Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
caulfield12

Speculation: Quintana back to White Sox???, rotation ideas...

Recommended Posts

LHP José Quintana – Don’t forget, there is a trade deadline coming up on Aug. 31 and this is apparently the year of White Sox pitching reunions with Richard and Gio González, so why rule out Quintana? Given the uncertainty of this season even finishing, I’m not sure I’d want to be trading away a prospect or otherwise valuable piece for an impending free agent, but let’s see how things look in a couple weeks. If the White Sox are a serious contender and need a more dependable starting pitcher, I don’t think you can rule anything out. Quintana wouldn’t cost anywhere near what the White Sox got in return (Eloy Jiménez and Dylan Cease) when they traded him to the Cubs in 2017, so it might be worth exploring. The Cubs’ starting pitching has been plenty good without Quintana (who has been out following thumb surgery) and they need bullpen help, which is something the White Sox could potentially provide. You can call me crazy, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was called crazy for suggesting a crosstown Quintana trade. It worked out the first time.

And hey, if none of these options work out, just call up first round pick Garrett Crochet. It’s 2020. Nothing should be ruled out.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/5-options-help-white-sox-rotation-dane-dunning-jose-quintana

 

The other four were Detwiler, Dane Dunning, Drew Anderson and Clayton RIchard, along with the throw-off comment about Crochet.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say what value he would have being as he hasn't pitched this year.  Also,  can't see the Cubs parting ways with him if he's pitching well and they are in playoff contention.  I wonder what it would take to get Woodruff from the Brewers if they fall out of contention before the deadline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

I wonder what it would take to get Woodruff from the Brewers if they fall out of contention before the deadline?

All of our houses and wives.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can trade for Q by shipping Eloy and Cease across town?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hendricks

Darvish

Lester

Alec Mills

T. Chatwood

 

Arguably, they don't NEED Quintana, at least not NOW, but as we all know from the White Sox trials and travails, we're already down 3 starters in Lopez/Rodon/Kopech and counting...not to mention Lambert as a depth rotation piece.

Epstein would likely be CRUCIFIED if he turned the White Sox into a playoff/World Series opponent for the Cubs.  Unlikely, sure.  But the first trade was so lopsided, the second one he'd have to force an overpay just to seem like he wasn't getting fleeced the second time around.    There are still quite a few fans who are upset about losing Jimenez/Cease, Gleyber Torres, Jorge Soler, DJ LeMahieu, Josh Donaldson, Josh Harrison, Chris Archer and that burly Kruk-like 1B/DH on the Mariners, etc.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cubs are 9-2. They aren't selling off their depth. I would be interested in Q when he becomes a free agent though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q has decent stuff but never the one out pitch. The other thing that I hated when he pitched was that it seemed he was getting paid by the hour. Sloooowwww

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, with this offense, he's the perfect pitcher to keep them in games....giving up 2-3-4 runs per start, but usually not getting blown out of the water.

It's not like there are many "magic bullet" solutions out there that don't have a bundle of flaws or aspects of their game we can't pick apart.

 

What we can't afford is a repeat of the 2000-2004 revolving door of garbage 5th/6th/7th starters.   

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HakunaMachado said:

What other realistic SPs could be available for trade then?

Mets could shop DeGrom their owner is bleeding cash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, with this offense, he's the perfect pitcher to keep them in games....giving up 2-3-4 runs per start, but usually not getting blown out of the water.

It's not like there are many "magic bullet" solutions out there that don't have a bundle of flaws or aspects of their game we can't pick apart.

 

What we can't afford is a repeat of the 2000-2004 revolving door of garbage 5th/6th/7th starters.   

Maybe in the 60-game season with expanded rosters we can?  20% of the season is over already.  
 

GioG plus 2-3 long guys might have to eat up some innings.  
 

If we get to the playoffs with our top 3 healthy, I think we can lean on them. 

Edited by Jerksticks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Maybe in the 60-game season with expanded rosters we can?  20% of the season is over already.  
 

GioG plus 2-3 long guys might have to eat up some innings.  
 

If we get to the playoffs with our top 3 healthy, I think we can lean on them. 

Well, the other way to look at this is we basically have to go 23-26 the next 49 games.

Whether we have the type of staff to win a sudden death or playoff series, let's not get too ahead of ourselves just yet.

 

I picked TEN below to trade for this season or look to sign during the offseason.

