Ohtani signs with the Angels

southsider2k5

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Is there a reason that Ohtani did not try to come over in the last international free agent class where he could have gotten paid a mega contract?

Didn't his team not want to post him? Plus, I think under the old cba he could have been a free agent without restrictions this year because he is 23.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I don't think he expected the new CBA to be so hard against him but he wanted to come.

I think his team would have posted him if he demanded it because I thought I heard one of the reasons he signed with them was their openness to posting him when he wished.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
Right I don't think he expected the new CBA to be so hard against him but he wanted to come.

I think his team would have posted him if he demanded it because I thought I heard one of the reasons he signed with them was their openness to posting him when he wished.

It makes me wonder who was advising him when he was still in Japan. Because wasn't the new CBA approved like last winter, so he could have tried to just come over before the signing agreement ended in November. He would have gotten more money, been here sooner, and probably saved MLB and the players union from a lot of headaches.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
It makes me wonder who was advising him when he was still in Japan. Because wasn't the new CBA approved like last winter, so he could have tried to just come over before the signing agreement ended in November. He would have gotten more money, been here sooner, and probably saved MLB and the players union from a lot of headaches.

That's also a good point.

Matt Eddy‏ @MattEddyBA 49m49 minutes ago Here are players @Mariners traded to acquire their international bonus pool money:

SS Rayder Ascanio

C David Banuelos

RHP Robert Dugger

RHP Nick Neidert

SS Chris Torres

RHP Thyago Vieira

If Seattle signs Shohei Ohtani for full bonus amount, would that be considered a trade?

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 1h1 hour ago Jeff Passan Retweeted Buster Olney

Multiple officials have talked specifically about a one-year ban for any Ohtani malfeasance. And between that and the reputation hit that accompanies, the league expects it to be an effective scared-straight tactic. With upward of $200M in marginal value available, we shall see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 1h1 hour ago Jeff Passan Retweeted Buster Olney

Multiple officials have talked specifically about a one-year ban for any Ohtani malfeasance. And between that and the reputation hit that accompanies, the league expects it to be an effective scared-straight tactic. With upward of $200M in marginal value available, we shall see.

One year ban for the GM?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
I am guessing they mean in the international market. The other side is that it would also set Ohtani free again.

Is a one year ban in the international market that big of a deal if there’s a good chance you won’t caught? I would hope they have something bigger in mind if they’re trying a “scared straight” approach here.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
That Callis report seems glowing but Longenhagen has said if Ohtani was purely a hitter he wouldn't have him ranked in the top 100 prospects.

I'd love to see him become a star on both sides of the ball but having to focus on both will probably be too difficult, I would be surprised if he managed a 100 wRC+. But who really knows.

I'm still salty he gave the Cubs a final interview and not the Sox so I'm hoping you and Longenhagen are right.