Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Can't believe he was still on the board. My favorite steal right there.

I've been really impressed with this whole draft so far. Gonzalez, McClure & Skoug just feel like steals.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
It usually happens in the first round. This won't be an underslot deal. This is the Sox diamond in the rough attempt. Area scout is Robbie Cummings. He probably begged the crosscheckers to vet and sign off on this relative unknown.

Dude, get to studying! LOL

Or your russian stripper.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
It usually happens in the first round. This won't be an underslot deal. This is the Sox diamond in the rough attempt. Area scout is Robbie Cummings. He probably begged the crosscheckers to vet and sign off on this relative unknown.

Excellent info. Based on the fact that he's a water polo player, body type should be on the athletic side versus the Burger body type. If his baseball skills catches up, look out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't know how high the star power is on this draft, but it certainly seems like very nice depth to system. These guys each seem like they have legitimate shots with their talent and profile of making big league level. Similar to 2016, probably what you get when it's so college heavy. But these guys do not seem like projects at all.

Yes. very conservative, safe draft. No star potential but maybe a few soild MLB players.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
I've been really impressed with this whole draft so far. Gonzalez, McClure & Skoug just feel like steals.

I'm really digging this draft as well, assuming that we can sign all of these guys

Burger

Sheets

Gonzalez

Henzman

Johnson

McClure

Skoug

Abbott?

I think we got three interesting arms in Henzman, Johnson and McClure. McClure stands out as a player who could be a late bloomer given his huge size.

Burger, Sheets and Skoug certainly add a power element that did not really exist within the organization. Each also helps fill out our organizational depth.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
I'm really digging this draft as well, assuming that we can sign all of these guys

Burger

Sheets

Gonzalez

Henzman

Johnson

McClure

Skoug

Abbott?

I think we got three interesting arms in Henzman, Johnson and McClure. McClure stands out as a player who could be a late bloomer given his huge size.

Burger, Sheets and Skoug certainly add a power element that did not really exist within the organization. Each also helps fill out our organizational depth.

If we didn't sign Abbott I wouldn't be that bummed. To not sign a college junior would be pretty odd (in the top 10)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
The kid has committed to Long Beach State for Water Polo. Crazy.

No chance the sox sign him then. That's one of the top water polo schools in the nation. Must have picked him knowing they won't sign him and save some money.

edit: didn't realize they can't use the slot money. It's a weird pick, unless they just did it to draft him again in a few years and create some good will.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
No chance the sox sign him then. That's one of the top water polo schools in the nation. Must have picked him knowing they won't sign him and save some money.

Think if you don't sign you lose the slot value.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)

That actually wouldn't help us. If he doesn't sign we lose that slot money, if we wanted to save money would be much better signing a college senior for under 100k.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
Abbott will sign. The Sox aren't going to draft someone in the 8th round who won't sign. Find the last time the Sox failed to sign a Top 10 pick.

I'm going the other way. I can't imagine a water polo player, signed to Long Beach State won't go there. His scholarship is worth more than the slot money. Unless the sox go way overslot, I don't think there's much of a chance.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)

edit: didn't realize they can't use the slot money. It's a weird pick, unless they just did it to draft him again in a few years and create some good will.

You would usually do that in the later rounds, like they did with Montes De Oca. You almost never draft anyone you couldn't sign these days and lose the slot value, there are way better use of that money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Can he play water polo and then join the minors after that season is over

I guarantee he will be the player who is the most physically fit in the organization if he does.