Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
2Deep

Madrigal goes on 60 day DL, Hamstring tear: Goodwin recalled

Recommended Posts

Everyone needs to relax a bit. We do not need to sell off the farm system or disrupt the clubhouse. This team believes it can win with the “next man up” theory. We forget the job that Mendick did last year when Madrigal was hurt. He got some big hits, played good, not great defense. This is now a 100 game season. Yes, we lost 1/3 of our starting lineup. Yes, we have 2 injury prone players. Jimenez should not be given a glove when he returns. Vaughn and Lamb can handle left field. We can win enough 4 to 3 , 5 to 4 games with this pitching staff. As long as they stay heathy and I’m praying they do, we can win the division or at worst a wild card spot. Mendick/Garcia can do a decent job. Would I rather have Madrigal or a veteran 2nd baseman at a reasonable cost, of course. But we need to make do for now with what we have. If I were to tell you the we’d lose 2/3’s of our outfield and be 4 game up in 1st place you’d say no way.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Everyone needs to relax a bit. We do not need to sell off the farm system or disrupt the clubhouse. This team believes it can win with the “next man up” theory. We forget the job that Mendick did last year when Madrigal was hurt. He got some big hits, played good, not great defense. This is now a 100 game season. Yes, we lost 1/3 of our starting lineup. Yes, we have 2 injury prone players. Jimenez should not be given a glove when he returns. Vaughn and Lamb can handle left field. We can win enough 4 to 3 , 5 to 4 games with this pitching staff. As long as they stay heathy and I’m praying they do, we can win the division or at worst a wild card spot. Mendick/Garcia can do a decent job. Would I rather have Madrigal or a veteran 2nd baseman at a reasonable cost, of course. But we need to make do for now with what we have. If I were to tell you the we’d lose 2/3’s of our outfield and be 4 game up in 1st place you’d say no way.  

In theory, on how to handle this, I agree with you. Everything you say makes complete sense. The problem I have, and why maybe I'm not "relaxed" is this. I'm going to lay this right on the line. If we would have had our full team, for the year, we are the best team in the AL. Pure and simple. And there is no debating. We very easily could have ended up leading the league in runs scored and in pitching. But now, because of Robert and Jimenez, two high impact players both being out and now Madrigal for maybe the rest of the year, you're saying, again correctly I might add, that "we CAN win the division, or at worst a wild card spot." We have to think of hoping to win a WILD CARD SPOT?? With our full team, and with Minnesota having fallen apart, we should/would have won this division by 15 games. That's what's frustrating about our situation. If we don't win the division, this will become the biggest "what if" team in franchise history, replacing the 1994 strike team that never got the chance to win the World Series. I challenge anyone to come up with a bigger one. 

  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Keston Huira......he just got sent to minors......wonder of Brewers would trade him and if sox would be interested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

How about Keston Huira......he just got sent to minors......wonder of Brewers would trade him and if sox would be interested?

Why? He's been awful since last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Why? He's been awful since last year. 

Sometimes a change helps and you get him for cheap. He was fantastic 2 years ago. Still a young player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

In theory, on how to handle this, I agree with you. Everything you say makes complete sense. The problem I have, and why maybe I'm not "relaxed" is this. I'm going to lay this right on the line. If we would have had our full team, for the year, we are the best team in the AL. Pure and simple. And there is no debating. We very easily could have ended up leading the league in runs scored and in pitching. But now, because of Robert and Jimenez, two high impact players both being out and now Madrigal for maybe the rest of the year, you're saying, again correctly I might add, that "we CAN win the division, or at worst a wild card spot." We have to think of hoping to win a WILD CARD SPOT?? With our full team, and with Minnesota having fallen apart, we should/would have won this division by 15 games. That's what's frustrating about our situation. If we don't win the division, this will become the biggest "what if" team in franchise history, replacing the 1994 strike team that never got the chance to win the World Series. I challenge anyone to come up with a bigger one. 

1919...1967?

