White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
If you are going to sign him for a year, why not just have brought Alexei back for $4 million?

I did like the idea of bringing him in earlier this year, but I also thought he could probably play 3B. That is covered. Hopefully, Tim Anderson shows us SS is covered in 2017. I just don't know why you give up a pick and pay more money for Desmond when you had a guy who you could have brought back for peanuts.

Probably because this would be a secondary option to improve the offense and Alexei didn't wait around (not that I would expect him to).

If they do sign Desmond it's because they didn't get an improvement in RF they wanted. I would still expect them to go after Fowler, then move onto Desmond.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Desmond, think he's a better long-term player than Cespedes...but I'm not sure of the fit with this current roster and Anderson lurking. If they do sign him, I wouldn't mind a high prospect for high prospect swap of Anderson for an outfielder.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
If they signed him, everyone would say "same old White Sox" but they'd be buying low for once instead of buying high.

Desmond has an ugly downward trend and was terrible at the plate last year but he's still averaged 3.8 WAR over the last four years. His defense has gotten better annually. For comparison, Adam Eaton had 3.6 WAR last year. This is a player who was offered 100+ million dollar contract and was talked about as the best shortstop in the NL within the last year. I don't love his prospects but there's plenty reason for some optimism.

Two things I have heard a lot about Desmond:

- he really struggled last year as he put a ton of pressure on himself to earn a new contract after turning down $107 million

- the cluster that was the Nats clubhouse hurt him and others, as many players on the Nats put up shockingly low WAR numbers in comparison to the career averages

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
If they signed him, everyone would say "same old White Sox" but they'd be buying low for once instead of buying high.

Desmond has an ugly downward trend and was terrible at the plate last year but he's still averaged 3.8 WAR over the last four years. His defense has gotten better annually. For comparison, Adam Eaton had 3.6 WAR last year. This is a player who was offered 100+ million dollar contract and was talked about as the best shortstop in the NL within the last year. I don't love his prospects but there's plenty reason for some optimism.

Can someone tell me why he has had this drop off, and why it won't happen again in 2016?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
Seems like the Sox are really positioning themselves to beat positional averages.

There were three middle infielders in all the AL that hit 20 HRs or more in 2015. If the Sox got 40 from Desmond/Lawrie (very possible if both stay healthy) they would likely have the most thunderous middle infield in the AL.

You're looking at 100 homers from the infield possibly

Desmond was similar to Alexei last year in which he was horrid both offensively and defensively the first half, but was pretty darn good the second.

His k rate is starting to resemble Adam Dunn's. It was always high, but has been on the rise in recent years. But he does hit the ball in the seats which the White Sox need. When are they good when they don't hit home runs?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Seems like the Sox are really positioning themselves to beat positional averages.

There were three middle infielders in all the AL that hit 20 HRs or more in 2015. If the Sox got 40 from Desmond/Lawrie (very possible if both stay healthy) they would likely have the most thunderous middle infield in the AL.

Are you saying the Sox are interested in signing him, or is this more of a what if?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Okay. Thanks.

I could like the idea provided he's cheap. And based on what you've been saying, he could be relatively cheap.

With the lack of contending teams needing a SS and the QO attached, the chances for getting him relatively cheap are high.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)

Really agree with this. I believe even ahead of big three, desmond and Jackson (and span) were only players that had a good probability of outperforming their contract. Desmond costs a pick, but if you sign him for a 2 year deal and he has a dynamite year, you can get good value out of trading him.

OTOH, if he's himself last year, this is likely to be an affordable contract which we could still move for the same reasons we signed him (somebody will think he'll bounce back).

That said, would like if we tried Saladino plus Jackson. But Desmond, considering the lack of market, seems like a good value candidate.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
That's why they're saying he's flexible in moving to the OF. If he can also play other infield positions and LF, his market may be stronger.

Yes, but playing those positions vs. him playing SS , decreases his value. And what if he is Hanley Ramirez in the OF?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
You're looking at 100 homers from the infield possibly

I'd say 100 on the conservative end. They hit 100 last year with Desmond having a down year. I really think Lawrie can hit 20-23 in our park and Abreu should hit closer to 40 than the 30 he hit last year.

I would guess somewhere around 110 total.

Desmond - 18-23

Lawrie - 18-23

Frazier - 30-35

Abreu - 30-40