Tatis Jr

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
They are worse than Jose Abreu. I'm sure Tatis Jr. will be worse than Jose Abreu.

In your world, that has to be near impossible.

Nice diversion bro. Nobody clamored Brandon Allen as a future all-star :lol: quit spreading fake news. Nobody ever said Brandon Allen was a future all star. Maybe you could find one overzealous fan who said Ravelo. That's some funny stuff right there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 15, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
Nice diversion bro. Nobody clamored Brandon Allen as a future all-star :lol: quit spreading fake news. Nobody ever said Brandon Allen was a future all star. Maybe you could find one overzealous fan who said Ravelo. That's some funny stuff right there.

BS. If you can find the Brandon Allen trade thread, there definitely was a post guaranteeing him a future all star.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2017 -> 05:25 AM)
BS. If you can find the Brandon Allen trade thread, there definitely was a post guaranteeing him a future all star.

Yeah, there were a number of people saying that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2017 -> 07:29 AM)
Teams make bad trades, it happens. Get over it. This front office has made plenty of good trades as well, if you stop crying over Tatis you will see that

Didn't you know that this FO is really bad? They haven't made the playoffs recently so they cannot have made any good moves.

Here is what happened on the Brandon Allen deal, IIRC.

We traded him to Ariz, they brought him up, and he immediately hit 3-4 homers. Then water found its own level, and Allen went away. Then Goldschmidt appeared.

If you get enough Brandon Allens you'll get an all star, which is the point of trades in a rebuild. You need 2/3 prospects per position.

It would be gold if the Sox could trade a middle reliever with the credentials of Tony Pena (ERA above 4; WHIP above 1.5) for a prospect with the credentials of Brandon Allen. But the Sox can't trade with themselves. Not surprisingly, Pena pitched as badly for the Sox as he did for Arizona.

No one knows what Tatis will become, just like no one knew what Allen would become. But with the Sox scrambling to load up with top prospects, giving one away (and apparently not realizing what you gave away) is just galling.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 17, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)
If you get enough Brandon Allens you'll get an all star, which is the point of trades in a rebuild. You need 2/3 prospects per position.

It would be gold if the Sox could trade a middle reliever with the credentials of Tony Pena (ERA above 4; WHIP above 1.5) for a prospect with the credentials of Brandon Allen. But the Sox can't trade with themselves. Not surprisingly, Pena pitched as badly for the Sox as he did for Arizona.

No one knows what Tatis will become, just like no one knew what Allen would become. But with the Sox scrambling to load up with top prospects, giving one away (and apparently not realizing what you gave away) is just galling.

The White Sox apparently knew what they were giving away in Brandon Allen. .203/.290/..375 12 homers 35.2% k rate. Star. I suspect they know what they gave away in Tatis. It's guys like you who don't. Forgive me if I do not respect your scouting skills. I noticed you don't whine about the Kahnle trade much anymore.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
The White Sox apparently knew what they were giving away in Brandon Allen. .203/.290/..375 12 homers 35.2% k rate. Star. I suspect they know what they gave away in Tatis. It's guys like you who don't. Forgive me if I do not respect your scouting skills. I noticed you don't whine about the Kahnle trade much anymore.

Eh, I don't agree with this. Sox aren't only in the business of peddling garbage. They gave up a potentially good player in Tatis, who at his age had high variability of success or failure. Same with Allen. They didn't know ALlen would fail. They don't know Tatis isn't that special. They traded potential with very high uncertainty for certain production. Happens all the time. But this trade, they just happened to bring on a pitcher with a lot of warning signs, that gave them some of the worst production in the game, and lost a potential long-term piece.

Sucks. Don't ever do it again hahn.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Eh, I don't agree with this. Sox aren't only in the business of peddling garbage. They gave up a potentially good player in Tatis, who at his age had high variability of success or failure. Same with Allen. They didn't know ALlen would fail. They don't know Tatis isn't that special. They traded potential with very high uncertainty for certain production. Happens all the time. But this trade, they just happened to bring on a pitcher with a lot of warning signs, that gave them some of the worst production in the game, and lost a potential long-term piece.

Sucks. Don't ever do it again hahn.

Don't see many amateur scouts complaining about Tatis Jr. before the trade, or when it was made.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...9431&st=400

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
The scary part is all of the posters who apparently think they know more about prospects than the White Sox, yet want the White Sox to go into a total rebuild.

When dealing such young players there will always be an element of risk because you just do not know how those players will pan out. The chances a player like Tatis Jr. never makes the majors are much much much higher than that of him breaking out into an everyday player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
The scary part is all of the posters who apparently think they know more about prospects than the White Sox, yet want the White Sox to go into a total rebuild.

Maybe, part of it is just the fun of being a fan and keeping tabs of everything. You're obviously right that they have a full staff and do it a for a living, while we come here for entertainment and to BS about what's happening. It's been happening among fans of all teams since the beginning of sports.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)

Hardly.

Just pointing out that the Sox don't know enough (and they have been worse when evaluating veterans).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 17, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Hardly.

Just pointing out that the Sox don't know enough (and they have been worse when evaluating veterans).

I understand what you are saying but it is far too simplistic. Unless by your standards the majority of people in the MLB don't know enough.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Robertson, LaRoche, Cabrera, Bonifacio, Beckham, Soto and Shuck...hard for anyone at SoxTalk to deliberately do much worse.

That said, Leury Garcia is out OPSing Benintendi, Bregman and Swanson.

I don't know how Robertson and Soto fit into this group, and Shuck is a perfectly passable backup outfielder who was thrust into a role well above his ability. The White Sox paid $46 million for Robertson. Based on market price for WAR, he's been worth $26.7 million already, with 10.5 months left on his deal. He will almost certainly be worth around $50 million when it's all said and done, suggesting the Sox knew exactly Robertson's value, which is counter intuitive to your argument.

Geovany Soto has been signed to minor league contracts both times. I don't even know how he was brought up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
I don't know how Robertson and Soto fit into this group, and Shuck is a perfectly passable backup outfielder who was thrust into a role well above his ability. The White Sox paid $46 million for Robertson. Based on market price for WAR, he's been worth $26.7 million already, with 10.5 months left on his deal. He will almost certainly be worth around $50 million when it's all said and done, suggesting the Sox knew exactly Robertson's value, which is counter intuitive to your argument.

Geovany Soto has been signed to minor league contracts both times. I don't even know how he was brought up.

Beckham was also worth 0.3 WAR in 2015, so he earned the paltry $2 million we paid him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
He's going to be a good player. Easily one of the worst trades in Sox history to this point, especially if they get outbid for Robert

He is going to have to be a pretty decent major leaguer to be one of the worst trades in team history. A ball now, that's a long way away. , and Erik Johnson put up an ERA a bit over 9.00 for them last year before having surgery.