Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
He might do better in NL.

He won't they are playing him in CF. Their fans are going in with the expectation of gold glove caliber defense. They are going to be in for a big letdown.

If Giolito is dealing mid season their fans are going to lose their s***.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
He gets on base but other than that he's a pretty unremarkable offensive player. I like Eaton and I think he'll do well in Washington, but he's been overrated by WAR. He didn't even have the highest OPS amongst Sox outfielders and he's never lived up to what his run game was advertised as.

He's really more like Stephen Piscotty, Ender Inciarte, Logan Forsythe or Kole Calhoun than he is the absolute cream of the MLB crop. Those comps are pretty decent players though (no way top 15) and with Eaton's contract the Nationals will not be upset with him, but they aren't getting another 6.0 fWAR season on the backs of some pretty ridiculous throws from RF.

To be fair I think you're underselling his run game. There's a lot more to baserunning than just stealing bases. So yeah he doesn't get a lot of steals but he's still an elite baserunner (Fangraphs ranks him 7th over the last two years in baserunning value). He's very good at getting that extra base.

Just that the odds of Eaton's body holding up until 2019-2021 are 50/50 at best.

His borderline reckless type of game just leaves too many possibilities for injuries. We saw it already with Rowand and how quickly he broke down in his 30's. Shane Victorino, another example, although not as close as Aaron.

He's a lot more multi-dimensional than Pods as well, because of his arm and RF defense...once Pods lost his stolen base aggressiveness, he lost 50% of his value. And Eaton's had a lot more pop to his game than most expected, simply looking at him physically. That said, when he got "homer happy," it took him away from his infield hit/BB OBP mode, which arguably was even more valuable to disrupting the opposition.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
Just that the odds of Eaton's body holding up until 2019-2021 are 50/50 at best.

His borderline reckless type of game just leaves too many possibilities for injuries. We saw it already with Rowand and how quickly he broke down in his 30's. Shane Victorino, another example, although not as close as Aaron.

He's a lot more multi-dimensional than Pods as well, because of his arm and RF defense...once Pods lost his stolen base aggressiveness, he lost 50% of his value. And Eaton's had a lot more pop to his game than most expected, simply looking at him physically. That said, when he got "homer happy," it took him away from his infield hit/BB OBP mode, which arguably was even more valuable to disrupting the opposition.

Yeah his walk rate and OBP really nosedived when he started hitting homers. #funwithimaginarynumbers

I think his had a little more to do with the "better playing through chemistry" than anything else.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:06 AM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...rks-brian-kenny

Highly recommend this Eaton podcast with Chuck Garfein. Adam is honest and funny. Makes a LaRoche snipe at front office and also discusses the Sale jersey stuff. But most of all was very appreciative of sox front office and people.

Thanks for recommendation. Really great interview

Wtf are you even talking about? He played the most games of his career last season and had an OBP that was .001 away from last years OBP.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Wtf are you even talking about? He played the most games of his career last season and had an OBP that was .001 away from last years OBP.

Just because we traded him, lets not sell Eaton short...he has been a very good player for us.

His best comparison would be a younger alex gordon in terms of good defense, solid hitting and on base skills with average pop, decent speed

That amounts to a quality player. I wish him the best

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
Just because we traded him, lets not sell Eaton short...he has been a very good player for us.

His best comparison would be a younger alex gordon in terms of good defense, solid hitting and on base skills with average pop, decent speed

That amounts to a quality player. I wish him the best

Yeah I understand why it happens but I don't want to root against/cut down players we trade away just so that we can say we won the trade. He might have just had a career year but Eaton is a damn fine player. I hope everyone we trade this offseason kills it with their new teams. Hell wherever Quintana goes is instantly going to be to be second favorite team.

See 2013 and 2014. Also hit the DL in 2012.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...&Page=Tranx

If you think Eaton's going to be one of the most durable players (especially playing CF instead of RF), I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to anyone interested.

Predicting his style of play will likely lead to an injury at some point in the near future isn't exactly earth-shattering analysis. It's one of the many reasons Hahn sold him before the season started.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
See 2013 and 2014. Also hit the DL in 2012.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...&Page=Tranx

If you think Eaton's going to be one of the most durable players (especially playing CF instead of RF), I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to anyone interested.

Predicting his style of play will likely lead to an injury at some point in the near future isn't exactly earth-shattering analysis. It's one of the many reasons Hahn sold him before the season started.

Lol, give me a break. 0 days on the DL the last 2 seasons. They had him scale back his style of play after his first season in Chicago and he hasn't been hurt since. Anyways, no one said he's "one of the most durable players", you are the one that said his style of play is "reckless". Anybody that has paid attention over the last couple years realizes that he's played more in control and, as a result, hasn't been much of an injury risk. You also assert that his "homer happy" approach has taken away his appeal as an OBP player which is irrefutably wrong. He has added the power component to his game at no expense to his OBP or avg. His wOBA has stayed roughly the same over the last 3 years (marginally increased actually), he's increased his BB%, cut down his K%, increased his ISO, and all around become a better player. Your assertions are just dumb.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
i may not have ptatc's medical credential, but if you want me to diagnose a foot that flops around 180 degrees, I am capable

Cool. So what's the most likely diagnosis. What's the potential recovery time and what would you see being potential implications to his overall game?

Have at it.