NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)
Soxtalk majority has been so anti NL for a long time. Cmon anybody deny this?

Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball regardless of league but he would not have a career ERA of 2.37 if he pitched in the AL.

Also, AL is the superior league, just take a look at interleague results since 2004.

http://www.stevetheump.com/interleague.htm

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I have mixed emotions about tonight. Be happy if they win for my good cub friends or root for a melt down. Decisions decisions

Whenever I watch around my friends, I don't cheer for either team but deep down, I want them to lose. If they win the whole thing? Oh well, life goes on.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
It's not far stretched to think the White Sox could have won more than 85 games this season if they had played in the NL. The disparity between the leagues is real and has been large for the last decade.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nl...e-play-for-now/

Which makes it ironic that the NL has won more World Series over that stretch since the disparity is not really close.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
Which makes it ironic that the NL has won more World Series over that stretch since the disparity is not really close.

I don't know if it's ironic or more a product of more difficult schedule in the regular and post season leading up to the World Series. If FiveThirtyEight is correct (which they usually are), the AL team that reaches the World Series has had a much more difficult path and likely has more wear and tear on its players.

I'm totally speculating. I have no idea if statistics bear out my hypothesis.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)

Playoffs are weird because the best team rarely wins it all:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playo...b-teams-win-all

The larger sample size provided by the regular season/interleague play is more representative. Also, it's generally easier to get by with less depth in the playoffs than the postseason. Cleveland wouldn't be able to use Miller in the way they have in the playoffs over the course of a 162-game season. Also, you can basically get by with a 3 man rotation in the playoffs but need at least 5 if not more (due to injuries) in the regular season. In general, the AL is much deeper than the NL and has been for awhile now.