Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I'd rather have Franklin Perez than Whitely, Perez should be a top ten pitching prospect when the rankings are updated.

Franklin Perez is currently their #4 prospect according to the Baseball America most recent update.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
I have a feeling that something will happen soon.

Agreed. Nightengale did a podcast with Buster Olney on Friday and said he'd be shocked if Quintana is "on the Sox in a week" (so this Friday/the 16th).

As we all know he's pretty plugged in with the front office, so I think something happens soon. The recent news out of Houston also feels like posturing - i.e. our asking price being too high, as well as interest in Duffy.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Yeah, Reed/Tucker/Fisher/Whitely for Q alone is alot to ask. I think offering Jennings or Putnam balances that out a bit.

Astros have a really good bullpen. If we were to trade Putnam/Jennings straight up to them not sure we get anywhere close to anyone mentioned so I don't think they add anything for this deal.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Yeah, Reed/Tucker/Fisher/Whitely for Q alone is alot to ask. I think offering Jennings or Putnam balances that out a bit.

Perhaps, but it lets them keep both Martes and Musgrove, and doesn't really take much away from their 2017 season, outside of Reed who probably played himself out 2017 at bats with his 2016 season.

I agree it is alot, and I'd be willing to add a Putnam or Jennings to the package to make it happen. But I want both Tucker and Fisher. Reed seems like a good fit and a nice buy low. I am fine with the 4th piece being an arm that is further away since we already have GIolito and Lopez ready to step in, Fulmer not too far behind them, and Kopech a year or so behind them. Whiteley makes sense in that regard.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Q to Colorado is what I'm hoping for, though I haven't seen anything that suggested that the teams are seriously talking.

Yah, Colorado makes the most sense on paper. Tons of guys I like there. Seems they may be easier to fleece than the Astros who appear to be going at this thing conservatively.

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Agreed. Nightengale did a podcast with Buster Olney on Friday and said he'd be shocked if Quintana is "on the Sox in a week" (so this Friday/the 16th).

As we all know he's pretty plugged in with the front office, so I think something happens soon. The recent news out of Houston also feels like posturing - i.e. our asking price being too high, as well as interest in Duffy.

That would be great, just in time for Xmas

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Reed fills one of the biggest holes in the Sox organization (power). He is Major league ready and should be a must in any deal for Q

I like Reed as well. Kid has raked damn near every year in the minors. Would be a fantastic buy low type.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 06:25 PM)
Yah, Colorado makes the most sense on paper. Tons of guys I like there. Seems they may be easier to fleece than the Astros who appear to be going at this thing conservatively.

First of all, I am really excited to join Soxtalk as a longtime lurker.

I think Houston will pay up at some point. I don't see them just hoping that Keuchel recovers that magic from last year or thinking Duffy truly became a reliable front line starter.

But if I had a choice, I would prefer a trade for Rodgers+.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
I think the Astros would never agree to that.

It's between Fisher is v. good but doubt we can get both and I prefer Tucker.

Reed/Tucker/Martes is really the "makes sense" scenario here. My dream scenario is the Rodgers/Tapia/Pint deal.

Fisher 32% K rate in the minors last season gives me a ton of pause when considering his potential. He has pop and gets on base, but there is potential there to be eaten alive by major league pitchers.

So the Dodgers wanted to keep Hill, Jansen and Turner and it looks like they'll do just that. You think they decide to get a little aggressive now that they've accomplished their goals? Maybe jump into the Quintana derby?

Just pure speculation by me but bringing back the same team as last year while the Cubs and Nationals get better doesn't seem like a recipe for breaking through and winning the pennant.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
So the Dodgers wanted to keep Hill, Jansen and Turner and it looks like they'll do just that. You think they decide to get a little aggressive now that they've accomplished their goals? Maybe jump into the Quintana derby?

Just pure speculation by me but bringing back the same team as last year while the Cubs and Nationals get better doesn't seem like a recipe for breaking through and winning the pennant.

They would probably need to dump salary back out according to reports that said they are exceeding MLB's debt threshold. It looks like they are adding another $32M a year for Turner and Jansen, so they may be inclined to move some prospects to unload some salary, like Ethier and McCarthy.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)

Given how much money they spent on the other see, I could see where they look at Q and his price and value it more. That said, Friedman isn't one with a reputation of being willing to make an aggressive pay (and that is what it will take to get Q, imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Given how much money they spent on the other see, I could see where they look at Q and his price and value it more. That said, Friedman isn't one with a reputation of being willing to make an aggressive pay (and that is what it will take to get Q, imo).

Quintana does not have to get dealt this offseason if their price is not met

They can shop him at the deadline or next offseason and still get a huge return

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)

They just seem very comfortable going forward with a team with a handful of superstars and an unreal amount of average to slightly above average veteran depth. And no urgency to "go for it" with trading prospects.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)

Eh, I wouldn't say the Cubs got better. But they are still the best team in the NL without question. I agree I wonder if the Dodgers get on the Quintana sweepstakes. They may need to deal a contract, but Quintana of course has a very team friendly deal and will improve their rotation significantly.