Tommy Kahnle

reiks12

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, but I think if you have a second place just for shoes, you have to be a douchebag, even if you're a nice guy. TBH, I have heard only good things about LaTroy Hawkins the person.

All I have ever read or heard was that he was very liked around baseball.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Hawkins was a hot mess when he pitched for the Cubs.

The #1 counter-argument to the idea that anybody can be a closer. He was a dominant set-up man for years and years, but just sucked as a closer.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)

Yes he was. Along with Baker and Jay Mariotti. Pretty sure that's when Mariotti started referring to Hawkins as Latoya. What a great summer of baseball for Sox fans. The South sides were on their way to the WS and the cubs were comedic gold in the media.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 17, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)

I do remember that he, Jacque Jones and one other African-American player said when they were on the Cubs they were the target of racial slurs from out of the Wrigley bleachers / stands.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I do remember that he, Jacque Jones and one other African-American player said when they were on the Cubs they were the target of racial slurs from out of the Wrigley bleachers / stands.

Somewhere, Curt Schilling was and is calling BS.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (oldsox @ May 19, 2017 -> 06:28 AM)
I always wondered why Hawkins was included in the Tulo trade with Toronto. He already had announced that was his final season. He wasn't any good any more. But he was Kahnle's teammate....

-Kahnlegate.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
Kahnle should definitely be on the market this deadline. I have no idea whether a team will bite on what should be a fairly steep price, but it's definitely worth finding out.

Yeah, he may be a guy you have to hold on to in order to justify the return...which we can live with, if necessary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:42 AM)
What's the minimum you would take back from the Nationals to trade him?

Cards? Astros?

I'd probably need 2 top 100 pieces at minimum. Don't see the point in moving him otherwise since he's under control. Unless you get an absolute blue chipper (ie Tucker). Which probably isn't gonna happen.

Nationals: Soto and Kieboom (I know not top 100 but he's likely right there)

Astros: Fisher and Whitley/Perez...astros could also do something with quantity.

Cardinals: Delvin Perez and another good piece.

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
I'd probably need 2 top 100 pieces at minimum. Don't see the point in moving him otherwise since he's under control. Unless you get an absolute blue chipper (ie Tucker). Which probably isn't gonna happen.

Nationals: Soto and Kieboom (I know not top 100 but he's likely right there)

Astros: Fisher and Whitley/Perez...astros could also do something with quantity.

Cardinals: Delvin Perez and another good piece.

2 top 100 prospects for Tommy Kahnle?

There is no way he would fetch that in a trade given his short track record of success.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)

There is no way he would fetch that in a trade given his short track record of success.

I think something like Robertson + Kahnle would definitely bring back 2 top 100s and a flier

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 07:30 AM)

I agree, which is why it may be better to hold him and gamble that he sustains or even continues to improve.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)

Then why trade him? He's got 3 more years of control, and if he can demonstrate that he can close he'll be worth an absurd haul. Look at the Ken Giles trade for context.

I'm not talking about 2 top end guys (more 80-100 or fringe). But I see no point in trading a guy with Chapmana-level stuff and a team friendly contract for 1 good prospect unless it's a blue chipper.

Edit: not disagreeing that the limited track record could ding his value. Would just rather gamble like other posters above have said if that's the case.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
Then why trade him? He's got 3 more years of control, and if he can demonstrate that he can close he'll be worth an absurd haul. Look at the Ken Giles trade for context.

I'm not talking about 2 top end guys (more 80-100 or fringe). But I see no point in trading a guy with Chapmana-level stuff and a team friendly contract for 1 good prospect unless it's a blue chipper.

Kahnle has pitched 25 great innings so far. It's way too soon to declare him anything like Chapman or Giles.

We really don't have any use for Kahnle the next few seasons as we are rebuilding, and I absolutely would dangle him, along with most of our roster, at the deadline.

Asking 2 top 100 prospects is absurd at this point though for Kahnle straight up

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Kahnle has pitched 25 great innings so far. It's way too soon to declare him anything like Chapman or Giles.

We really don't have any use for Kahnle the next few seasons as we are rebuilding, and I absolutely would dangle him, along with most of our roster, at the deadline.

Asking 2 top 100 prospects is absurd at this point though for Kahnle straight up

His stuff is absolutely as good. I'm not saying he's Chapman or Giles yet. I'm saying what's the point in getting a "meh" haul when you could hit the lotto if he sustains anything even remotely close to this?

He's 27 and has 3 more years of control AFTER this year. I don't see the rush to trade him if you're not getting something that reflects his upside.