White Sox acquire Joakim Soria, Luis Avilan and $3 Million

Sleepy Harold

GSB! @Grab_Some_Bench

New #WhiteSox LHP reliver Luis Avilan's splits will make you tingly inside. Has 128.1 IP vs lefty hitters in his MLB career, so by no means a small sample size.

Those lefties have mustered a .283 (!!!!) SLG% against him. And that # held true last year at .280

That is pretty impressive.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:12 PM)
The pessimism is well founded. he's that bad. Seriously, he may have made the decision for me to not get mlb.com this year. I'll go crazy watching him pitch. Perfect though, again, for those who want one more tank season. He's perfect cause nobody can accuse the Sox of tanking cause he has a name and makes a good buck. But he will get the tank job done. I'm not lying when I say Royals fans are rejoicing. It's better for them than New Year's Rockin Eve.

Can you please elaborate? I have no idea how his stuff was last year, but his K rate was above his career average and his BB rate wasn’t too much worse. The HR rate obviously appears to be an outlier though. Regardless, the stats seem to be pretty good. Did he blow a bunch of saves or something? If that’s the big problem then I’ll happily role the dice on him as our closer in a rebuilding season.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:09 AM)
I don't get the pessimism with Soria. He's had one bad year ever and that year was hardly a total s***show by White Sox standards. We're going to get something much nicer than Jake Peter in return for him at the deadline.

Yeah KC fans hate Soria but think they should get the world for Herrera who was awful last year

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:22 PM)
Can you please elaborate? I have no idea how his stuff was last year, but his K rate was above his career average and his BB rate wasn’t too much worse. The HR rate obviously appears to be an outlier though. Regardless, the stats seem to be pretty good. Did he blow a bunch of saves or something? If that’s the big problem then I’ll happily role the dice on him as our closer in a rebuilding season.

His average FB velo was the highest of his career, so at the very least his arm seems healthy.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:40 AM)
Don't care for the trade either way. No cost except money which the sox have plenty available due to the low payroll but also no real gain.

Yeah you could say they need relievers but honestly they are already projected to be a last place team next year, so why not lose 95+ and get another top3 pick (which might happen anyway fangraphs actually projects them as the worst team of the majors)

Ole Coop will fix em

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:12 PM)
The pessimism is well founded. he's that bad. Seriously, he may have made the decision for me to not get mlb.com this year. I'll go crazy watching him pitch. Perfect though, again, for those who want one more tank season. He's perfect cause nobody can accuse the Sox of tanking cause he has a name and makes a good buck. But he will get the tank job done. I'm not lying when I say Royals fans are rejoicing. It's better for them than New Year's Rockin Eve.

Greg demands a better major league roster in 2018.

Rick Hahn improves the talent roster for the 2018 roster

Greg is furious.

Sounds about right.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:22 PM)

Soria comes across as one of those "deceptively good" stats guys. He struggled last year with RISP and high leverage situations. Check out his Fangraph splits, small sample size, but not good by any means. Even so, I don't think there's any reason to freak out over him being on the team. Sox needed pen arms bad.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:03 PM)
So what does the bullpen look like now?

CL: Soria

SU: Jones

SU: Avilan

MR: Farquhar

MR: Bummer

MR: Minaya/Infante/Vieira

LR: Covey/?

I would think something like this:

CP: Soria

SU: Minaya

MR: Infante

LR: Scahill

Covey either as the 5th starter spot (until Rodon comes back) or in Charlotte starting. Vieira in Charlotte. Has Jones even been confirmed to be ready by the start of the year?

It's like Dotel/Linebrink with the Sox.

Deceptively good stats, but you absolutely couldn't count on him to hold a lead in August, when they were desperately fighting to stay in the division race.

KC basically was desperate to get him off the roster from a financial standpoint, but mostly psychologically...Yost kept going back to him over and over again and he just completely wore out his trust by the end of the season.

As a 7th or maybe 8th inning guy, he was pretty good. But he just completely fell apart the last two months in high leverage situations.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 08:03 PM)
So what does the bullpen look like now?

CL: Soria

SU: Jones

MR: Minaya/Infante/Vieira

LR: Covey/?

Minaya is set up for me still. Avilan is MR role

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:14 PM)
Alexander was that nasty lefty reliever on KC last year that threw everything below the knees

I remember him very well. Remembered talking about him in one of the GTs. Thank god the young guys don't ever have to face him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 02:22 AM)

Can I defer your questions to Caulfield? He can explain. He was probably the most despised Royal in KC of the fans. He was that bad.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 02:35 AM)
Greg, Soria had a 2.23 FIP last year and striking out over 10 hitters per 9 innings. He was damn good last year.

I defer to Caulfield.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 02:37 AM)
Greg demands a better major league roster in 2018.

Rick Hahn improves the talent roster for the 2018 roster

Greg is furious.

Sounds about right.

The other guy we got sounds fine.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 02:39 AM)
Soria comes across as one of those "deceptively good" stats guys. He struggled last year with RISP and high leverage situations. Check out his Fangraph splits, small sample size, but not good by any means. Even so, I don't think there's any reason to freak out over him being on the team. Sox needed pen arms bad.

Not a bad post but he's really bad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 09:56 PM)
Can I defer your questions to Caulfield? He can explain. He was probably the most despised Royal in KC of the fans. He was that bad.

I defer to Caulfield.

The other guy we got sounds fine.

Not a bad post but he's really bad.

Soria is not "really bad".