The problem is that this team won't be much BETTER next year IF IF IF we have to replace Rodon and Lynn's numbers...even if Kopech is great, we're still down ONE starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I respect Madrigal's all-out hustle on the play in which he got hurt. The Sox really truly do hustle. My question is ... with these amazing bursts of speed out of the batters box and the fact u never know where your stride is going to put your foot on first base ... I was wondering if perhaps the Sox need a new training staff. We have so many injuries I think I'd put the Sox through the most strenuous stretching regimen of any team in any sport on game day. Just a thought.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Amazing contribution to the board!!!

Let's all snipe back at each other and try to get likes because they're so cool.

It‘s amazing that you react this mad when you take shots at VAFan and others constantly. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

It‘s amazing that you react this mad when you take shots at VAFan and others constantly. 🤔

I actually like VaFAN.

The problem is that there's no need to FORCE or at least INFLUENCE people to feel a certain way, or to be a more positive/optimistic type of fan that meets their own unique individualistic approval.

Not with a franchise that has the unique history of the White Sox.

 

And it wasn't about VaFAN, it's about certain posters trying to mock others (wow, I like to make lists of players, that's my own thing, I don't do it for anyone's approval, it's more like White Sox Therapy) and doing it just to get a cheap laugh.

VaFAN is a smart guy, but he's also smart enough to realize there will eventually be more resistance to that approach...it's certainly not going to CHANGE anyone's perspective, any more than the two political parties can present what they to believe to be is "objective" evidence to convince the other side of the rightness of their cause.   In reality, those positions just become more entrenched...increasingly polarized.

We see it (nearly) every single game in terms of comments about TLR.   It's not like it has gotten better, even though we have one of the best records in the American League.   We also have an expected W/L of 20 games over .500...it's pretty darned unusual to have a difference of more than +2 or -2 for the majority of teams in MLB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Everyone needs to relax a bit. We do not need to sell off the farm system or disrupt the clubhouse. This team believes it can win with the “next man up” theory. We forget the job that Mendick did last year when Madrigal was hurt. He got some big hits, played good, not great defense. This is now a 100 game season. Yes, we lost 1/3 of our starting lineup. Yes, we have 2 injury prone players. Jimenez should not be given a glove when he returns. Vaughn and Lamb can handle left field. We can win enough 4 to 3 , 5 to 4 games with this pitching staff. As long as they stay heathy and I’m praying they do, we can win the division or at worst a wild card spot. Mendick/Garcia can do a decent job. Would I rather have Madrigal or a veteran 2nd baseman at a reasonable cost, of course. But we need to make do for now with what we have. If I were to tell you the we’d lose 2/3’s of our outfield and be 4 game up in 1st place you’d say no way.  

You don't want to lose anyone, but of the three starters Madrigal has by far the least impact in terms of his production vs. his replacement, as compared to by far the worst possible Sox injury (Robert vs. what his ahem "replacements" offer). Eloy's bat is very valuable, and Sox fans were fortunate Mercedes had a great April as well as Vaughn's great play on both sides of the ball, but more surprisingly in the field.

With today's game, with a majority of outs ending in a K, the Sox have been able to regularly play infielders in the outfield (Lamb and Mendick in addition to Vaughan). Can't do that at 2B, but Mendick and Garcia can cover the position well enough defensively. The key to the postseason will be the ability for Robert and Eloy to rehab and return before the AAA season ends. Madrigal's initial timeline gives a good possibility he may return as long as surgery is not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

1919...1967?

The problem is that this team won't be much BETTER next year IF IF IF we have to replace Rodon and Lynn's numbers...even if Kopech is great, we're still down ONE starter.

You're definitely right about 1919.  No question about it. My bad for overlooking that.  In 1967 they were in a good position to win it, but I'm not sure they were better than their competition that year. That was a sensational race between 4 teams. We certainly had the best pitching. But by far the weakest lineup. But it can be debated. Good calls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any way this current roster can guarantee a WS win. The only option is to sell off every asset. It'd be foolish not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I don't see any way this current roster can guarantee a WS win. The only option is to sell off every asset. It'd be foolish not to.

