Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Is there any package of players that doesn't involve Anderson or Fulmer or anyone on the current projected 25 that could get Carlos Gonzalez? I'm thinking no.

Maybe a package centered around Adams? I don't know.

"Like with Cuddyer’s retirement, it almost certainly comes with a buyout, so he’s actually not walking away from that much money. In other words, LaRoche probably chose something like $5-10 million to be home with his kids over $12 million to sit on the bench."

From the comments section on a Fangraphs article, so the Sox may not be getting back as much money as expected from this decision.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
"Like with Cuddyer’s retirement, it almost certainly comes with a buyout, so he’s actually not walking away from that much money. In other words, LaRoche probably chose something like $5-10 million to be home with his kids over $12 million to sit on the bench."

From the comments section on a Fangraphs article, so the Sox may not be getting back as much money as expected from this decision.

It's better than if they just released or kept him and had him on the dl on and off all year being unproductive when in lineup.

The fact that he is even taking the teams' advice to sit on it for a day or two, indicates to me it most likely isn't anything serious and family related. Perhaps his back made him frustrated. But what is impressive is he already did all the offseason stuff. He already showed up for spring training. Walking away from $13 million the next 6 months takes a either an already huge bank account or a lot of character.

As for Jay Bruce, the first question that comet to me is you didn't like LaRoche, why would you like Bruce?

I'm probably in the minority here but I kind of hope he doesn't retire. I think he is a good bounce back candidate and a 2014-esque version of Adam LaRoche makes the middle of our lineup very dangerous. Sure having the extra money would be nice but on March 15 with opening day just 3 weeks away there really isn't a whole lot out there to spend it on.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)

i guess, but i thought he was going to play a lot.

vs. righties.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Rabbit mentioned going after Coghlan on Twitter. .271/.345/.449 over past 3 seasons against RHP. Should be relatively cheap to acquire.

That matters ? It's just his speculation like anyone else speculates on here about another OF or Morneau or whoever. Solid guys like Coghlan are already part of the A's team and doubtful to be moved unless A's aren't competing near the deadline.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Please don't let this lead to Jay freaking Bruce. He's the prime candidate to, eh, beat?, be worse than?, the atrocity that was Adam Dunn's first season in Chicago.

I seriously doubt that Bruce is going to put up a .569 OPS this season. He *might* be worth a shot if the Reds are willing to eat half of his contract, but I generally agree that there's a better option out there.

Why would the Sox offer that though? Unless he's really injured badly, I don't think the Sox would offer him $5M or more to quit. Even if he's only a little bit better than he was last year they are a better team with him than without him, and it may be too late to spend the saved money this season anyway.

EDIT: Danks is someone I would offer $5M to quit.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)

I kind of doubt the Sox were offering something like that.

OF: Eaton, Jackson, Garcia, Cabrera, Shuck

IF: Frazier, Saladino, Rollins, Lawrie, Abreu

C: Navarro, Avila

Playing for the last spot: C Sanchez, L Garcia, Sands, Ishikawa, Lombardozzi, Parrino.

Lombardozzi is intriguing. Switch hitter, plays all over, and would know his place on the team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
OF: Eaton, Jackson, Garcia, Cabrera, Shuck

IF: Frazier, Saladino, Rollins, Lawrie, Abreu

C: Navarro, Avila

Playing for the last spot: C Sanchez, L Garcia, Sands, Ishikawa, Lombardozzi, Parrino.

Lombardozzi is intriguing. Switch hitter, plays all over, and would know his place on the team.

I was thinking too about Hector Sanchez making it and Navarro seeing a good chunk of time as the DH. Likely won't happen but an idea.