Looks For A Match In A Jose Abreu Trade

GenericUserName

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
The meeting Dick Allen went to makes it sounds like both are goners.

I think whatever trade they make, all but 2-3 fans on here will be overwhelmingly in favor of. It's all about prospects now. I think both will be dealt about the same time because once one is dealt, other GMs will try to steal the other because our team's years of contention will be pushed back once we trade one of them. I guess I agree if we could thoroughly rob somebody: 3 can't miss certain ML players and one mid level prospect I'd agree with dealing Avi.

What did Dick Allen say about both being gone? I must've missed that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Abreu to Rockies for McMahon, Tom Murphy, and Ryan Castellini

I wouldn't do that. Like everybody has said I would only give up Abreu for a huge package and that is alright... But I would do Avi for Tapia, Welker, and a high end arm. I think I'd only give Abreu if Rogers was included.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
Abreu to Rockies for McMahon, Tom Murphy, and Ryan Castellini

Not even close. Murphy failed miserably last season. He's not as good as Kevin Smith. Rockies would include Rodgers, Tapia, and Pint for Abreu.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Why can't Rick Hahn see this and agree with this. Seems to me he's intent on trading Avi and Abreu from what Dick has posted. He's in love with the fact fans worship him for the rebuild. And Jerry has to deep down love it too cause the payroll is making him and the partners gazillions of dollars in their later years with fan approval, not scorn. It'$ a win/win for Jerry and the partner$.

He will need another team to dance with him, but it was pretty obvious his preference would be for someone to make a nice offer. These guys are signed for 2 years. I want the Sox to win as much as anyone, but it isn't happening in 2018, and most likely not in 2019. Do you take a chance these guys play great and cost a mint to bring back in 2020, or worse yet, fall apart, and happily let them leave for nothing? Or do you get more prospects who may be able to help you when the window opens, and always have the possibility of bringing either or both back when you are ready to contend? He isn't going to give them away, and on this board over the past couple years there have been more than a couple posts wishing they would just give them away.

I agree prospectitis can be a silly disease. When they don't work out, it is painful. But where they are now, it makes sense to deal them both if the price is right.

I'm sorry, but I misspoke. I was thinking that the Sox would control both Avi and Abreu until after the 2020 season. I now realize that they are only under control until the end of 2019. That does change my perspective. However, I would prefer to see them both extended, if it can be accomplished at a reasonable price, without too long of a commitment.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
Not even close. Murphy failed miserably last season. He's not as good as Kevin Smith. Rockies would include Rodgers, Tapia, and Pint for Abreu.

Murphy had 280 AB’s all of last year and 26 were at the major league level. And you wrote him off already lol? And keep dreaming if you think we are getting all 3 of those prospects

Personally I'd keep both Avi and Abreu. I don't think they're going to want to build the lineup up from scratch. That might prove more difficult than anyone would expect. Like someone said, give Abreu a 4yr/70ish deal and I'm sure he'd be happy. Avi let it play out and decide during the season if they want to re-sign or trade.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
They wouldn’t do that.

I think The Sox likely value Abreu more than most other teams, which is why I doubt a trade will happen.

I don't think it happens either. Keep Abreu . Who knows how Moncada might react to losing a mentor and friend and after all it was Abreu who said Moncada should use a lighter bat. We all know how talented the kid is but I like his chances of being a star more with Abreu in his corner.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't think it happens either. Keep Abreu . Who knows how Moncada might react to losing a mentor and friend and after all it was Abreu who said Moncada should use a lighter bat. We all know how talented the kid is but I like his chances of being a star more with Abreu in his corner.

