2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

538 has a piece up looking at, statistically, when teams should go for 2 rather than kicking an extra point.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dick-v...nversion-chart/

You would think that teams would have stats guys up in the booth looking over this stuff in real team and relaying the information down to the coach(es), but given how often we see coaches completely mismanage games I'm wondering if there's still a lot more "gut feel" for everything.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
538 has a piece up looking at, statistically, when teams should go for 2 rather than kicking an extra point.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dick-v...nversion-chart/

You would think that teams would have stats guys up in the booth looking over this stuff in real team and relaying the information down to the coach(es), but given how often we see coaches completely mismanage games I'm wondering if there's still a lot more "gut feel" for everything.

The numbers are just predictions based on overall past results of all teams. The coaches need to consider his teams offense vs. the other teams defense, injuries at the time as well as many other factors that aren't considered in looking at all of the averages of all of the teams.

As long as we're on the topic of stats, I was looking at a few the other day and noticed not a single attempt a statistical measure like this used a Holm-Bonnferonni procedure after their calculations. This is a statistical method used to limit the inherent error when comparing multiple means such as this example uses. I recently had an article rejected and needed revisions for publication because I didn't do this. They said, rightfully so, that this type of error may invalidate the results (luckily for me it did not and the publication should go through).

I've never seen my wife so infuriated at a play. I mean that's the worst, most showboating move I've ever seen. All other examples of that the player is still running but starts to be loose with ball to celebrate. I've never seen a player slow at the 5 and stop at the 1. Unreal stupid. You think nobody was chasing you?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
The Steelers will be in the locker room during the National Anthem today.

he Steelers not coming onto the field during the National Anthem, now they're getting beat by the Da Bears. Karma! 1f609.png

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
So we can't play Trubisky because we wouldn't play full playbook.

Is this...is this the full playbook?

He's gonna learn and develop alot by watching a QB with no completions to WRs in 3 quarters.

Edited by TheTruth05