The domino that could catapult the white sox into a fire sale

Whisox05

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
we get more coverage in NYC than in Chicago.

Because we're bad and we have pieces the Yankees and Mets could be interested in...and yet can't afford.

Finally stories about baseball that aren't cubs-centric. The White Sox hold the offseason cards.

Edited by Deadpool

If the White Sox are dangling Sale and/or Q at the beginning of these GM meetings, they literally do control the fate of the entire offseason. This can turn into a mega bidding war that can benefit the White Sox for a very long time. The pitching market sucks. Time to finally sell high on players, in this case-- very very high!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 06:21 AM)
If the White Sox are dangling Sale and/or Q at the beginning of these GM meetings, they literally do control the fate of the entire offseason. This can turn into a mega bidding war that can benefit the White Sox for a very long time. The pitching market sucks. Time to finally sell high on players, in this case-- very very high!

So I guess RickyGM will be vindicated for not doing jack s*** during the 2016 trade deadline??

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Dan Hayes on Twitter: "Can't say definitively, bc Rick Hahn qualified everything w/ "regardless of which direction" taken -- but all signs say #WhiteSox will sell."

I tried to tell everyone Ricky pretty much said that to season ticketholders in August. Obviously he just won't sell everyone regardless of the bid. Teams are going to have to meet a price,but if they do, they are rebuilding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I tried to tell everyone Ricky pretty much said that to season ticketholders in August. Obviously he just won't sell everyone regardless of the bid. Teams are going to have to meet a price,but if they do, they are rebuilding.

I do remember you saying that and I've been wanting to believe it but feel like I can't until I see the first move lol

So if they sell, who gets moved? I would assume one of Sale/Quintana for a haul, Miguel Gonzalez (maybe?) to a team in need of back end starter depth, Frazier, and Melky?

Robertson and Lawrie as guys who can be moved in the summer?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)

If done correctly with some of our huge trade chips and the FA class in 2018, we can compete in 2019.

QUOTE (Real @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
It's hilarious that there are journalists and even posters on this site that actually believe the Sox are gonna blow it up.

should know better by this point

We'll see after the first move. I don't want to believe or expect anything until I see the first official move and not just speculation and rumors.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
If done correctly with some of our huge trade chips and the FA class in 2018, we can compete in 2019.

Hahn mentioned a few times last August that the team will likely step away from the 'half-measured' approach. Either they will go ALL IN (which would be silly with this free agent class) Or they are rebuilding. Something that is long overdue. With this many assets to sell off, a 2019 target year does seem realistic. You would be selling high on Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu and also can get reasonable returns for 1 year rentals: Frazier and Melky.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
If we do sell, Sale, Quintana, Eaton, Jones, Abreu, and Robertson all need to go. Keep Lawrie, Frazier, and Melky and trade them at the deadline unless blown away with an offer.

You may not get that many hauls for that first group. 4 if not all 5 would require a lot. It makes sense that one or two are dealt and the others slowly get dealt over next year or two. I would also wait until the deadline to move Robertson so he can recoup some value.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
How are we selling high on Abreu again?

His value has diminished considerably from midseason 2014.

I may be crazy, but giving up 2 or 3 good prospects for 3 years of Abreu sounds better than giving up one prospect (a draft pick) and $125 million to a 34-year old Encarnacion (I guess it depends on if the team is also looking not to spend a lot of cash or not).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
You may not get that many hauls for that first group. 4 if not all 5 would require a lot. It makes sense that one or two are dealt and the others slowly get dealt over next year or two. I would also wait until the deadline to move Robertson so he can recoup some value.

Why not? Sale and Quintana, their markets are well documented for potential suitors. Jones is comparable to Ken Giles. Adam Eaton has just come off the best year of his career and their are many good teams out there looking for a good/great cheap 1B (Red Sox, Rangers, Pirates, Astros)