MLB Trade Rumors Predictions

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016...redictions.html

29. Jason Castro – White Sox. Two years, $15MM. Castro, a 29-year-old catcher, hasn’t hit much for the Astros since his 2013 All-Star season. As a left-handed batter, Castro has demonstrated particular issues against southpaws. Still, the former first-rounder is one of the game’s better pitch framers and should still serve as a starting catcher somewhere. A three-year deal is possible. The Astros will look to retain him, otherwise the Nationals, White Sox, Braves, Orioles, Angels, Rockies, Rays, and Twins could be interested.

33. Carlos Beltran – White Sox. One year, $14MM. Beltran, 40 in April, raked for 99 games with the Yankees this year but dropped off a bit after a deadline deal to the Rangers. Though he played over 500 innings in right field, Beltran is likely limited to an American League team. The veteran switch-hitter is putting the finishing touches on an illustrious career, and ranks fourth among active players with 421 career home runs. The Rangers could bring him back, or the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Indians, Astros, Royals, Orioles, or White Sox could have interest. A two-year deal is possible, if Beltran wants to commit to it.

39. Boone Logan – White Sox. Two years, $12MM. Logan, 32, signed a three-year, $16.5MM deal with the Rockies after the 2013 season. His first two seasons went poorly, but the lefty finally found success this year. Part of that was a low BABIP, and Logan does have issues with right-handed batters. Still, decent lefty relievers are often at a premium in free agency. The White Sox, Cubs, Blue Jays, Brewers, and Mariners are a few potential options.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
So they think we'll be buyers?

Those are 3 moves a rebuilding team can make as well. Good defensive catcher and left handed reliever (we have almost no depth for either) and Beltran fills DH hole. Still have to put a team on the field.

Edited by soxfan2014

The article also lists us as interested potentially in:

Fowler

Desmond

Bautista

Ramos

Wieters

Reddick

Gomez

Saunders

Napoli

Morales

Wood

Cecil

Moss

Jay

Holliday

Give me 4 of those top 7 or sell it all.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
I think we could be sellers and still make all of those moves.

I agree those could be moves of sellers with one exception, Beltran. He isn't signing a deal with a team he knows will be bad. He'll go to a team where he thinks they at least have a chance at contending.

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
Merkin saying they probably won't be big spenders, regardless of the path chosen. Not sure how much stock to put into it, but it's interesting.

Get ready for months of misinformation and posturing. We won't know what's gonna happen until it happens. We have enough history with Hanh now to know that. With Kenny it was easier to read between the lines and know what was bulls***. Not so much with Rick.

In that way and that way alone, I miss KW.

I go back and forth so much. From wanting to make a push and do it right with these pitchers and core to blowing it all up. I think if you are going to spend though you have to do it on guys like MLBTraderumors just mentioned.

If we are going to make a push, unfortunately it will probably have to be a half assed one and with guys you can sign for 1-2 years and if it doesn't work out you can flip them. It's kind of what they did by acquiring Frazier and Lawrie and those guys before. It was an all-in, 3 year window where basically we knew we could blow it up this year and trade off pieces. If you are going to keep on that path someone like a Beltran.

The people I like on that list at those numbers are:

Ian Desmond - 4years 60mm (yes qualifying offer). I still think at $15mm a year he's a good get. Can play probably 5 positions and has value in trade market if you want to flip him. Also very tough to give up that draft pick, so it depends on if we are going for it this year.

Rich Hill - 3 years and $50mm. You can never have enough pitching and I don't care that he's a lefty. IF you are going for it and you have a rotation of Sale, Q, Hill, Rodon, Gonzalez with Shields as your long relief guy and for any injuries + Fulmer if he turns a corner? That's a team that is probably the most stacked rotation in the league. Yes he's older. But if you can get a guy like that w/ only a 3 year contract tied to him? I think I'd do it.

Josh Reddick - 3years 36mm. I think it's a buy low. He cant really hit LHP which is not good. But I think he adds a lot to this team being able to play all OF positions and allowing Melky to switch to DH some days.

Kendrys Morales 2yr 26mm - If you don't sign antoher bat at least he's a guy you can count on for 25 hrs about a .275 BA with good OBP. I'd take him over Trumbo. And especially when you talk money too.

Jason Castro - 2yr 15mm - simple, cheap, upgrade with no contract duration

And then some bullpen arm and a guy like Beltran if you don't get one of those bats above.

