Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Friend of mine who lives in Boston says the Boston media thinks the Sale trade is one of the great trades in the history of the Boston franchise. They think they received an ace pitcher for a utility player. (Moncada)  This trade is looking really bad for the White Sox now.  I don't think anybody can expect Kopech to be as good as Sale. Moncada is the key to the trade. If Moncada doesn't do well the trade has to be considered a failure.

Yeah, because the Boston media isn't biased or anything.

5 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Yeah, because the Boston media isn't biased or anything.

Haha, not only that, but anyone who tries to declare a trade "won" or "lost" two years after it happened, when most of the people involved in the trade are still in the minor leagues, shouldn't be taken seriously anyway 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But Moncada should at least be able to pull the ball to the LH side of the diamond when he is hitting from the RH side and get 5-7 additional hits by accident.  They both pull off the ball, and by virtue of doing that, some balls should be spinning off the top of the bat the other direction from time to time, pseudo bunts, essentially.

Obviously, he pulls everything as a LHB into the shift, but he still should have more infield hits up the middle.

Since you’re so wise, how many hitters in baseball today have fewer infield hits and the same degree of speed?

I'm just saying that if you look at each guy's swing, it's pretty obvious why one is going to get more infield singles than the other. One has a flat swing, and the other has a more traditional LH uppercut swing. 

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Friend of mine who lives in Boston says the Boston media thinks the Sale trade is one of the great trades in the history of the Boston franchise. They think they received an ace pitcher for a utility player. (Moncada)  This trade is looking really bad for the White Sox now.  I don't think anybody can expect Kopech to be as good as Sale. Moncada is the key to the trade. If Moncada doesn't do well the trade has to be considered a failure.

LOLZ

Speaking of Moncada having a rough day with pitchers nailing the corners on him, it seems like for some reason opposing pitchers don't throw him mistakes that often. They seem to nail the corners more often than not in his PA. Not making excuses for him or anything, but it just seems like the pitches he actually has the opportunity to drive are far fewer than others. It is kind of weird, but the dude doesn't seem to get as many cookies as the other guys in the lineup. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Speaking of Moncada having a rough day with pitchers nailing the corners on him, it seems like for some reason opposing pitchers don't throw him mistakes that often. They seem to nail the corners more often than not in his PA. Not making excuses for him or anything, but it just seems like the pitches he actually has the opportunity to drive are far fewer than others. It is kind of weird, but the dude doesn't seem to get as many cookies as the other guys in the lineup. 

Sorry that's nonsense. He's had plenty of center-cut fastballs that he takes instead of crushing. He also has a horrible tendency of fouling off good pitches to hit on the outer half.

Right now he has been looking a lot like a player who is caught between two different approaches, something like you might expect if he's working on his approach but hasn't quite gotten it all the way there. Seems to me that he's not taking especially aggressive cuts, especially late in the count, but at the same time isn't getting much out of his cut-down swings. And he has had a number of at-bats where he has some pitches where he is overly aggressive (e.g., chasing outside the zone) while also taking some pitches he needs to try to hit. Looks a lot like he's trying to balance multiple things and isn't through that transition just yet.

20 minutes ago, Jake said:

Right now he has been looking a lot like a player who is caught between two different approaches, something like you might expect if he's working on his approach but hasn't quite gotten it all the way there. Seems to me that he's not taking especially aggressive cuts, especially late in the count, but at the same time isn't getting much out of his cut-down swings. And he has had a number of at-bats where he has some pitches where he is overly aggressive (e.g., chasing outside the zone) while also taking some pitches he needs to try to hit. Looks a lot like he's trying to balance multiple things and isn't through that transition just yet.

I agree with this, and will add that he looks like a mental wreck at the plate who is in between aggressive and passive attacks from pitch to pitch.  I wish we had the ability to give him a few days off to clear his head and give him a better mental state at the plate.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree with this, and will add that he looks like a mental wreck at the plate who is in between aggressive and passive attacks from pitch to pitch.  I wish we had the ability to give him a few days off to clear his head and give him a better mental state at the plate.

They definitely should play Davidson at 3B and Sanchez at 2B for a couple days.

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

You sound like Hawk.

He's definitely not a bust yet or worth giving up on but I'd say right now it's looking like a coin flip on his career instead of the sure thing we assumed. 50% chance he stays at his current level, 50% chance he becomes an all star, 50% chance he only gets a little bit better

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

He's definitely not a bust yet or worth giving up on but I'd say right now it's looking like a coin flip on his career instead of the sure thing we assumed. 50% chance he stays at his current level, 50% chance he becomes an all star, 50% chance he only gets a little bit better

That's 150%

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looking really bad?  We don’t know what Moncada is yet, but Kopech looks like a future ace & Basabe has made massive leaps this year.  If we hit on two of three it’s a trade well worth it given where we were at the time.

I live in New England and I hear little or nothing about the trade. Basically Sale has been a stud this season but the media is still having a wait and see approach to his ability to still be a stud in October.  What I find amazing is that there seems to be zero Sale talk outside the lines.  Nothing .  Maybe he has matured since reaching Boston. Always David Price media spats but Sale is very silent. 

3 hours ago, Jake said:

I've noticed he keeps his head on the ball really well, even when hes got 2 strikes. That leads me to believe he's got no problems actually seeing the ball well. I want to start paying more attention to his his load and how he shifts weight with 2 strikes. I wonder if he can't fight pitches off because he's not adjusting his load at all to protect the plate. 

21 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I live in New England and I hear little or nothing about the trade. Basically Sale has been a stud this season but the media is still having a wait and see approach to his ability to still be a stud in October.  What I find amazing is that there seems to be zero Sale talk outside the lines.  Nothing .  Maybe he has matured since reaching Boston. Always David Price media spats but Sale is very silent. 

The Red Sox have nothing to complain about yet.  Sale has been as good as you could possibly imagine in the regular season.  The only way they’ll have buyers remorse is if Sale doesn’t do something big in October before he hits free agency.  I’m not sure the return really matters if Sale leads them to a championship.

3 hours ago, Goober said:

You have 3-50% choices instead of 2 . What you did forget is he also has a chance to get worse. With his  467 plate appearances this year he has just about double last year's.  He is down % wise in almost every category except stolen bases. Without a surge down the strecth, he will regress this season. 

Edited by SCCWS
  • Thanks 1