Who is the first guy traded ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If, indeed the rebuild is on it's way, who would you like to see traded first ?

I'd like to see Nate Jones be the 1st guy traded just to take advantage of the hot relief market and get an idea of how much a high end reliever with years of control fetches on the open market.

If the Sox could net 2/3 decent prospects for Jones I'd be encouraged that the rest of the rebuild is in good hands.

Just as a side note expect the trend from last years draft to continue in any trade. I think the Sox concentrate on getting good OBP guys for the position players and of course more pitching.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Sale is the linchpin that opens the floodgates. I don't think the rebuild starts unless they're pleased with the offer they get for Sale.

That's what I'm thinking as well. If the Sox don't get the offers they seek for Sale then we probably suffer through another season of "going for it".

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Sale is the linchpin that opens the floodgates. I don't think the rebuild starts unless they're pleased with the offer they get for Sale.

Disagree with this. Merkin told me yesterday that he expects some smaller deals to happen soon(ish). I think your impending free agents go regardless of the pitchers.

With all the attention surrounding Sale and Q possibly being dealt, I can see something else occurring first. Like an Abreu deal or an Eaton deal. A deal like that would officially signal to a rebuild. This will essentially get other executives excited about a possibility of getting Sale or Q which can start an early bidding war between GMs.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
Disagree with this. Merkin told me yesterday that he expects some smaller deals to happen soon(ish). I think your impending free agents go regardless of the pitchers.

I saw a tweet from another exec who stated the same. That being the case, who knows...I think if someone gets proactive and offers something we really like for Sale or Q, it might just happen at any time.

My fear is we start moving Melky and others, and in the meantime, while we are putzing around, the Rays move Archer to the Dodgers, or the Tigers move Verlander to Boston, and suddenly, we have no market anymore.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
I saw a tweet from another exec who stated the same. That being the case, who knows...I think if someone gets proactive and offers something we really like for Sale or Q, it might just happen at any time.

My fear is we start moving Melky and others, and in the meantime, while we are putzing around, the Rays move Archer to the Dodgers, or the Tigers move Verlander to Boston, and suddenly, we have no market anymore.

Plus, I'm not sure just moving Melky, etc. does a whole lot in terms of our long term outlook. Are we really going to get back much of anything for these guys?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
He DMed me on twitter. I asked: Do you think White Sox wait awhile to make first trade. Merkin said: I think there will be smaller trades soon(ish). He didn't elaborate further.

Interesting. If we can trade the likes of Lawrie, Frazier, Robertson, and Melky and get a few decent prospects back, then trade the big guns like Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu we can be in for business.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Interesting. If we can trade the likes of Lawrie, Frazier, Robertson, and Melky and get a few decent prospects back, then trade the big guns like Sale, Q, Eaton and Abreu we can be in for business.

Lawrie and Robertson 's value may be down as both are coming off down seasons as well as surgery. Doubt either goes until next July.