Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YourWhatHurts

Petition to Move Eloy to DH Permanently

Do you believe that Eloy should be moved to DH?  

63 members have voted

  1. 1. What say you?

    • He should be moved to DH permanently, immediately, and shouldn't receive any more OF time. Maybe even give him reps at 1B but no OF.
      24
    • Move him to DH immeditely, but in a time share situation with Vaughn or other where he still plays some LF
      5
    • Move him to DH permanently after the 2021 season; continue to risk it this season
      4
    • Keep giving him opportunities to develop into at least a non-embarrassing defensive LF who can play a season without seriously injuring himself
      30


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Too funny. I've advocated trading Eloy several times here in the past and specifically for Corbin Burnes. The overwhelming feedback to the mere suggestion was deemed as heresy. 

I don't think the Brewers would make that trade...it's pretty balanced, because you're getting more guaranteed years of JImenez, but Burnes has the upside to be 4-6 fWAR starting pitcher, really our most critical area of need.

Jimenez is going to be hard-pressed to reach those WAR numbers unless he's Manny Ramirez/prime JD Martinez/Miguel Cabrera-eque as a hitter.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the frustration with Eloy, but I wouldn't want him as a DH. I don't think it would be a good thing for a young player not to be out in the field. Then it boggles my mind that a major league player can't field his position in at least an adequate way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Come on Eloy. Play  fly balls  hit off the wall by staying back and playing the carom.

Then hit the cut-off man with your throw.  Let foul balls hit into the stands land there. So what, it is a strike on the batter.

You are not Uribe in the 9th inning of game 4 of the 2005 WS.  And you are not a baby whale getting caught in fisherman's net.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Sox can tell him to just avoid the wall and just catch the balls that are like in a 30 feet circle around him. 

Bobby Abreu was known for avoiding the wall and give up on balls that are near the top of the wall and he got a lot of criticism for that but he also was very durable and his bat was in the lineup 150+ games almost every year. 

Not sure if la Russa is the right guy for that though, he probably doesn't appreciate players not trying everything to make a play as he is pretty old school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't think the Brewers would make that trade...it's pretty balanced, because you're getting more guaranteed years of JImenez, but Burnes has the upside to be 4-6 fWAR starting pitcher, really our most critical area of need.

Jimenez is going to be hard-pressed to reach those WAR numbers unless he's Manny Ramirez/prime JD Martinez/Miguel Cabrera-eque as a hitter.

I agree Brewers wouldn't do it but there was a window at end of last season when it was feasible they might. Your assessment about his declining trade value is spot on. His lack of coordination and glass body render him a liability wherever he plays. I think this board would be disappointed at what/who he might return in trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petition is denied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not going to happen. They have Jose Abreu, Yasmani Grandal and Andrew Vaughn. Eloy Jimenez has to play the outfield. He really needs to just not try as hard as that is. Play the grounders, catch fly balls hit to him and that's about it. Moving to DH permanently is a non-starter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not going to happen. They have Jose Abreu, Yasmani Grandal and Andrew Vaughn. Eloy Jimenez has to play the outfield. He really needs to just not try as hard as that is. Play the grounders, catch fly balls hit to him and that's about it. Moving to DH permanently is a non-starter. 

My brain keeps telling me that there's no way Vaughn is a worse LF than Eloy at this point, even if he sucks in the OF.

The bar is just that low for me, but then I try and picture other 1Bs throughout the years in the OF and I realize it's a non-starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Quin said:

My brain keeps telling me that there's no way Vaughn is a worse LF than Eloy at this point, even if he sucks in the OF.

The bar is just that low for me, but then I try and picture other 1Bs throughout the years in the OF and I realize it's a non-starter.

Viciedo was fine his rookie year in 2012 and even had quite a few OF assists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say keep giving him opportunities but have a real conversation about what he can and cannot do out there. He needs to know his limitations and stay in his lane. In the long run, his shortcomings in LF will be made up for it if he can play Batters Box 150+ games every year. Hopefully the news will be good later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some overreaction here. Eloy's play was no worse that Robin Ventura shattering his leg during a play at home during Spring Training 1997. He was out until August, and by that time, the White Flag Trade was made and there went the season. This is all I expect from Eloy in left: Catch the ball if it is hit near him, hit the cut-off man when needed, and when throwing into the infield, throw to the right base. We won't need to worry about any gold glove consideration. One other thing: He shouldn't hurt himself by running into the wall or into his center fielder. In fact, let his center fielder play a good portion of left field, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’d say keep giving him opportunities but have a real conversation about what he can and cannot do out there. He needs to know his limitations and stay in his lane. In the long run, his shortcomings in LF will be made up for it if he can play Batters Box 150+ games every year. Hopefully the news will be good later today.