 

Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (33)
Chase Anderson (33) – $9.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Chris Archer (32) – $11MM club option with a $250K buyout
Jake Arrieta (35)
Homer Bailey (35)
***Trevor Bauer (30)
Tyler Chatwood (31)
Anthony DeSclafani (31)
Mike Fiers (36)
***Kevin Gausman (30)
Gio Gonzalez (35) — $7MM club option with a $500K buyout
Cole Hamels (37)
J.A. Happ (38) — $17MM vesting option
Rich Hill (41)
***Merrill Kelly (32) — $4.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
Corey Kluber (35) — $17.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Mike Leake (33) — $18MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Jon Lester (37) — $25MM mutual/vesting option with a $10MM buyout
***Mike Minor (33)
Matt Moore (32)
Charlie Morton (37) — $15MM vesting option
Jimmy Nelson (32) — $2MM club option (can become $9MM mutual option based on innings total)
Ivan Nova (34)
***Jake Odorizzi (31)
***James Paxton (32)
Martin Perez (30) — $6.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
Rick Porcello (32)
***Jose Quintana (32)
***Robbie Ray (29)
***Garrett Richards (33)
Tyson Ross (34)
Jeff Samardzija (36)
Anibal Sanchez (37) — $12MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Drew Smyly (32)
***Marcus Stroman (30)
Masahiro Tanaka (32)
Michael Wacha (29)
Taijuan Walker (28)
Alex Wood (30)
Jordan Zimmermann (35)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point wish we would have kept nova. Out of that list only Bauer worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Yeah, that title is false advertising.  

Caulfield peddling the fake news

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

LHP José Quintana – Don’t forget, there is a trade deadline coming up on Aug. 31 and this is apparently the year of White Sox pitching reunions with Richard and Gio González, so why rule out Quintana? Given the uncertainty of this season even finishing, I’m not sure I’d want to be trading away a prospect or otherwise valuable piece for an impending free agent, but let’s see how things look in a couple weeks. If the White Sox are a serious contender and need a more dependable starting pitcher, I don’t think you can rule anything out. Quintana wouldn’t cost anywhere near what the White Sox got in return (Eloy Jiménez and Dylan Cease) when they traded him to the Cubs in 2017, so it might be worth exploring. The Cubs’ starting pitching has been plenty good without Quintana (who has been out following thumb surgery) and they need bullpen help, which is something the White Sox could potentially provide. You can call me crazy, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was called crazy for suggesting a crosstown Quintana trade. It worked out the first time.

And hey, if none of these options work out, just call up first round pick Garrett Crochet. It’s 2020. Nothing should be ruled out.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/5-options-help-white-sox-rotation-dane-dunning-jose-quintana

 

The other four were Detwiler, Dane Dunning, Drew Anderson and Clayton RIchard, along with the throw-off comment about Crochet.

The Cubs will Never trade Quintana to the Sox . They wish they had Eloy and Cease back . They will never allow the Sox to have Quintana back . Never will happen .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, unless it's  veteran for veteran trade, dealing from excess.   Bad teams will make the playoffs so making the playoffs isn't the issue.  The Sox need a lot more than 1 or 2 pitchers to win the world series.

And aren't the Cubs a playoff contender? So why would they sell?

Edited by GreenSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Caulfield peddling the fake news

Y4Y should probably be put in charge of all thread titles hence forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Y4Y should probably be put in charge of all thread titles hence forward.

Neither of you know what you're doing with thread titles, I added the "speculation" to this one because the original was so misleading.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Neither of you know what you're doing with thread titles, I added the "speculation" to this one because the original was so misleading.

5 options to help the White Sox rotation, from Dane Dunning to José Quintana

That’s about as exciting/interesting/entertaining as the History Channel:  Civil War Buffs Shiloh Reunion Special  

Btw, shouldn’t it be whose rather than which career would you pick?

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

5 options to help the White Sox rotation, from Dane Dunning to José Quintana

That’s about as exciting/interesting/entertaining as the History Channel:  Civil War Buffs Shiloh Reunion Special  

You not being able to think of something interesting isn't much of an excuse for misleading people into thinking there was actual news or a rumor in the thread.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

You not being able to think of something interesting isn't much of an excuse for misleading people into thinking there was actual news or a rumor in the thread.

Well, fortunately, nobody will care when we get some actual real news about Madrigal, EE, etc.

But I will strive to do better in the future.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that list of available starters is so disheartening. Bauer is going to get way overpaid because of need and stroman is the only other possible option that has #2 upside. Trading for a cash strapped team and a 2-3 year contract right now is honestly the best move if Sox didn't have so many injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×