Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Could be that some team has met the price asked, and it's time for all the others to try to top it or look for another 5.0 WAR a year pitcher that is controlled for 4 more years at $38 million.

I think this is probably true, at the very least some team is close enough that this seems likely to happen within a reasonable time period.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
I would send Q to the Cubs for that package. You basically have your entire roster settled by 2019 that way.

C Collins

1B Abreu/Collins

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Candelario

LF Happ

CF ?

RF Jiminez

DH Collins/Abreu

Candelario is a 30 defender at 3b. Has no chance ever playing adequately at 3B. Only position might be 1B, which his hitting profile doesn't fit at that position. Candelario is a DH type player. I have no interest in Candelario in any Cubs deal.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
why are the Sox compromising in any Quintana deal, makes no sense. deal him at the deadline if you're not even getting what you want for him. glasnow as a centerpiece? we need position players so badly.

How are the Sox compromising? They haven't announced an official trade yet. We don't even really know what the offers they are receiving look like.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
why are the Sox compromising in any Quintana deal, makes no sense. deal him at the deadline if you're not even getting what you want for him. glasnow as a centerpiece? we need position players so badly.

They aren't compromising. They are looking for another home run. Hopefully in a few years, we all think all of these trades were home runs. For the White Sox.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Candelario is a 30 defender at 3b. Has no chance ever playing adequately at 3B. Only position might be 1B, which his hitting profile doesn't fit at that position. Candelario is a DH type player. I have no interest in Candelario in any Cubs deal.

Where did you get that rating from? According to MLB.com Candelario is rated as 50 for fielding and a 55 for arm which are about average ratings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Could be that some team has met the price asked, and it's time for all the others to try to top it or look for another 5.0 WAR a year pitcher that is controlled for 4 more years at $38 million.

Right, I wrote this last night but the post-mortems on the Sale trade seem to have indicated a timeline where Boston had agreed to a framework of Moncada/Kopech and then the flurry of Nats aggressive to get Sale came as the sox were putting heat on Boston to include Devers. I guess Sox at some point decided there was no escalation short of turner that Nats could offer to overcome Moncada as a headliner and moved forward.

So yes, some team may have the basic framework and sox are putting heat on the non headliner, because it was not the case that Boston's final agreed to piece was Moncada, it was Basabe/Diaz.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
Right, I wrote this last night but the post-mortems on the Sale trade seem to have indicated a timeline where Boston had agreed to a framework of Moncada/Kopech and then the flurry of Nats aggressive to get Sale came as the sox were putting heat on Boston to include Devers. I guess Sox at some point decided there was no escalation short of turner that Nats could offer to overcome Moncada as a headliner and moved forward.

So yes, some team may have the basic framework and sox are putting heat on the non headliner, because it was not the case that Boston's final agreed to piece was Moncada, it was Basabe/Diaz.

And supposedly the Nats upped their offer when it became apparent Boston took the lead. Once it's going to happen, all the bluffs have to stop. I would really be surprised if Lunhow doesn't come up with something enticing enough unless the Sox cannot live without Bregman. To me, he has to be the GM that values Q the most.

This is like a 100 day Ebay auction. Some BS bids the first 98 or 99 days, then things get a little serious the final 15 minutes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
It'll probably be harder to deal him at the deadline. Right now your asking about guys not currently playing in MLB. But some might be come the trade deadline.

Ding ding ding. Give me 2 of Meadows, Glasnow, and Bell now that they're not in the majors contributing.

If rumors were true like at the deadline regarding the Q to Boston deal for Benintendi, Kopech +, don't want that to happen again in case any of these 3 players from the Pirates break out and won't be available.

MY personal rankings of the top two hitting prospects with the teams most likely to trade for Quintana and be thrown in the deal:

1.New York: Torres/Rutherford

2. Houston: Bregman/Tucker. My gut tells me they go for that upper echelon pitcher and trade Bregman.

3. Dodgers: Bellinger/Verdugo

4. Colorado: Rogers/Tapia- No chance Dahl will be traded. Tapia is what pushes this ranking down.

5. New York: Torres/Frazier-

6. Pirates: Meadows/Bell

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
MY personal rankings of the top two hitting prospects with the teams most likely to trade for Quintana and be thrown in the deal:

1.New York: Torres/Rutherford

2. Houston: Bregman/Tucker. My gut tells me they go for that upper echelon pitcher and trade Bregman.

3. Dodgers: Bellinger/Verdugo

4. Colorado: Rogers/Tapia- No chance Dahl will be traded. Tapia is what pushes this ranking down.

5. New York: Torres/Frazier-

6. Pirates: Meadows/Bell

Both Bregman & Tucker are said to be untouchable. If by the grace of God they offered Bregman, it's very unlikely Tucker would be in that deal. More likely it'd be someone like Fisher.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
Lol I'm going to laugh when Hahn gets Glasnow, Meadows and Bell for Quintana.