Gahhh I’m all down on it after watching this video. 

Man losing Eloy for 3-4+ months would be a brutal kick to the nuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gahhh I’m all down on it after watching this video. 

Man losing Eloy for 3-4+ months would be a brutal kick to the nuts. 

Shiiiitttt. That does not sound promising at all. Very informative and interesting video though.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yankees just put Mike Tauchman on the trade block apparently (brand new rumor). Their looking for a RP it seems. 

I would think that after this injury, the CWS are in on it.

That's just my speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hate to say I told you so, but I did.

all offseason I said eloy is a dh and if we put him in the OF he's going to get injured. Didn't even take the regular season for it to happen.

And the worst (saddest?) thing is that this is the second major incident in the OF just this spring. (other being running into Luis)

Absolutely bonkers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

hate to say I told you so, but I did.

all offseason I said eloy is a dh and if we put him in the OF he's going to get injured. Didn't even take the regular season for it to happen.

And the worst (saddest?) thing is that this is the second major incident in the OF just this spring. (other being running into Luis)

Absolutely bonkers.

 

He would be the DH if not for the logjam they have there. And trading Vaughn for a front of the rotation arm could have made sense, however we don't know the exact asking prices or how much needed to be added. So you don't just deal a guy for less because there is a logjam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

He would be the DH if not for the logjam they have there. And trading Vaughn for a front of the rotation arm could have made sense, however we don't know the exact asking prices or how much needed to be added. So you don't just deal a guy for less because there is a logjam.

Absolutely, but anyone also could have seen this horrid outfield injury come from a mile away, so you don't bring up Vaughn just to create the problem.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yankees just put Mike Tauchman on the trade block apparently (brand new rumor). Their looking for a RP it seems. 

I would think that after this injury, the CWS are in on it.

That's just my speculation.

He would be a nice bench piece, especially with an injury prone player in RF and doofus in LF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WAAAAAAAAAAY too many people have voted to continue giving Eloy a shot in LF.

In the wake of the injury news, this should be well past the point of being a "no brainer" decision.

Literally, Eloy couldn't even get through a ST in LF defensively and he already cost the Sox about 1 year of control in his prime, which they will pay for, and also, he added another physical obstacle to overcome in order to achieve his maximum potential with the bat, and another reason to doubt his physical ability to get there and stay there.

Enough is enough.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

WAAAAAAAAAAY too many people have voted to continue giving Eloy a shot in LF.

In the wake of the injury news, this should be well past the point of being a "no brainer" decision.

Literally, Eloy couldn't even get through a ST in LF defensively and he already cost the Sox about 1 year of control in his prime, which they will pay for, and also, he added another physical obstacle to overcome in order to achieve his maximum potential with the bat, and another reason to doubt his physical ability to get there and stay there.

Enough is enough.

So you giving Abreu away or trading Vaughn to make it happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you giving Abreu away or trading Vaughn to make it happen?

Even though Abreu's a leader, Eloy is the better bat going forward, so Eloy should be higher priority.  This isn't going to be an issue until 2022 now.  But for 2022, Vaughn should be the 1B, Eloy the DH, and Abreu can get ABs as a 1B and DH when those 2 get days off, and if Vaughn proves good enough in LF to stick there once per week, then Abreu can get ABs when the LF gets a day off with Vaughn going to LF.

I would rather try to get Abreu enough ABs to keep him somewhat happy, but whatever the case, Eloy's bat has the potential to anchor the middle of the Sox lineup during their run, and that has to take a higher priority.  Same with Vaughn at 1B and in the middle of the order.  I think Abreu will be amenable to some lesser playing time here, just because of who he is.  He could even maybe get some PH opportunities on days we don't start our UT player(s) to help rack up some appearances.

Edit: I will also add that if this team could stand to lose Frank, Robin, Buerhle and Jack McDowell, they can certainly deal with losing Jose in a trade, if necessary.  As long as KW keeps his b**** mouth shut about it this time.

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eloy needs to lose the baby fat and get in better shape like Avi Garcia did.  After Avi got injured he came back and proved he could be a decent outfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

he will continue to play left field and continue to get injured.

 

 

But there is also the players around him at SS-3B-CF.  They are 3 very valuable players.  Maybe we can get Eloy an "invisible fence"

Edited by SCCWS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×