The Yolmer-Moncada Predicament

ron883

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 18, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
No one is forcing him to do anything.

He is substandard defensively at second...no where near as good as Sanchez or Saladino. Scouts have suggested that his skills might be better suited to CF. A few of us fans would like to see him simply try CF because we see what the scouts have noticed. Moncada has the speed and arm to play CF while his defense at second has been lacking. Another way to put it is this - Moncada's quickness, speed and arm strength, would be maximized as a CFer.

This feels similar to when the Reds initially tried Billy Hamilton at SS. My guess is the Sox didn't want to make significant changes to his development their first year after acquiring him. Let him play his preferred position and focus on improving. If he struggles defensively after being promoted I could see the Sox transitioning him to CF next year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 18, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
I feel like wherever Moncada is best is where he winds up. There's no reason to force him into a position on a bad baseball team.

Don,t know if sanchez will keep hitting, but he did hit for a high average in the minors.

isn't 2nd base one of the positions where it is easy to be seriously injured?

I would hate to get the new face of the franchise banged up turning a tough double play .

And it does look like sanchez is a good defender there.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Yolmer is making this decision much more difficult.

Meh, he's 1 WAR right now, which is fine, but his BABIP is high, his strikeout percentage is 20%. Good for him for batting .300 though. Moncada should be a higher ceiling than that.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
Meh, he's 1 WAR right now, which is fine, but his BABIP is high, his strikeout percentage is 20%. Good for him for batting .300 though. Moncada should be a higher ceiling than that.

Is someone suggesting that Sanchez is the better player, either now, or in the future? The question is; if they were both good enough to play, where should they fit defensively? Sanchez is an outstanding defensive second baseman. Not only is Moncada not a very good defender, at that position, but several of us have made the obvious point that his tools are much better suited to centerfield. Having a great arm and speed are kind of wasted at second.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
Is someone suggesting that Sanchez is the better player, either now, or in the future? The question is; if they were both good enough to play, where should they fit defensively? Sanchez is an outstanding defensive second baseman. Not only is Moncada not a very good defender, at that position, but several of us have made the obvious point that his tools are much better suited to centerfield. Having a great arm and speed are kind of wasted at second.

I'm suggesting whatever is best for Moncada. Like Yolmer fine, but Moncada needs to be the most comfortable and effective long term.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Bring Moncada up and Yolmar become the utility infielder.

No reason to wait on this move any longer.

Except for Moncada being in a pretty big slump. Hitting .135 (5-37) in his last 37 ABs.

I think he and everyone of the top prospects should stay in the minors for at least this entire season.

What's the rush? Especially with the Sox not going anywhere and attempting to get the highest draft choices possible.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
Perhaps that thumb is still bothering him. I hope that's the reason. He was 0 for 5 today and drew the "hat trick".

His S.O. are getting to be a little alarming.

He said before he even had his first game off the DL that his thumb was still not 100% and it still felt uncomfortable. I wonder if it's affected his bat speed.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
Perhaps that thumb is still bothering him. I hope that's the reason. He was 0 for 5 today and drew the "hat trick".

His S.O. are getting to be a little alarming.

This is exactly what we want him to learn to battle through while at Charlotte. He will come out of it a better player.

Yolmer, despite the two walks, which were well taken, had a really s*** game yesterday. The stupid stole base, the dumber pickoff, then the failure to make two rather routine plays at 2B for a fielder like himself.

I think Miggy got into his head a little bit yesterday at 1B, filling his head with stuff. There are certain players that can joke and goof around on the field and still have mental sharpness. Seems like Yolmer has more growing to do.