"White Sox fire sale isn’t over — it just got paused"

There was one interview where JR said that if his sons kept a team, it would be the Bulls, but he did not indicate that they would sell the team, nor have there been any indications from them that they would.

His sons are great people and would be great if Jerry steps aside at some point.

It is my opinion that the Reinsdorf family will continue treating the White Sox like a family franchise.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
I can assure you that as of a few years ago, Lip's info is incorrect. Michael Reinsdorf wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps with the White Sox. And if JR did die, he would be running things until he didn't want to. Maybe he will think his plate is full with the Bulls. I do know he would have at least slightly different approach if he ran the White Sox.

Different approach from his father or different approach from how he runs the Bulls? Would you mind elaborating?

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm afraid the buyer would move the team.

Zero chance of that happening. What city is more attractive than Chicago? And there are other franchises that MLB would look to relocate than an original AL team that is middle of the pack in terms of revenue. Just isn't happening, not anytime soon at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
That works both ways then. If the networks are a bust now, they aren't going to go somewhere else to find a new and more profitable one.

Right, which is probably why they don't move. The only way it would make sense for them to make a move is if they are going to make a significant jump in TV revenue. I don't see that happening given the current environment of cord cutters and the large financial commitments already made by many of the regional sports networks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
They can't avoid the tax hit, it is coming sooner or later anyway. The franchise is worth 50 times what he paid for it, so he may only get $700M, but thats still a great investment that has grown at a much faster rate than inflation. Heck, the Marlins are rumored to have been sold for $1.5B, and I can't believe they would be worth any more than the White Sox. Taxes will never be a reason that a professional sports team is bought or sold.

I think JR is on his way out, this is the second or third rumor about the team being for sale in the last six months. With Bud gone and his public opposition to Manfred, he has burned some bridges in some high places and has very few allies left in the leadership group.

The other component of a rebuild that has not really been discussed is that it decreases operational expenses, which improves the bottom line, and makes the team more valuable if it were to be sold. Add to that the potential for a big splash with a new TV deal in two years, I think right now is the optimal time to sell. I feel like the Sox potential of a new TV deal will be worth more than the actual deal they get.

You've touched on a subject that most people don't talk about. Assuming that Quintana, Frazier. Robertson and Cabrera will be gone before 2018, the 2018 White Sox payroll will be one of the lowest if not lowest in MLB. They will have no long term contracts on the books. When JR bought the team from Veeck in 1981 he bought a White Sox team with a low payroll and no long term contracts on the books. Forbes magazine said that the White Sox gross about $250 million dollars a year. The 2018 payroll should be around $50 million dollars. This points to me that JR will sell the team after the 2018 season. I wish he would sell the team now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
Right, which is probably why they don't move. The only way it would make sense for them to make a move is if they are going to make a significant jump in TV revenue. I don't see that happening given the current environment of cord cutters and the large financial commitments already made by many of the regional sports networks.

Yeah, I see no way that they move.

Instead of focusing on the JR hate that people love, the more immediate focus should be on his comments about Q. He states again that people don't think he is an ace and they will not meet the asking price because RH is asking ace value for him.

I'm still fibe with keeping him as a piece for the rebuild but the posters who aant to trade him should be worried about the return.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Different approach from his father or different approach from how he runs the Bulls? Would you mind elaborating?

He would be a little more aggressive.

Maybe running the Bulls has changed him, but he is still under his dad, and once that goes and he is truly on his own, from what I have been told in the past, it would be a little different.

I think Sox would be a perfect fit for Vegas if Vegas built a new indoor stadium. Great uniforms to market, in fact the best uniforms in baseball. Have a billionaire owner and you'd have quite a match. Probably would take a while to build such a stadium.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
I think Sox would be a perfect fit for Vegas if Vegas built a new indoor stadium. Great uniforms to market, in fact the best uniforms in baseball. Have a billionaire owner and you'd have quite a match. Probably would take a while to build such a stadium.

If the Sox ever leave, I'd bet the White Sox name ends here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)

You think they have attendance issues now? Move them to Vegas and they'll barely have any.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)

Would be interesting if the Raiders and White Sox both ended up in Las Vegas. I think it would be the ultimate home field advantage.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Would be interesting if the Raiders and White Sox both ended up in Las Vegas. I think it would be the ultimate home field advantage.

Hmm, maybe it's just me but I'd find it a lot more interesting if the Sox stayed in Chicago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)

I am telling you the Havana White Sox are in the works. Obama will be one of the principals.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
The White Sox have a rather long lease and make money every season. There are several other teams that cannot say the same thing. Every 6 months we get the Sox moving posts. They aren't leaving. Put it to rest.

It's crazy this keeps coming up. Maybe when the lease is up it will be a different story, but even then I don't see MLB allowing an original AL team in a major market with solid revenue to move. But that's a long time from now, so no need to speculate.

My guess is that JR will sell after the 2018 season as noted before. The new ownership group will be Chicago based and the team will stay here. Hopefully by then-- the new young core of players will be hitting their developmental stride, White Sox will have selected Seth Beer in the 2018 draft and the new TV deal allows the new owners to open up their wallets to fill in roster gaps-- Manny Machado for instance....

If I were I were only a billionaire...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
The White Sox have a rather long lease and make money every season. There are several other teams that cannot say the same thing. Every 6 months we get the Sox moving posts. They aren't leaving. Put it to rest.

This post should be stickied.

There has been one move in the last 45 years in the MLB. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion. No team in a market like Chicago is going to downgrade to a TV market like Las Vegas.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
This post should be stickied.

There has been one move in the last 45 years in the MLB. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion. No team in a market like Chicago is going to downgrade to a TV market like Las Vegas.

What's market share between the cubs and Sox? Serious questions. Would they have a bigger share of just Las Vegas?

They aren't going to move. Just an interesting question.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
What's market share between the cubs and Sox? Serious questions. Would they have a bigger share of just Las Vegas?

They aren't going to move. Just an interesting question.

They would get some share of parts of states surrounding Nevada that don't have teams. Northern AZ, UT, ID, OR, Inland CA.

Plus tourists in town will go to a game or two.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
They would get some share of parts of states surrounding Nevada that don't have teams. Northern AZ, UT, ID, OR, Inland CA.

Plus tourists in town will go to a game or two.

I doubt tourists go. Way more to do in Vegas.