5/30 Games

DirtySox

Wow.. just realized W-S has Mikey Duarte starting (and playing 1B). That's great for the kid, especially with what he's been through.

Nice test for W-S as they're facing one of the Cubs top pitching prospects in Alex Lange. 

15 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Scoreless 1st inning for Fulmer... *slow clap*

3 BBs and 3 Ks?

Kidding, but really, I think getting outs won't be Fulmer's problem.  It is getting the ball over the plate.  Even so far this season, his stuff looks good, he just needs to be able to command it. 

Ok. so by proxy outs may be a problem... I meant stuff isn't his problem, it is commanding it.  

Edited by turnin' two

Lots to like in that Birmingham game.

Collins 2-4 with a 2B and BB. Continuing his May onslaught against AA pitching.

Zavala 3-5 in his return game from the DL. Hopefully that signals that the performance drop was injury related.

Dunning 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 0 BB 9 K. Ho-hum, just another great performance from Dane Dunning, which is pretty much what he's done since arriving in the Eaton trade. Maybe he's ready for AAA?

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Learned something interesting from the Barons’ broadcast at Rickwood.

Since that game is about diversity/inclusion, they mentioned how Dunning’s mother is actually 100% South Korean, so that made him Asian-American or biracial or however you want to classify it.   Apparently, she’s actually around 5’8” and her family is also pretty tall.  (Note: Dane is listed at 6’4”)

He has a cool tattoo, “One Blood,” as well.

So that’s different, has been ages since Takatsu and Iguchi...of course, they were Japanese.  I know we also signed a Korean pitcher somewhere along the way to a decent-sized bonus but he didn’t get out of A ball.

I always wondered about his race, just because I could never tell by looking at him if he was a minority or white. Didn't know that about his mom. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I know we also signed a Korean pitcher somewhere along the way to a decent-sized bonus but he didn’t get out of A ball.

Po-Yu Lin pitched at Rookie Bristol and Great Falls in 2007-08.  He was from Taiwan.  IIRC, he got homesick and quit.

Po-Yu Lin Statistics

Fulmer 6IP 5H 3ER 4BB 7K

not too bad.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

But remember according to a poster here (that I won't name), his stuff is average. 

Still doesn't mean it isn't. I just don't think a RHP can get hitters out at the MLB level without averaging 93 on the fastball anymore. You can't even set up hitters because they'll lay off of the breaking stuff and tee off on the fastball, and if you can get 3 breaking balls over the plate then they'll just grab some bench. Watch Giolito pitch and you'll see. He still has awesome breaking stuff but it doesn't matter because he throws 91. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Still doesn't mean it isn't. I just don't think a RHP can get hitters out at the MLB level without averaging 93 on the fastball anymore. You can't even set up hitters because they'll lay off of the breaking stuff and tee off on the fastball, and if you can get 3 breaking balls over the plate then they'll just grab some bench. Watch Giolito pitch and you'll see. He still has awesome breaking stuff but it doesn't matter because he throws 91. 

No. It doesnt matter beause he cant throw the off speed pitches for strikes consistently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Corey Kluber

Tanaka

Nola

Porcello

Maeda

Orodizzi

Ross

Cueto

Greinke

These are some of the guys that get outs pretty routinely that are RHP that averaged less than 93 on their 4 Seamer last season.  I think you could make a pretty solid rotation out of those guys...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Corey Kluber

Tanaka

Nola

Porcello

Maeda

Orodizzi

Ross

Cueto

Greinke

These are some of the guys that get outs pretty routinely that are RHP that averaged less than 93 on their 4 Seamer last season.  I think you could make a pretty solid rotation out of those guys...

All of those guys can reach back for 95 when they need to, maybe Maeda and Odorizzi can't but the rest can, They might not average 93 but you'd bet your ass they average over 92. Also Porcello Ross and Kluber have excellent sinkers which kinda changes the equation a bit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Somebody should tell Kyle Hendricks that he's garbage.

He is garbage. I have no idea how he gets anyone out. He sucks. it won't last. He might have 3-5 good seasons, but isn't going to last. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Dunning 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 0 BB 9 K. Ho-hum, just another great performance from Dane Dunning, which is pretty much what he's done since arriving in the Eaton trade. Maybe he's ready for AAA?

Nah, he's only had 7 starts in AA this year, and Birmingham (or maybe the entire Southern League, I don't remember) is a pitchers park. I would give Dunning around 100 innings in AA (He's at 38.2 IP now), and then let him get his last 3-4 starts in AAA.

If they want to promote him earlier than that, that's great, but I don't think were anywhere near the point where we need to start demanding a promotion to AAA, especially when there are so many other guys that deserve to get shuffled around first.

In fact, I would like to see Cease get the spot when Dunning gets promoted. Cease is at 50 IP right now for A+ ball at age 22. He should definitely get move up to AA at some point this season, and it could certainly even be before Dunning goes to AAA.

Fun stat on Cease that I just noticed, but he's only allowed 5 HR...... IN HIS CAREER.

He's now thrown about 214 innings (a full major league season) and only 5 HR. For comparison sake, the least amount of HR by any starter in 2017 to throw at least 200 IP was Kluber, at 21 HR. 

In fact, the last pitcher to ever throw 200+ IP and allow LESS than 5 HR in season was 1994 Greg Maddux, who allowed 4 HR in 202 IP. Obviously this is the minor leagues we are talking about here, but the point is that Cease doesn't give up HR, almost ever.

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

All of those guys can reach back for 95 when they need to, maybe Maeda and Odorizzi can't but the rest can, They might not average 93 but you'd bet your ass they average over 92. Also Porcello Ross and Kluber have excellent sinkers which kinda changes the equation a bit. 

You clearly know nothing about Dane Dunning based on this post.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Learned something interesting from the Barons’ broadcast at Rickwood.

Since that game is about diversity/inclusion, they mentioned how Dunning’s mother is actually 100% South Korean, so that made him Asian-American or biracial or however you want to classify it.   Apparently, she’s actually around 5’8” and her family is also pretty tall.  (Note: Dane is listed at 6’4”)

He has a cool tattoo, “One Blood,” as well.

So that’s different, has been ages since Takatsu and Iguchi...of course, they were Japanese.  I know we also signed a Korean pitcher somewhere along the way to a decent-sized bonus but he didn’t get out of A ball.

Pretty cool story, can't wait to see him on the South Side

Still holding out hope for Gio, just been so inconsistent

14 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Wow.. just realized W-S has Mikey Duarte starting (and playing 1B). That's great for the kid, especially with what he's been through.

Nice test for W-S as they're facing one of the Cubs top pitching prospects in Alex Lange. 

Super surprised he didn't start the year in KAN (as I was with a lot of guys), glad to see him up this high already, may not be a prospect but he's no slouch either