Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I'd be shocked if a contender did not pick up Swarzak to help reinforce the bullpen for the stretch. Swarzak has the 7th highest WAR for relievers in the mlb this season and great peripherals.

I'm a bit surprised he has not been dealt yet.

Honestly, me too. Must mean nothing overly intriguing has been offered. But at this point, he is our best chip of guys who are likely to be moved, so maybe Hahn is just holding out for now.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still a pretty solid supply of relievers out there. As that dwindles and we get closer to the deadline Hahn is probably more likely to get a team to gamble this is the real Swarzak.

Also wonder if there's an outside shot he's trying to package him with one of our position guys. ie Melky and Swarzak to the Royals, Avi and Swarzak to the Cards, etc.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
Honestly, me too. Must mean nothing overly intriguing has been offered. But at this point, he is our best chip of guys who are likely to be moved, so maybe Hahn is just holding out for now.

Smart to hold out until just before the deadline. Pen help is always going to be in demand. He's a rental so I wouldn't expect a big return, but at least one solid prospect would be nice.

Apparently the Nats scouting the Sox arms still.

This from Phil Rogers. Obviously meant the Sox, not Cubs.

"Even with David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle off market, @Nationals still scouting @Cubs. Anthony Swarzak, Dan Jennings? Miguel Gonzalez?"

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
Apparently the Nats scouting the Sox arms still.

This from Phil Rogers. Obviously meant the Sox, not Cubs.

"Even with David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle off market, @Nationals still scouting @Cubs. Anthony Swarzak, Dan Jennings? Miguel Gonzalez?"

Gotta imagine it's Swarzak. Maybe Jennings for depth. Could be a depth starter but our guys aren't exactly lighting the world on fire on the peripherals.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
Hell, MiGo could make sense for the cubs. Hmm, MiGo would make sense for many contenders.

Dan Hayes‏Verified account

@CSNHayes

Following

More

Two scouts on Anthony Swarzak's value: could fetch a good prospect, likely outside of top 150. Lot of available relievers.

I like hearing this for sure^^

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
What would the Nats have to give up to get Swarzak and Avi? Would Kieboom, Mckenzie Mills, and Daniel Johnson do it? Or is that too light?

Nationals aren't going to trade for Avi after taking for Eaton despite the injury.

I'd absolutely start my ask higher than that though.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
Dan Hayes‏Verified account

@CSNHayes

Following

More

Two scouts on Anthony Swarzak's value: could fetch a good prospect, likely outside of top 150. Lot of available relievers.

I like hearing this for sure^^

Yeah, I like it too. That's better than I might have expected. We'll see what happens.

I was tweeting back and forth with Hayes a couple days ago, he said one team is in on Swarzak, but expects to there to be more the closer we get to the deadline. I wonder who that team is? And while we are on the packaging veterans talk, I wouldn't package him with Melky, I would package him with Miguel Gonzalez. A team like the Brewers and Rockies come to mind in making an excellent trade partner...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
I think the odds are Swarzak is dealt alone. He's pretty much a fit for any contender. Melky & Gonzalez are going to have much more limited markets and I don't think packaging one of them with Swarzak will greatly change the prospect return.

I do think Swarzak gets traded alone too, but I disagree with your second part. I think you can package Gonzalez if you wanted to because he has pitched well recently and on a fairly cheap deal, while Melky still has over 5 million left on his deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
I do think Swarzak gets traded alone too, but I disagree with your second part. I think you can package Gonzalez if you wanted to because he has pitched well recently and on a fairly cheap deal, while Melky still has over 5 million left on his deal.

Converting players like Swarzak into prospect(s) is going to be key to the rebuild. I'd look to land a young middle infield prospect with upside.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
I dont know if he goes anywhere but I do know he has done a damn good job at increasing his trade value. Cheers to Anthony on that. :cheers

99.9% chance Swarzak gets traded

1) His contract amounts to peanuts relative to the mlb

2) He has performed very well this year and is #7 overall in reliever WAR in the mlb

3) He would help any contender's bullpen and should come at a reasonable cost prospect wise

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Converting players like Swarzak into prospect(s) is going to be key to the rebuild. I'd look to land a young middle infield prospect with upside.

I agree or even OF prospects in rookie ball that are 18-19 years old.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)

I'd prefer a couple of young left handers with upside since we're still lacking in the system there, but in either case, definitely a couple of lotto young players.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
I'd prefer a couple of young left handers with upside since we're still lacking in the system there, but in either case, definitely a couple of lotto young players.

I have no interest in making trades based on position or what hand someone throws the ball. Every trade, especially right now, should be best player available regardless of position IMHO. We have plenty of time to fill in the gaps and really shouldnt be getting too cute right now.