At least a few executions are also in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I don't see any way this current roster can guarantee a WS win. The only option is to sell off every asset. It'd be foolish not to.

 

Cos0nVJWYAA5vdX.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Cos0nVJWYAA5vdX.jpg

BLOW. THIS. TEAM. UP.

 

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

At least a few executions are also in order.

I thought that went without saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

I don't see any way this current roster can guarantee a WS win. The only option is to sell off every asset. It'd be foolish not to.

The mega rebuild.

Think of the absolute hauls we can get. We'll dominate the 2030s.

Unless those prospects get hurt, in which case, we dominate the 2040s.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the return package look like if we trade TLR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

With today's game, with a majority of outs ending in a K, the Sox have been able to regularly play infielders in the outfield (Lamb and Mendick in addition to Vaughan). Can't do that at 2B, but Mendick and Garcia can cover the position well enough defensively. 

I agree. Leury is a regular and can hit .280 with some game-winning hits tossed in there. Sox actually can survive this one. Sox are close to done, though if they have any more key injuries. They can't survive losses to Jose, Moncada, Timmy or Hendriks. Maybe even Grandal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

What’s the return package look like if we trade TLR?

Jhan Marinez...

 

The White Sox had initially sought the Marlins' top hitting prospect, outfielder Christian Yelich, their first-round draft pick in 2010. But after being rebuffed, Chicago settled on Marinez.

Meanwhile, the managerial vacancy could possibly result in a reunion of Reinsdorf and Tony La Russa. Reinsdorf has long stated that the biggest mistake he ever made as White Sox board chairman was allowing then-general manager Ken Harrelson to fire La Russa as Chisox manager in 1986.

Since then, La Russa has gone on to win numerous titles with the Oakland A's and St. Louis Cardinals, including the World Series with Oakland in 1989 and St. Louis in 2006.

La Russa, whose Cardinals are making a last-ditch run at the National League wild card, is a free agent after this season.

It is believed his inclinations are to either return for a 16th season with St. Louis, which appears committed to re-signing three-time MVP Luis Pujols, or retire. However, given La Russa's long-standing, close relationship with Reinsdorf, a return to Chicago's South Side, where he began his managing career in 1979, cannot be ruled out.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ozzie-guillen-parts-ways-white-sox-sources-marlins-swap-prospect-land-manager-article-1.959125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

In theory, on how to handle this, I agree with you. Everything you say makes complete sense. The problem I have, and why maybe I'm not "relaxed" is this. I'm going to lay this right on the line. If we would have had our full team, for the year, we are the best team in the AL. Pure and simple. And there is no debating. We very easily could have ended up leading the league in runs scored and in pitching. But now, because of Robert and Jimenez, two high impact players both being out and now Madrigal for maybe the rest of the year, you're saying, again correctly I might add, that "we CAN win the division, or at worst a wild card spot." We have to think of hoping to win a WILD CARD SPOT?? With our full team, and with Minnesota having fallen apart, we should/would have won this division by 15 games. That's what's frustrating about our situation. If we don't win the division, this will become the biggest "what if" team in franchise history, replacing the 1994 strike team that never got the chance to win the World Series. I challenge anyone to come up with a bigger one. 

They’re still going to win the division be 6+. Cleveland is not a good baseball team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So lets assume we grind the 3 key injuries out and take the division, they return say Mid August, is there enough of the season in Charlotte to allow them some rehab starts? IIRC they are done shortly after Sept 1 correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

So lets assume we grind the 3 key injuries out and take the division, they return say Mid August, is there enough of the season in Charlotte to allow them some rehab starts? IIRC they are done shortly after Sept 1 correct?

With the late start, they go through Sept 19, at least in Charlotte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the late start, they go through Sept 19, at least in Charlotte.

But dont they have to be on the MLB roster by such and such a date to qualify for post season? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Grinder said:

But dont they have to be on the MLB roster by such and such a date to qualify for post season? 

With an injury, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×