Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I personally don't think that offer is light at all. I just think Luhnow doesn't realize that in the modern MLB that you have to really go for it when you have a window and that sometimes means trading away quality prospects. Epstein most definitely overpaid for Chapman but it helped them get a ring. Can't be a major league GM and he afraid to make a move like that if you want to win a title.

Plus, if there is ever a guy to trade away a prospect package for, its Quintana. Heck, you get 4 years of PROVEN top of the rotation pitching at the going rate for a over the hill #5 these days. If your prospect hits, pretty much best case scenario is you get 4 years of top of the rotation / middle of the order production. You could pretty much view Quintana as a prospect you know will hit due to his control.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
@ChrisRongey

What I'm gathering from Twitter is Yankees fans have no idea how good Jose Quintana is.

I really really want to see the Yankees get raked by Hahn in a Lion King "Circle of Life" kinda way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
According to Keith Law, that return is more than a little light.

Well obviously it depends what you think of the prospects, but Joe Musgrove put up insane K/BB rates in the minors and then performed at an almost Quintana-level in the MLB in 2016 (SIERA, my favourite peripheral stat for pitching had Musgrove at 3.99 and Quintana at 4.01 in 2016, not to say he's at his level but it wouldn't be outrageous to project him providing close enough Quintana's value going forward to make you uncomfortable trading him and 2 other valuable pieces). Kyle Tucker hit well in A-ball as a 19-year-old and then mashed .339/.435/.661 during a brief promotion to high-A. And Francis Martes had a FIP in the 2s at A, A+ and AA.

Whatever about Keith Law, Rick Hahn reportedly thought it was fair.

I can see it from both sides, but I wouldn't exactly call the Astros losers for not taking it.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I want Quintana to the Pirates, not only because I like their prospects best but their fans seem to have properly grasped Q's value better than anyone else.

Yeah. He'd be appreciated there.

Honestly I think Pirates make the most sense in a lot of ways. He would eat the NL alive, he fits within Pittsburgh payroll and makes them competitive during the length of his contract, and they some great stud prospects for the White Sox to target.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I want Quintana to the Pirates, not only because I like their prospects best but their fans seem to have properly grasped Q's value better than anyone else.

If so, does Meadows HAVE to be the centerpiece?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)

imo asking that means you're devaluing Quintana, he's worth Meadows plus a couple more

people over rate prospects way too f***ing much around here.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
imo asking that means you're devaluing Quintana, he's worth Meadows plus a couple more

I really believe the majority of the time they do. Over the years around here how many times when talk is about other teams prospects and guys are sooooo in love with some prospects that are definitely untouchable...then you never hear about them again or their status dropped significantly within a few months?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)

I think the Bucs could get it done without him...either Glasnow + Bell + a couple of their other top tier guys could do it as a 4 pack, or if they got a strong return for McCutchen whatever came back for him could do it as well. I don't think they'd be willing to do it without moving McCutchen though, based on the talk over the past week.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
I really believe the majority of the time they do. Over the years around here how many times when talk is about other teams prospects and guys are sooooo in love with some prospects that are definitely untouchable...then you never hear about them again or their status dropped significantly within a few months?

Saying Meadows is untouchable isn't implying he's better than Quintana, it's just saying that team isn't trading him. We've heard a hell of a lot of Glasnow mentioned, never Meadows.

People are just figuring out what the real market is, not making judgment calls on our players. If those posters you mentioned were wrong that a player was untouchable, they would be proven right if that player was still on that team.

I imagine what's happening is the Pirates view Meadows as their CF of future and number one prospect, and are trying to do anything to keep him. Bregman otoh, Astros have seemed to make a decision that no upgrade is worth losing him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I think the Bucs could get it done without him...either Glasnow + Bell + a couple of their other top tier guys could do it as a 4 pack, or if they got a strong return for McCutchen whatever came back for him could do it as well. I don't think they'd be willing to do it without moving McCutchen though, based on the talk over the past week.

Glasnow, Bell, Newman, and Hayes would be a ridiculous return for White Sox. I bet the Pirates would probably turn that down but maybe something close to it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
Good for Houston. They can be content with losing.

This one kinda pisses me off as a baseball fan. I don't like that Houston is saying "we've improved and that's good enough to challenge the Rangers" when Cleveland and Boston are saying "that trophy would look pretty".

Yeah, the Rangers got ridiculously lucky in 1 run games last year, yes the Astros have improved, but that Rangers team is still strong, they've got Lucroy the full year, and Houston was far, far healthier than Texas last year, which you could see reversing easily. And then the Ms are still making their moves.

I don't like seeing a team that I think should be competing for world series chances saying hopefully the wild card is available.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)

The Sox should be in no hurry to deal Q. If they don't get their deal, they should just be patient. The free-agent market and trade

market are thin. They are taking a drastic step , so while they are being bold, they also have to be patient.

If their sights are set on Bregman and the Astros' position is they don't want to sacrifice their roster for next year, sweeten the deal with

Fraser and see what happens.

Similarly, I really hope that their rumored reluctance to deal with the Cubs is not true. The Cubs have already won the World Series, so

let's worry about us not them. They have no young pitching prospects who are near ready. They are likely to lose Arieta after next year,

they should expect Hendricks to regress a bit and Lackey is nearing the end. They would dearly like a guy like Q, but would have to pay

for him. Frankly, if the Sox were to propose something like Q plus one of the big prospects they just got, I don't think a return of Schwarber

(who is really an American League player) and a couple of other top prospects would be unwarranted. I know they have an excellent

first base prospect who is blocked by Rizzo. So, Schwarber, that first base prospect (who am too lazy to look up) and a couple of other position players

would work for me.

I may be nuts, but go easy-I haven't posted here for several years and I'm just getting my feet wet!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I don't like seeing a team that I think should be competing for world series chances saying hopefully the wild card is available.
If you're building a team to get in the wild card game I think you're doing it wrong. Win your division, don't leave your entire season up to a one game playoff. Houston is foolish for valuing prospects over a young cost controlled ace because they assume success from players with short track records and players rebounding from bad years.

QUOTE (RockfordJim @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
The Sox should be in no hurry to deal Q. If they don't get their deal, they should just be patient. The free-agent market and trade

market are thin. They are taking a drastic step , so while they are being bold, they also have to be patient.

If their sights are set on Bregman and the Astros' position is they don't want to sacrifice their roster for next year, sweeten the deal with

Fraser and see what happens.

Similarly, I really hope that their rumored reluctance to deal with the Cubs is not true. The Cubs have already won the World Series, so

let's worry about us not them. They have no young pitching prospects who are near ready. They are likely to lose Arieta after next year,

they should expect Hendricks to regress a bit and Lackey is nearing the end. They would dearly like a guy like Q, but would have to pay

for him. Frankly, if the Sox were to propose something like Q plus one of the big prospects they just got, I don't think a return of Schwarber

(who is really an American League player) and a couple of other top prospects would be unwarranted. I know they have an excellent

first base prospect who is blocked by Rizzo. So, Schwarber, that first base prospect (who am too lazy to look up) and a couple of other position players

would work for me.

I may be nuts, but go easy-I haven't posted here for several years and I'm just getting my feet wet!