales numbers of Star Wars merchandise/toys than expected.
*Lower BluRay sales of the 3 Disney Star Wars releases than expected.
*Ep8 had the worst 2nd weekend dropoff of any Star Wars movie ever (68%), and brought in $700 million less than Ep7 - FAR less than expected.
*Solo is now expected to raise $80 million less than its estimated production budget - Not including its advertising budget.

I dont think they ignore fans concerns.   I think that there will never be pleasing everyone, people have extremely strong feelings about how these films should be.   When they dont turn out how they want, or how they expected, fans turn angry.  

TBH, I think the problem with Solo is that they TRIED to please the fans, and in the process they canned two very good directors for not toeing the company line and doing their own thing, and in the end they went safe which has seemingly backfired.

44 minutes ago, knightni said:

I still don't understand why Disney just ignores the fans' concerns when it comes to the Star Wars movies.

The films have been extremely mediocre plot-wise since Ep 7.

Even 7 had its moments.

I thought the plot of Solo was the best of the bunch.

8 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I have questions after seeing this.  It's been about 3 weeks are spoiler tags still appropriate?    Now that I look, how do you post spoilers?

Just ask. There are a lot of people who love Star Wars but have zero interest in seeing this (I have friends that fall in that group) and anyone who would really want to see it has probably seen it by now. I think you are safe without the tags.

Possible spoilers below.

Who was the girl who showed up at the end?  Am I supposed to know who she is?  I've seen all the movies but have no knowledge of books or cartoons.

Wasn't Darth Maul killed when Anakin was a child?  How was he still alive?