POSTPONED: Opening Day Game Thread 2017

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
How early would fans be notified if it's rained out?

They'll definitely try to wait as long as possible, but if it looks like an all day soaker, which it's looking like, maybe by 11am. Just depends on the radar and how long they think it will last.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't expect him to try and lose. I expect him to get the most out of his players to increase the older guys' value to trade for prospects. That's how we keep the win total down.

If all goes to plan, guys like Moncada (for however long he's up), Anderson, and Rodon have solid, building block seasons, but the White Sox still are bottom five in baseball.

And as far as the Joe Maddon thing, that stuff just happens. I want to give Renteria a better shot than he got on the north side

that would be perfect.

I don't expect him to try and lose. I expect him to get the most out of his players to increase the older guys' value to trade for prospects. That's how we keep the win total down.

I for one hope that the Sox will not intentionally keep the win total down. That strategy worked for the Cubs, but if several teams start to intentionally tank seasons just to vie for a high Draft pick, it would diminish competitiveness across the league and hurt major league baseball. It's also kind of kind of a pimpy/wimpy strategy that cheats fans of the teams that might choose to go down that road.

Wish all Sox fans a safe and productive 2017 season. It won't be productive in the win column but if the veterans can be healthy and put up some numbers, it will be productive in the sense that they can then get traded for various degrees of younger talent.

So let's hope that's the case.

At least baseball is back and that's a good thing.

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
90% chance of rain now.

Tickets are down to $6 on stubhub.

That is for nose bleed seats in the corners of the upper deck. IMO, those sections should probably should be replaced with a restaurant or bar for upper deck ticket holders.

I hope they call the game soon. I need to know to make plans for tomorrow. One problem is that Tuesday's forecast might not be much better as we get closer to it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Postponed means the game will be made up. Cancelled means it won't. Don't ask if the game is cancelled, because it won't be.

Who said the if the game is rained out that it would not be made up ?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Who said the if the game is rained out that it would not be made up ?

It's my preemptive strike against people that don't know the difference between a postponement and a cancellation.

This whole week looks like crap. The entire Tigers series looks bad each day...except for Tuesday when they play the opener.

Hopefully they do the right thing and postpone early tomorrow morning before people would start making their way to the park.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
It's my preemptive strike against people that don't know the difference between a postponement and a cancellation.

Yeah the people who say a game is cancelled for the most part sound stupid.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Yeah the people who say a game is cancelled for the most part sound stupid.

It just bugs me when the Rongey types say "today's game is cancelled. It will be made up tomorrow". Um, no.

People say canceled because in real life people use delayed and postponed more interchangeably, so they say canceled to let them know the game ain't happening that day. To the people communicating it isn't confusing at all so I'm gonna side with them.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Wish all Sox fans a safe and productive 2017 season. It won't be productive in the win column but if the veterans can be healthy and put up some numbers, it will be productive in the sense that they can then get traded for various degrees of younger talent.

So let's hope that's the case.

At least baseball is back and that's a good thing.

Mark

:gosox3:

:notworthy

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
People say canceled because in real life people use delayed and postponed more interchangeably, so they say canceled to let them know the game ain't happening that day. To the people communicating it isn't confusing at all so I'm gonna side with them.

Languages are fluid and always changing. I'm with you. Most people understood what happened.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
What's the percentage they get this game in tomorrow?

I think real low. Even the temps look fairly low. They could just say "inclement weather" and be done with it until Tuesday.