White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 28, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
He's owed (pending an opt-out) about $63 million through the 2018 season. He's 34 with declining fastball velocity and peripherals that do not match his ERA. I'd really hope we at least get off the hook on some of that $63 mil.

I'm not sure how much better he will be from Latos/Gonzalez.

I heard Erik Johnson and Fernando Tatis mentioned in return yesterday. Interesting thing about Shields: He can opt-out after season and Sox would receive a comp pick. He's owed $21 million this year, next year, and in 2018. 2019 $2 million buyout.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 28, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
I heard Erik Johnson and Fernando Tatis mentioned in return yesterday. Interesting thing about Shields: He can opt-out after season and Sox would receive a comp pick. He's owed $21 million this year, next year, and in 2018. 2019 $2 million buyout.

I don't think he'd opt out because teams would be foolish to pay him $42 million over the next two years

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ May 28, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Interesting report by @sdutdennislin on White Sox interest in James Shields. Rick Hahn seems in aggressive mode. Tim Anderson could be key.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/736661874381598720

Really don't see Anderson being available. Would be a huge overpay for Shields.

God, Phil Rogers is the worst. When was the last time he was right about something?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Interesting report by @sdutdennislin on White Sox interest in James Shields. Rick Hahn seems in aggressive mode. Tim Anderson could be key.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/736661874381598720

Really don't see Anderson being available. Would be a huge overpay for Shields.

I wouldnt mind giving up Anderson if they also get Kemp or Myers back as well as Shields

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 28, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
I wouldnt mind giving up Anderson if they also get Kemp or Myers back as well as Shields

Myers would be the only one and they have to eat most of Shields contract. We finally might develop a hitter and we want to trade him? This place would be pissed off and so would 80% of the fan base