Rumor: Dodgers & Sox discussing Sale & Frazier

DirtySox

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
I would do the deal personally from Washington's perspective, but it's not a layup at all. Turner has substantially longer control and likely more "projected surplus" than Sale.

But, if you look at what they're projected to do in 2017, Chris Sale is projected to put up 5 WAR, Turner is projected to put up 3. Washington is in a position where they have a 2 year deadline - compete now or else, since Bryce Harper will be wearing a Yankee uniform.

They might not be willing to give up much beyond Turner, but it makes them substantially better right now.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodgers Top 100 players from BA's mid-season list:

24. Cody Bellinger 1b Dodgers Leveraged lefthanded swing produces 30-homer power potential, while his glove draws Gold Glove raves.

25. Jose De Leon rhp Dodgers Limited to seven Triple-A starts thus far, he still misses bats with premium stuff.

44. Alex Verdugo of Dodgers Compact lefthanded swing has movements that tend more toward hit over power, and 20-year-old has .150 ISO in Double-A.

60. Grant Holmes rhp Dodgers Scouts who love him see a future No. 2 or No. 3 starter. Those more skeptical see a power reliever future.

82. Frankie Montas rhp Dodgers Rib injuries have ruined Montas’ season so far. He may not be much help in 2016 but still offers a very intriguing power arm.

98. Willie Calhoun 2b Dodgers Calhoun is proving he can hit. He’s got some work to do to prove he can stick at second base.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 07:24 AM)

24. Cody Bellinger 1b Dodgers Leveraged lefthanded swing produces 30-homer power potential, while his glove draws Gold Glove raves.

25. Jose De Leon rhp Dodgers Limited to seven Triple-A starts thus far, he still misses bats with premium stuff.

44. Alex Verdugo of Dodgers Compact lefthanded swing has movements that tend more toward hit over power, and 20-year-old has .150 ISO in Double-A.

60. Grant Holmes rhp Dodgers Scouts who love him see a future No. 2 or No. 3 starter. Those more skeptical see a power reliever future.

82. Frankie Montas rhp Dodgers Rib injuries have ruined Montas’ season so far. He may not be much help in 2016 but still offers a very intriguing power arm.

98. Willie Calhoun 2b Dodgers Calhoun is proving he can hit. He’s got some work to do to prove he can stick at second base.

Montas Holmes aren't in air system now.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)

Holmes and Montas went to Oakland at the deadline for Hill and Reddick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
I am not even convinced about 2020 with a real sell off.

Yeah, gonna have to plead some ignorance here not knowing what we are getting back. But I really like our 2016 draft class, assume I'll like our returns. Much of the rumors are of players in AA/AAA. That could be first year they come up. Our budget would be super low, and could feasibly load up on holes in 2019 with a much deeper team.

But, obviously risky. If we get really bad returns and only 3-4 starters let alone stars then this is a decade lost.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Yeah, gonna have to plead some ignorance here not knowing what we are getting back. But I really like our 2016 draft class, assume I'll like our returns. Much of the rumors are of players in AA/AAA. That could be first year they come up. Our budget would be super low, and could feasibly load up on holes in 2019 with a much deeper team.

But, obviously risky. If we get really bad returns and only 3-4 starters let alone stars then this is a decade lost.

What is it if we hold onto everyone until they leave via free agency finishing middle of the pack every year?

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Ahh another two months of me furiously updating this site, mlb trade rumors, and twitter.

The joy

I'm right there with you. This could be one of, if not the most epic offseason in White Sox history. While I love our players, big time trades that may revitalize the franchise are enough to get me stoked about next year. Heck, if enough of the new acquisitions actually play next year, you might even see me go to more games!

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I'm right there with you. This could be one of, if not the most epic offseason in White Sox history. While I love our players, big time trades that may revitalize the franchise are enough to get me stoked about next year. Heck, if enough of the new acquisitions actually play next year, you might even see me go to more games!

Young exciting talent, cheap tickets, short beer and bathroom lines? I will be there to drink a few beers and have a good time with some buds for sure. This past season, I basically refused to go for the last 3 months.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Young exciting talent, cheap tickets, short beer and bathroom lines? I will be there to drink a few beers and have a good time with some buds for sure. This past season, I basically refused to go for the last 3 months.

We had plans to go to a couple of games in July and probably for the rest of the year, but when the "Meltdown" happened we pretty much decided against it. It's sad, the Sox could have started playing well, but we almost knew that they wouldn't. The Sox currently have exciting players worth seeing in person, but it's incredibly disheartening to have an exciting start to the season followed by sheer mediocrity. There was no reason for me to move my butt into the city, pay several dollars for transit or parking and beer, as well as food. It doesn't help that I'm a student and I have to be concerned about my budget. When I choose to expend on entertainment, I want to be excited about it. I couldn't find excitement even for Sale games.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
We had plans to go to a couple of games in July and probably for the rest of the year, but when the "Meltdown" happened we pretty much decided against it. It's sad, the Sox could have started playing well, but we almost knew that they wouldn't. The Sox currently have exciting players worth seeing in person, but it's incredibly disheartening to have an exciting start to the season followed by sheer mediocrity. There was no reason for me to move my butt into the city, pay several dollars for transit or parking and beer, as well as food. It doesn't help that I'm a student and I have to be concerned about my budget. When I choose to expend on entertainment, I want to be excited about it. I couldn't find excitement even for Sale games.