I think this is part of it, but I also think we need some certainty in middle of our lineup. Jimenez is really the only prospect I feel confident about turning into that type of hitter at the moment and you’re putting a ton of pressure on him to carry the offense if we trade both Jose & Avi. Again, unless someone is offering a true blue chipper, which is doubtful given the amount of 1B options on the market, I’d try to sign Abreu to a reasonable four year extension. If he’s not game for that, I’d start marketing him much more intensely, but I see him as a guy who would like to stay with this team for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
Murphy had 280 AB’s all of last year and 26 were at the major league level. And you wrote him off already lol? And keep dreaming if you think we are getting all 3 of those prospects

Murphy was virtually handed the catching job in ST and he got hurt, came back and was overwhelmed offensively. I saw him. He got one hit, and they sent him down. If Rockies re-sign Lacroy, Murphy is baggage to them. A 27 year old rookie, so, yeah, I have written him off as a trade target for Abreu. You don't trade a stud hitter like Abreu for guys like Murphy.

Keep laughing.

If RH is serious about finding a trade partner for Abreu, and I hope he is not, the Rox are great candidates. They love Abreu, and they would give up a lot for him. Of course, they would probably want us to take Desmond off their hands. No thanks. Rox don't really need Tapia or McMahon (if they had Abreu), so they would be offered. Then there remains Rodgers and Pint.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Murphy was virtually handed the catching job in ST and he got hurt, came back and was overwhelmed offensively. I saw him. He got one hit, and they sent him down. If Rockies re-sign Lacroy, Murphy is baggage to them. A 27 year old rookie, so, yeah, I have written him off as a trade target for Abreu. You don't trade a stud hitter like Abreu for guys like Murphy.

Keep laughing.

If RH is serious about finding a trade partner for Abreu, and I hope he is not, the Rox are great candidates. They love Abreu, and they would give up a lot for him. Of course, they would probably want us to take Desmond off their hands. No thanks. Rox don't really need Tapia or McMahon (if they had Abreu), so they would be offered. Then there remains Rodgers and Pint.

I don't have an opinion on Murphy but catchers tend to develop later than positional players. So 27 is not unrealistic for a catcher. Swihart of Boston will be 26 next spring training and there has been talk of him on this board as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
I don't have an opinion on Murphy but catchers tend to develop later than positional players. So 27 is not unrealistic for a catcher. Swihart of Boston will be 26 next spring training and there has been talk of him on this board as well.

Still, any conversation of Murphy for Abreu is a waste of fresh air.

You don't chance abreu having a down year and hurting his trade value. Trade him for prospects if the to t it deal comes. Rockies aren't trading rodgers for Abreu LOL. Some people overvalue him around here. Two prospects in the 50-100 range or a top 100 and 2-3 decent prospects if possible.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
You don't chance abreu having a down year and hurting his trade value. Trade him for prospects if the to t it deal comes. Rockies aren't trading rodgers for Abreu LOL. Some people overvalue him around here. Two prospects in the 50-100 range or a top 100 and 2-3 decent prospects if possible.

During Jose Abreu's worst year as a pro, he put up a 120 wRC+. Abreu having a down year would be an incredibly surprising development.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

Out of curiosity, how did you do predicting the value of Sale, Quintana, and / or Eaton?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
If Abreu to Rockies results in conversation, I will say the Sox targeted McMahon from the Rockies in the summer when they were talking over relievers. McMahon was obviously a bit much for Robertson though.

Would McMahon and Dahl be a package they might trade for Abreu?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)

You prospect people are incredible. When we finally get all prospects then we can start trading them for other prospects. The Sox organization is so bad it's been unable to do anything in a division full of clueless organizations, small market organizations (cept for Detroit which acted big for a while) since we won it all in 05. Sickening. Yeah it makes sense to dump our best hitter who could anchor our next WS contending team. Makes a lotta sense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)
You prospect people are incredible. When we finally get all prospects then we can start trading them for other prospects. The Sox organization is so bad it's been unable to do anything in a division full of clueless organizations, small market organizations (cept for Detroit which acted big for a while) since we won it all in 05. Sickening. Yeah it makes sense to dump our best hitter who could anchor our next WS contending team. Makes a lotta sense.

It actually does. Trading two years of Abreu for six years of two or more players who, ideally, will have more value, especially in the contention window. Having to make a large financial decision on Abreu near the beginning of the contention window is not ideal.