Attendance is Actually up 8.1%

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
Sure, but they're not going to need to spend until after 2018 at the earliest.

That money will be there when they need it, because they have to look pretty similar to the 2014/15 Cubs heading into the new tv contract negotiations. They look like a .500 club at best, with the farm system stalled, then is the time that $60 million becomes quite critical.

Keep in mind, we're likely competing with CLE and Minnesota then, NOT the Cubs. That's a much lower bar than the Cubs or even the Cards, and we still beat St. Louis for Robert.

Actually we are competing with the American League and we need to be as good as the Yankees, Red Sox and for now the Astros.

The White Sox are a big market team and need to step up and bring in big market players.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
Actually we are competing with the American League and we need to be as good as the Yankees, Red Sox and for now the Astros.

The White Sox are a big market team and need to step up and bring in big market players.

Are you related to Thad Bosley?

Let's just hope they are a very exciting team to follow by the second half next year.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)

lol, no.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)

Correct, but for whatever reason(s), the current owner just cannot figure out how to operate his franchise in a "big market" manner. And the fact he's been at this for almost 40 years now and STILL can't get it right doesn't create any confidence that he will anytime soon. So we'll just have to hold tight until the next ownership group comes in to stand this organization up in a way befitting a team located in the city of Chicago.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)

Maybe when new ownership comes to pass but not before.

And again, attendance no longer makes or breaks a franchise...this isn't the 1950's anymore. There are multiple revenue streams bringing in millions upon millions of dollars to teams and a lot of those streams are shared equally among all teams.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Maybe when new ownership comes to pass but not before.

And again, attendance no longer makes or breaks a franchise...this isn't the 1950's anymore. There are multiple revenue streams bringing in millions upon millions of dollars to teams and a lot of those streams are shared equally among all teams.

To say it doesn't matter much is not paying attention. It isn't the end all it once was, but just taking ticket revenue, the difference between the Cubs and Sox is a pretty good chunk of change. The White Sox now have some of the cheapest tickets in the league.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
To say it doesn't matter much is not paying attention. It isn't the end all it once was, but just taking ticket revenue, the difference between the Cubs and Sox is a pretty good chunk of change. The White Sox now have some of the cheapest tickets in the league.

It matters, but the best way to remedy the solution is to contend, which the Sox have really done less than 5 times in the last decade. I have no doubt seats will get filled when the team has a contender.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
lol, no.

Maybe I should have said the Sox are suppose to be a big market franchise, the main reason they're not is they are owned by JR and company. The franchise has been a joke since 2008 and new ownership is needed more than anything, I'm not a fan of the rebuild because I know the front office will in the long run screw it up.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
Maybe I should have said the Sox are suppose to be a big market franchise, the main reason they're not is they are owned by JR and company. The franchise has been a joke since 2008 and new ownership is needed more than anything, I'm not a fan of the rebuild because I know the front office will in the long run screw it up.

Agreed.

The 05 regime deserves credit for the WS title. Put them in the team Hall of Fame. But please Jerry and the group, SELL. Please sell. Our ballpark is no good (I know the popular opinion on here is it's great, but take away the food and what do you have except a monstrocity with a horrid upper deck). Aside from the park, we have a horrific front office. I agree with you. The supposed rebuild is not going to work. SELL, JERRY. Sell it to somebody with money to burn. Thank you.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Agreed.

The 05 regime deserves credit for the WS title. Put them in the team Hall of Fame. But please Jerry and the group, SELL. Please sell. Our ballpark is no good (I know the popular opinion on here is it's great, but take away the food and what do you have except a monstrocity with a horrid upper deck). Aside from the park, we have a horrific front office. I agree with you. The supposed rebuild is not going to work. SELL, JERRY. Sell it to somebody with money to burn. Thank you.

Complaining about the ballpark is a fruitless endeavor. You're never going to change that. Chicago won't fund another stadium for decades and the downsides associated with moving to the suburbs far outweigh the benefits.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Agreed.

It always makes me feel better about myself when I disagree with pretty much everything in one of your posts.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Complaining about the ballpark is a fruitless endeavor. You're never going to change that. Chicago won't fund another stadium for decades and the downsides associated with moving to the suburbs far outweigh the benefits.

I don't agree with you about a new stadium. Just a couple of years ago the Village of Rosemont wanted to build a stadium for the Bad Guys on the Northside. The White Sox lease runs thru 2029. I feel in another 6-7 years we'll probably be hearing talk of a new stadium for the White Sox in the Chicago land area.

Edited by WBWSF

Sox spend PLENTY of money to win a title. They've sucked primarily because of two things: (1) an overly aggressive contention strategy that continually bet heavy on a stars-and-scrubs approach, and (2) and eight year stretch of terrible drafting and player development. They'll be relevant again when they start to consistently get those two things right.

And most signs point to them beginning to do it.

It's going to take some time. If you don't like it, go watch hockey.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
Sox spend PLENTY of money to win a title. They've sucked primarily because of two things: (1) an overly aggressive contention strategy that continually bet heavy on a stars-and-scrubs approach, and (2) and eight year stretch of terrible drafting and player development. They'll be relevant again when they start to consistently get those two things right.

And most signs point to them beginning to do it.

It's going to take some time. If you don't like it, go watch hockey.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to tell the long-suffering yet faithful fans to go away and watch hockey because they are voicing their discontent with the continued failures of the organization. Better served to join the increasing echoes of those looking for a change in ownership, given how the current owner (who is the LONGEST TENURED OWNER in MLB, mind you!) is just now "beginning" to "get those two things right" you referred to. Almost 40 years at the helm and they're just now getting around to that. Unbelievable.