:wub:

Honestly I know Hahn doesn't want to "bundle" per se but I would be open to moving both Q + Abreu + MiGo to the pirates for a package like Glasnow/Meadows/Bell/Hayes/Diaz/Escobar/Hearn

steamer projects 7.4 wins out of that trio

Abreu - 2.1

Quintana - 4.2

Gonzalez - 1.1

and there is still upside with all three of them. Pirates would be adding about 20mil in salary for all three though.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
:wub:

Honestly I know Hahn doesn't want to "bundle" per se but I would be open to moving both Q + Abreu + MiGo to the pirates for a package like Glasnow/Meadows/Bell/Hayes/Diaz/Escobar/Hearn

steamer projects 7.4 wins out of that trio

Abreu - 2.1

Quintana - 4.2

Gonzalez - 1.1

and there is still upside with all three of them. Pirates would be adding about 20mil in salary for all three though.

I don't think a pirates team that depends heavily on the farm system due to a limited budget is going to trade anyone for Abreu and Gonzalez. One will get expensive soon, then other can be found cheaply without giving any players up.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I don't know if it says it's imminent, but perhaps a stamp of approval that it seems to be the case. I don't get the crap Merkin gets, he's a first division beat writer. Hayes is very good too. Doesn't have the 10-15 years of relationships Merkin does but covers the necessary stuff and is a real baseball fanatic.

If you understand what job these guys have, and what they have to do to get information in their job, they are extremely good at what they do. Merkin especially is one of the best around. No he isn't going to spill inside information ahead of time, but if you know how to read what he posts, you can get really good information from him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't think a pirates team that depends heavily on the farm system due to a limited budget is going to trade anyone for Abreu and Gonzalez. One will get expensive soon, then other can be found cheaply without giving any players up.

Abreu won't be expensive (relatively of course) until he's a free agent. Don't let the word arbitration scare you, he's not going to make much more than his original 6 year contract called for even he goes through arb 2 more times.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Abreu won't be expensive (relatively of course) until he's a free agent. Don't let the word arbitration scare you, he's not going to make much more than his original 6 year contract called for even he goes through arb 2 more times.

This. The number of the people that don't understand Abreu's contract situation, especially after what he just agreed to for his 2017 salary, is staggering.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Looks like Pirates sports writer's and the fan base really want Huntington to make a Q trade happen.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-i...es/201612220170

i too like to read other city's sports sections and the comments. :)

seems like all the PIT fans don't think much of Quintana and do NOT want Meadows as a part of any trade from what i've been reading.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Looks like Pirates sports writer's and the fan base really want Huntington to make a Q trade happen.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-i...es/201612220170

The Pirates are a lot like the White Sox in that they shop at Marshall's not Saks 5th Ave.

And when they are mentioned for a big name, like the Sox and big name free agents, at best, they come in second. So until they actually get a Q or someone else, it seems the people who know them best will believe it when they see it, and don't really think it will happen.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Right, but again, people don't make decisions based on need in Colorado. It's all random. They worship chaos and entropy.

One of my friends and I were imagining what board meetings are actually like there. His hypothesis is that they have a tank of manatees in the center of the conference room, and that they throw colored balls in and make decisions based on which balls the manatees push toward the front of the tank.

"Ohh that's blue, that means Ian Desmond! Ohh it looks like.. wait... oh FIRST BASE! Wow, that was unexpected. Welp, let's see what we're going to offer... Ohh Ten, NO, SEVENTY MILLION! Haha fun! Call his agent"

Funny. Rox FO might be gun shy after the Tulo trade blew up in their face. Media was surprisingly gentle with them, however. I wonder if Sox and Rox GM's knew each other in college since both went to Harvard. Secret handshake at least.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
The Pirates are a lot like the White Sox in that they shop at Marshall's not Saks 5th Ave.

And when they are mentioned for a big name, like the Sox and big name free agents, at best, they come in second. So until they actually get a Q or someone else, it seems the people who know them best will believe it when they see it, and don't really think it will happen.

I've seen a lot of comments like this too from Pirates fans. Like they want them to get Q at all costs but are very skeptical the organization will actually do it. If there was ever a guy to put all your chips on, it would be someone as durable and consistent and cheap as Q.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
Funny. Rox FO might be gun shy after the Tulo trade blew up in their face. Media was surprisingly gentle with them, however. I wonder if Sox and Rox GM's knew each other in college since both went to Harvard. Secret handshake at least.

Ian Desmond was 2016 Jimmy Rollins at the plate the 2nd half of the season. Yet the Rockies give him $70 million and on top of that, pencil him in at 1B, a position that makes him even less valuable. It's clear they are doing something very different in that FO when it comes to decision making time.