USA Today: White Sox Will Retain Robin Ventura, If He Wants to Return

shysocks

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Honestly, I don't even care at this point anymore.

They have bigger problems to address.

He's the least of our problems in my mind as I'm never going to go crazy one way or another about a manager. Still, this organization is an absolute mess and you need to start to change some things. Fair or not that has to start with the guy in charge of the players. I'm also not surprised by this at all, not sure why anyone would be to be completely honest. Nothing is going to change with this organization.

QUOTE (bruni @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Simple - I have been a part of a 4 ticket season ticket block since 1994. One guy is already out after this year and if I pull the plug, the whole thing goes away. If/when he gets this one year lame duck extension, I walk and the White Sox lose a 22 year season ticket block... And I know I won't be the only one saving the $$ after this latest insult to the fans. I was there last night...crickets...upper deck closed due to lack of interest...

I can't say I've been as loyal, but since I've graduated college in 2009 I've had some sort of season ticket package through the Sox directly. Whether that is 10 games or 20 games, etc. I've always done it through the Sox. It's a terrible investment usually. Take for example when you can't even get $6 for a seat on Saturday on StubHub, but I always thought of it as a way to show my love for the team and support them.

That being said, I have written them off. I haven't even gone to a game since Mid-July. This only furthers my stance. Whether they bring Robin back or not, just the fact that this got out to the media and are handling this in this way is terrible PR and a slap in the face to fans.

This organization is complete dog shiiii.

All I can say is I hope whichever team they trade Sale to is a likeable team, because I very well may jump of this teams bandwagon and onto another.

True question: Has anybody tried writing to Hahn or Jerry? Or the Sox? Like old school letter style? I really wish I could put together like a 3 page letter on all that I can't stand about this team.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
He's the least of our problems in my mind as I'm never going to go crazy one way or another about a manager. Still, this organization is an absolute mess and you need to start to change some things. Fair or not that has to start with the guy in charge of the players. I'm also not surprised by this at all, not sure why anyone would be to be completely honest. Nothing is going to change with this organization.

He's not the least of their problems, he's right in the mix of the major issues. The least would be the last arm in the pen or a solid bench player. Robin is a lame duck.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
My only hope is the Sox actually met, know they are parting ways, but agreed to let Robin be the one to own the terms of departure.

I have similar hope and hope its not my own delusional denial...

Edited by SouthWallace

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
He's not the least of their problems, he's right in the mix of the major issues. The least would be the last arm in the pen or a solid bench player. Robin is a lame duck.

Maybe "least of the problems" isn't the best way to put it but this isn't a f***ed up organization because of him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Maybe "least of the problems" isn't the best way to put it but this isn't a f***ed up organization because of him.

No but he's not the guy you want managing this team if they are ever going to go anywhere. It's time to start making some changes or its going to be same old same old again next season.

Even if they are doing it for Robin to "go out on his own terms," how does that make the franchise look?

At least if the team cuts ties, it looks like they are trying to improve. If the manager cuts ties, it looks like everyone has given up.

Bleh.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
It's time to start making some changes or its going to be same old same old again next season.

That's what it's going to be. I f***in hate that these assholes have made me into that guy but they're not going to change who they are. It'll be the same f***in s***.

Edited by Rowand44

Joe Maddon could be managing this squad and they would have finished in 4th place.

Some people want the Sox to hire Dave Martinez. If Dave Martinez was managing the 2016 White Sox and Robin Ventura was sitting next to Joe Maddon, how different would their records be than they are now?

I just think since his contract is up it would be a time to try something new. I do like the fact they aren't pinning the losing on him. That should be refreshing.

The fact is, if the players don't change, whoever manages this team will eventually be an idiot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Joe Maddon could be managing this squad and they would have finished in 4th place.

Some people want the Sox to hire Dave Martinez. If Dave Martinez was managing the 2016 White Sox and Robin Ventura was sitting next to Joe Maddon, how different would their records be than they are now?

I just think since his contract is up it would be a time to try something new. I do like the fact they aren't pinning the losing on him. That should be refreshing.

The fact is, if the players don't change, whoever manages this team will eventually be an idiot.

I don't know about that first statement.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
That's what it's going to be. I f***in hate that these assholes have made me into that guy but they're not going to change who they are. It'll be the same f***in s***.

Yeah. I also don't blame manager too much. But it's also because they aren't that big of a deal that I don't care if they are fired. If they provide some spark, great. If not, you probably didn't change anything.

But it's a signal to me that they think they should have succeeded this year and are "close". Not that they have major issues and no real strategy to achieve anything.

What a f***ing joke.

If they really mean this, they are baseball-clueless.

If they are floating it in the media to see the reaction, they are business-stupid.

If they are giving Robin an "out", they should never have let it leak, and are marketing-stupid to put it out there to be seen.

So, unless the journalist completely made this up (which I highly doubt), this is pure idiocy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
What a f***ing joke.

If they really mean this, they are baseball-clueless.

If they are floating it in the media to see the reaction, they are business-stupid.

If they are giving Robin an "out", they should never have let it leak, and are marketing-stupid to put it out there to be seen.

So, unless the journalist completely made this up (which I highly doubt), this is pure idiocy.

It's Nightingale so the last part is for sure out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
If they trade Sale and bring back Robin they should expect ALOT fewer tickets sold next season.

I don't know what better sign you can get that they are not trading sale than this step. The front office is ok with where things are right now at all levels. They will keep saying they're doing a great job and no one challenges that format. Robin is one of those yes men, so why wouldn't he be back?