You'd think with having the longest tenured owner that the Sox would be the model franchise by now, the one by which the others are judged, with the "White Sox Way" copied over and over and over again. Yet it's almost exactly the opposite. Excessive failure on the field year in and year out, resulting in bottom-of-the-barrel attendance and TV/radio ratings. All of this for a franchise residing in a big market. Again, unbelievable, and again, time for a new owner.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
I don't think it's necessarily fair to tell the long-suffering yet faithful fans to go away and watch hockey because they are voicing their discontent with the continued failures of the organization. Better served to join the increasing echoes of those looking for a change in ownership, given how the current owner (who is the LONGEST TENURED OWNER in MLB, mind you!) is just now "beginning" to "get those two things right" you referred to. Almost 40 years at the helm and they're just now getting around to that. Unbelievable.

You'd think with having the longest tenured owner that the Sox would be the model franchise by now, the one by which the others are judged, with the "White Sox Way" copied over and over and over again. Yet it's almost exactly the opposite. Excessive failure on the field year in and year out, resulting in bottom-of-the-barrel attendance and TV/radio ratings. All of this for a franchise residing in a big market. Again, unbelievable, and again, time for a new owner.

There's no problem with voicing your discontent with ownership, but I think most of us have a problem with jumping in and pissing on practically every other thread. I'm not saying it's necessarily you, and maybe it's mostly greg, but some of us still like to follow the team and try to get excited about the players and would rather do it without a doomsday post derailing every conversation.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 11:20 PM)

This is a great post. This is what a great message board post is.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
There's no problem with voicing your discontent with ownership, but I think most of us have a problem with jumping in and pissing on practically every other thread. I'm not saying it's necessarily you, and maybe it's mostly greg, but some of us still like to follow the team and try to get excited about the players and would rather do it without a doomsday post derailing every conversation.

This is a greater post. It's more messageboard-y

Greg, what can complaining about the rebuild actually accomplish?

I post all the time in the Filibuster now, but have no illusion it really makes one iota of difference. More for self-preservation of sanity, lol.

But is there any sense in having the same arguments day after day?

Thad, myself, Balta...were pretty critical the last 3-4 years, but I would go bonkers tilting at windmills like Don Quixote and obsessing about every single Chris Sale start or Giolito/Fulmer/Collins struggle. Nobody can force Reinsdorf to sell the team when it's value increases on a yearly basis no matter how well the team is led. A rising tide floats all boats, and that's the case in MLB today.

Focus on the positives, like winning a recruiting war with the Cardinals for Luis Robert.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)

This thread is about team attendance, and therefore the spectrum of opinion can and should be expected to cover a wide range of views. From the excitement of following players this year like Avi, Jose, Yolmer, Kahnle, etc., who have given some reason to pay attention to this last place team, all the way to the frustration with an owner and his management team who have now brought us the fifth summer in a row of completely meaningless baseball in the middle of the summer. A thread like this will cover the whole gamete.

To give this some further context, we the fans have not had a reason to get truly excited about a competitive White Sox team since Obama's first term, and the team has not made it to the postseason since George W.'s second term. There's your reason for the "doomsday" posts. Fix that and those posts go away, or at least decrease dramatically.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
This thread is about team attendance, and therefore the spectrum of opinion can and should be expected to cover a wide range of views. From the excitement of following players this year like Avi, Jose, Yolmer, Kahnle, etc., who have given some reason to pay attention to this last place team, all the way to the frustration with an owner and his management team who have now brought us the fifth summer in a row of completely meaningless baseball in the middle of the summer. A thread like this will cover the whole gamete.

To give this some further context, we the fans have not had a reason to get truly excited about a competitive White Sox team since Obama's first term, and the team has not made it to the postseason since George W.'s second term. There's your reason for the "doomsday" posts. Fix that and those posts go away, or at least decrease dramatically.

Tigers, gamut

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Greg, what can complaining about the rebuild actually accomplish?

I post all the time in the Filibuster now, but have no illusion it really makes one iota of difference. More for self-preservation of sanity, lol.

But is there any sense in having the same arguments day after day?

Thad, myself, Balta...were pretty critical the last 3-4 years, but I would go bonkers tilting at windmills like Don Quixote and obsessing about every single Chris Sale start or Giolito/Fulmer/Collins struggle. Nobody can force Reinsdorf to sell the team when it's value increases on a yearly basis no matter how well the team is led. A rising tide floats all boats, and that's the case in MLB today.

Focus on the positives, like winning a recruiting war with the Cardinals for Luis Robert.

Some grudges are worth 40/50/60/100/whatever years we are up to now.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)

But they are trying to fix it and yet you're still b****ing. Look, you have some legitimate points, but you repeat them over and over again despite the team doing exactly what you want them to do. This rebuild is going to be a lengthy process and you really need to give them time to execute on it before popping off with the same complaints ad nauseam.

And it's not about having no right to offer a dissenting opinion...

It would be better to have specific player/decision-related arguments rather than a generic template of complaints.

Say you believe Luis Robert will be a bust and waste of $50 million and why...this is more typical of GreenSox posts. Nobody is happy when their favorite team is nearly irrelevant.

I lived in KC for ten years when Royals fans would wear paper bags over their heads and have mass protests whenever the Yankees came to town...but nothing changed until they started making soundcdraft picks and shrewd trades. But it's not like David Glass felt any pressure to sell the team when profitability as well as franchise value were skyrocketing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

I've posted it is still important but no longer makes or breaks a franchise. I believe that to be correct. I never stated it doesn't matter.