Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
The #WhiteSox kept asking for #RedSox 3B Rafael Dever in Chris Sale trade, but the RedSox refused. Compromise: Victor Diaz and Luis Basabe.

Check out @BNightengale's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806...0049196032?s=09

This is a minor disappointment but hard to complain. I might have taken Devers over Kopech TBH.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
The #WhiteSox kept asking for #RedSox 3B Rafael Dever in Chris Sale trade, but the RedSox refused. Compromise: Victor Diaz and Luis Basabe.

Check out @BNightengale's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806...0049196032?s=09

When I first looked at Basabe's 2016 stats, I was concerned with the number of K's (419 AB/116 K), but last season he was only 19 playing Low A Ball. I'm sure he played a lot against Kanny, so he should be well scouted. I'm really looking forward to see how he does in 2017, probably starting at W-S.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)

Don't think you can equate Diaz/Basabe with Devers. Should have demanded Groome/Basabe or ERod

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Don't think you can equate Diaz/Basabe with Devers. Should have demanded Groome/Basabe or ERod

Yah, I think this trade looks SOOO much better with ERod or Groome added on as the 3rd piece, Basabe the 4th, and Diaz the 5th. BUt oh well.

Can't complain about the 1st two pieces.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Yah, I think this trade looks SOOO much better with ERod or Groome added on as the 3rd piece, Basabe the 4th, and Diaz the 5th. BUt oh well.

I doubt the conversation went:

We want devers

No

Okay well we'll take Basabe and your 30th ranked prospect then

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
I'm curious what the general impression is here from those who closely follow the Sox minor league system, regarding if they got enough for Sale (Rabbitt for example) I saw this in the Tribune today and it made me wonder:

"Red Sox President Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday that when Hahn asked last weekend if he still had interest in Sale, he told Hahn it depended on the price.

"Well, we're going to get away from some of the things we have asked for in the past," Hahn told Dombrowski."

Let the discussion begin (and if I'm late to the party on this topic I've been on the road the last week with games against Utah State, Colorado and Wisconsin. (Whom ISU actually beat last night at the Kohl Center)

Mark

Are you asking us to give you more fuel for your lifelong crusade against Sox management? Do your own leg work. You're a journalist, right?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)

Yeah, I have that same smidge of disappointment that what was supposed to an "unprecedented haul" ended up a tad smaller than hoped. One more significant piece like Devers could have offset that a little. Still in all, a good trade with a great headliner.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Yeah, I have that same smidge of disappointment that what was supposed to an "unprecedented haul" ended up a tad smaller than hoped. One more significant piece like Devers could have offset that a little. Still in all, a good trade with a great headliner.

Agreed. Felt like it was a piece off. But combined with the Eaton deal, great hauls so far.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Man I wanted Devers badly. *Sad face*

Hang in there...if we had received Devers, then no Basabe whom I think will develop well. The speed, defense and arm alone give him a high floor at a premium defensive position. I think his power and approach at the plate will pleasantly surprise.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)

I think the addition of Devers would have made it a grand slam.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
I think the addition of Devers would have made it a grand slam.

Moncada/Devers/Kopech would have been an overpay from Boston's perspective

That is 3 top thirty prospects for one player, the risk would be arguably too huge.

The White Sox tried hard, but Boston knew they had the best offer on the table as nobody else was offering a true blue chip prospect along the lines of Moncada

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Moncada/Devers/Kopech would have been an overpay from Boston's perspective

That is 3 top thirty prospects for one player, the risk would be arguably too huge.

The White Sox tried hard, but Boston knew they had the best offer on the table as nobody else was offering a true blue chip prospect along the lines of Moncada

Agree with both parts of this. The Sox would have needed to add another piece to their end to balance things out. Plus, like you said, no one was bidding up the Red Sox' current offer.

I think one thing we as white sox fans had a hard time valuing was that Moncada wasn't just a #1 prospect in baseball but a very highly touted one. He wasn't someone you could just plug in a formula of "we need 3 top 30 prospects".

Teams that have a Moncada don't trade them, just like teams that have Sale at that point in the contract don't trade them.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
Probably could have had Devers if we paid Moncada's $30M? How many prospects is that $30M worth.

I have seen nothing from DD that they cared at all about that money. They just couldn't justify trading both of their 3b options.

We’ve already heard about how the White Sox wanted Rafael Devers as part of the Chris Sale trade, and Gammons reports that Chicago also had interest in Andrew Benintendi as the deal’s starting point but Boston refused. Benintendi, another highly-touted prospect, made a strong MLB debut in 2016 and looks to start next year as the Red Sox starting left fielder.

From MLB trade rumors citing Gammons.