I think adding any of those guys in some combination still allow us to stay within in our budget yet improve and all have value where you can trade them in July or offseason if things don't work out.

Admittedly Desmond would be the biggest gamble with the pick tied to him.

If truly going for it. And Jerry gives the sign off? I'd go Desmond Reddick and Castro and Hill. You'd have the best rotation in the league. Desmond in CF, Reddick in LF, Melky at DH. You improved your OF defense, your DH spot, and your catcher/catcher defense.

All that being said? Blow it up.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I go back and forth so much. From wanting to make a push and do it right with these pitchers and core to blowing it all up. I think if you are going to spend though you have to do it on guys like MLBTraderumors just mentioned.

If we are going to make a push, unfortunately it will probably have to be a half assed one and with guys you can sign for 1-2 years and if it doesn't work out you can flip them. It's kind of what they did by acquiring Frazier and Lawrie and those guys before. It was an all-in, 3 year window where basically we knew we could blow it up this year and trade off pieces. If you are going to keep on that path someone like a Beltran.

The people I like on that list at those numbers are:

Ian Desmond - 4years 60mm (yes qualifying offer). I still think at $15mm a year he's a good get. Can play probably 5 positions and has value in trade market if you want to flip him. Also very tough to give up that draft pick, so it depends on if we are going for it this year.

Rich Hill - 3 years and $50mm. You can never have enough pitching and I don't care that he's a lefty. IF you are going for it and you have a rotation of Sale, Q, Hill, Rodon, Gonzalez with Shields as your long relief guy and for any injuries + Fulmer if he turns a corner? That's a team that is probably the most stacked rotation in the league. Yes he's older. But if you can get a guy like that w/ only a 3 year contract tied to him? I think I'd do it.

Josh Reddick - 3years 36mm. I think it's a buy low. He cant really hit LHP which is not good. But I think he adds a lot to this team being able to play all OF positions and allowing Melky to switch to DH some days.

Kendrys Morales 2yr 26mm - If you don't sign antoher bat at least he's a guy you can count on for 25 hrs about a .275 BA with good OBP. I'd take him over Trumbo. And especially when you talk money too.

Jason Castro - 2yr 15mm - simple, cheap, upgrade with no contract duration

And then some bullpen arm and a guy like Beltran if you don't get one of those bats above.

I think adding any of those guys in some combination still allow us to stay within in our budget yet improve and all have value where you can trade them in July or offseason if things don't work out.

Admittedly Desmond would be the biggest gamble with the pick tied to him.

If truly going for it. And Jerry gives the sign off? I'd go Desmond Reddick and Castro and Hill. You'd have the best rotation in the league. Desmond in CF, Reddick in LF, Melky at DH. You improved your OF defense, your DH spot, and your catcher/catcher defense.

All that being said? Blow it up.

So, regarding the staying in budget part of that, without counting the "Some bullpen arm" I add that up as being somewhere over $160 million with the total payroll.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Brian - that was a good post but it made me want to vomit.

Oh, I agree. Your lineup would be:

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, Desmond, Frazier, Reddick, Anderson, Lawrie, Castro

To me that doesn't scream anything much different than what we've seen over the past years. The simplest way I can break it down is this.. what percentage chance do you think we have making the playoffs in any of the next 2-3 years with Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core?

I think maybe 10-20% each year .... and because of that I think you blow it up. Just thought I'd play devils advocate if Jerry was open to adding $50-60mm to his payroll (not going to happen)

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Oh, I agree. Your lineup would be:

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, Desmond, Frazier, Reddick, Anderson, Lawrie, Castro

To me that doesn't scream anything much different than what we've seen over the past years. The simplest way I can break it down is this.. what percentage chance do you think we have making the playoffs in any of the next 2-3 years with Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core?

I think maybe 10-20% each year .... and because of that I think you blow it up. Just thought I'd play devils advocate if Jerry was open to adding $50-60mm to his payroll (not going to happen)

On paper it does seem deeper than what we've seen the last 2 years, but that's assuming you don't have a Reddick or Cabrera or Desmond implosion, all of which have happened in the past couple years. It's a solid but not great lineup if everything works well, but "if everything works well" has been a very dangerous phrase for the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
If they didn't resign him last winter, they aren't signing him this year.

I don't agree. I don't think they will sign him regardless because he's the worst catcher in baseball. He was never going to be back on a team that Robin Ventura managed though.