I feel ya man. I've been on a budget most of this past year due to most of my earnings going towards my school loans. Trying to save money by paying them off ASAP lol

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)

Obviously we don't know what we are getting back, but the top theme of all of the rumors is that none of the returning teams want to give up their top guys.

Past that, you have to figure that the vast majority of players we get in these deals won't start seeing the majors until probably 2018, at least. A few of the headliners might make the team this year, but for the most part 2017 will be a wasted year in terms of major league development. For example, take any of the Boston deals that are being talked about. Benietendi is the one top guy out of those deals who will be here in 2017, if he is even available. Unless Bradley is in a deal, every other players soonest ETA is September 2017, at the earliest. Moncada, maybe late 17. Devers. Koepech, Groome are years away.

Take the Dodgers deal, Urias is the main guy who would be here to start 2017. The other top guys, could start here in 17, as many have gotten AAA, but are most likely mid to late 17 arrivals. DeLeon and Barnes could be here. Bellinger got 3 games in AAA, so probably mid to late year at earliest (not rushing him). Alvarez, Buehler, Lux are years away.

Realistically even once guys get here, they aren't going to be instantly good. That process typically takes 1 to 3 years to come together. That leaves 2018 and 2019 as the years we actually start to get an idea of if these guys are really going to be major league players or not, just for the early wave of players.

Also keep in mind, unlike teams like the top notch teams who have done this, we aren't going to be able to spend once players do start arriving. The fan base isn't going to return until actual winning takes place.

The idea of rebuilding through Latin America is probably also dead in this CBA, as the international draft appears to be here. Though even if we were to do so, the kids we are signing there are at least a half of a decade away from making their major league debuts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
Obviously we don't know what we are getting back, but the top theme of all of the rumors is that none of the returning teams want to give up their top guys.

Past that, you have to figure that the vast majority of players we get in these deals won't start seeing the majors until probably 2018, at least. A few of the headliners might make the team this year, but for the most part 2017 will be a wasted year in terms of major league development. For example, take any of the Boston deals that are being talked about. Benietendi is the one top guy out of those deals who will be here in 2017, if he is even available. Unless Bradley is in a deal, every other players soonest ETA is September 2017, at the earliest. Moncada, maybe late 17. Devers. Koepech, Groome are years away.

Take the Dodgers deal, Urias is the main guy who would be here to start 2017. The other top guys, could start here in 17, as many have gotten AAA, but are most likely mid to late 17 arrivals. DeLeon and Barnes could be here. Bellinger got 3 games in AAA, so probably mid to late year at earliest (not rushing him). Alvarez, Buehler, Lux are years away.

Realistically even once guys get here, they aren't going to be instantly good. That process typically takes 1 to 3 years to come together. That leaves 2018 and 2019 as the years we actually start to get an idea of if these guys are really going to be major league players or not, just for the early wave of players.

Also keep in mind, unlike teams like the top notch teams who have done this, we aren't going to be able to spend once players do start arriving. The fan base isn't going to return until actual winning takes place.

The idea of rebuilding through Latin America is probably also dead in this CBA, as the international draft appears to be here. Though even if we were to do so, the kids we are signing there are at least a half of a decade away from making their major league debuts.

I read all of this and only digested the parts that indicate 2019 as feasible :lol:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...yadier-alvarez/

Yadier Alvarez isn't a decade away. $16 million price tag on July 2nd. It would be amazing to bring in both him and Moncada.

Was easily hitting 100 mph in the Midwest League, you take him over DeLeon, especially if no Urias.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...tching/2016/ALL

55 ks in 39 IP for Great Lakes, MWL. Will turn 21 next March.

With Sale and Frazier, it feels like you almost have to get Urias. Otherwise, you clearly need 5-6 guys back, starting with Bellinger, De Leon, Verdugo and Alvarez as well as a catcher.

Puig would be the other wild card...although more for selling tickets and repackaging him. Might not want him for more than a season or 1 1/2 years anyway. But he would meet the bill of providing some marketing hype.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 12:39 AM)
I bet the Sox are asking for Seager, as they should be, and the Dodgers are countering with these lame Urias proposals everybody is pitching on here.

Look, average major leaguers get traded for average major leaguers all the time, and good major leaguers get traded for good major leaguers all the time as well. Chris Sale is not only a superstar but a top superstar. I can understand the Dodgers being hesitant to start a deal with Seager, but that's because it's a fair place to start. This whole Urias is untouchable talk is utter nonsense. Urias is not a good enough get as the main piece. Not even close. Seager, more interesting for sure. Even he is a little bit too unproven.

I know it's popular to underestimate the capabilities of the front office but this is CFS we're talking about. The franchise is going to get a historic ransom if a deal goes through. I don't think it will. Salary inflation has made it nearly impossible for the Sox to get fair value.

lol