Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

https://deadspin.com/white-sox-prospect-yoan-moncada-eats-up-to-85-twinkies-1793613366

Just found out about this article from Spring of 17. The guy was eating 85 twinkies a week as a multi-multi millionaire professional athlete? I understand that he was a young man just arriving in a new country, but he is far far from your average "joe" and has financial priviledges that most of us will never come close to having. 

That kind of behavior should have set off some alarms and served as a red flag about the kid's work ethic. 

Also, the quotes from Keith Law about Moncada's hit tool have been very accurate some 18 months later. Moncada has to learn how to adjust his hitting approach and cut down his K rate. His 2018 has been worse than his 2017 and that is very alarming. 

I thought you were the guy that loved the long ball and didn't care about strikeout rate? e.g., Nolan Gorman

By the way, your guy Albies is dropping like a rock since his hot start. Down to 107 wRC+ for the season and dropping FAST. 576 OPS in August. That must be concerning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I thought you were the guy that loved the long ball and didn't care about strikeout rate? e.g., Nolan Gorman

By the way, your guy Albies is dropping like a rock since his hot start. Down to 107 wRC+ for the season and dropping FAST. 576 OPS in August. That must be concerning.

Nolan Gorman is 18 years old and only a level below Madrigal. Gorman may be in the Show long before his 21st birthday. I would take him in a hearbeat over Madrigal right now but that ship has sailed. 

Albies is 20 years old and two years younger than Moncada lol!  In what world is a wRC+ of 107 bad? Have you seen Moncada's wRC+? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Nolan Gorman is 18 years old and only a level below Madrigal. Gorman may be in the Show long before his 21st birthday. I would take him in a hearbeat over Madrigal right now but that ship has sailed. 

Albies is 20 years old and two years younger than Moncada lol!  In what world is a wRC+ of 107 bad? Have you seen Moncada's wRC+? 

First of all, Albies turns 22 in January. You must be thinking it's 2017 still. Second, you were just ripping on Moncada for showing no improvement from last year and yet your guy Albies has a lower wRC+ than last season and is trending way down as this season progresses. I guess as long as he stays above a 100 wRC+ for the season you won't be concerned. That's fine, I will check in again in another month to see where he's at. 

Also, it's hard to take a guy serious that throws out a hypothetical trade proposal of Moncada + Kopech for Gleyber Torres earlier in this thread. :lolhitting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

First of all, Albies turns 22 in January. You must be thinking it's 2017 still. Second, you were just ripping on Moncada for showing no improvement from last year and yet your guy Albies has a lower wRC+ than last season and is trending way down as this season progresses. I guess as long as he stays above a 100 wRC+ for the season you won't be concerned. That's fine, I will check in again in another month to see where he's at. 

Also, it's hard to take a guy serious that throws out a hypothetical trade proposal of Moncada + Kopech for Gleyber Torres earlier in this thread. :lolhitting

Just block him and other stop quoting him. Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Remember, this is a guy who takes any random sample and argues it reflects future performance.  See David Bote for reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Renteria HAS TO STOP MOVING HIM (and everyone else) AROUND IN THE LINEUP LIKE THEY'RE IN THE FUCKI** PEACE CORP.  I cannot stand him.  I'm not sure how much it matters for these proffessionals but it certainly doesn't help with the psyche.. Rant done.  Please don't block me, im frustrated with RenTURDria.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Renteria HAS TO STOP MOVING HIM (and everyone else) AROUND IN THE LINEUP LIKE THEY'RE IN THE FUCKI** PEACE CORP.  I cannot stand him.  I'm not sure how much it matters for these proffessionals but it certainly doesn't help with the psyche.. Rant done.  Please don't block me, im frustrated with RenTURDria.

Totally.  Renteria is a joke.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @jasonbenetti: For perspective's sake:

2013, Jose Altuve (age 23):  152 games, .316 OBP, .363 SLG, 0.5 fWAR

2018, Yoan Moncada (age 23):  118 games, .302 OBP, .392 SLG, 1.1 fWAR

Yeah I saw this. A bit disingenuous considering Altuve's K rate was 12.6% and Moncada's is 34.5%. I get what he's going for but they're too dissimilar as players to compare.

16 minutes ago, daggins said:

Yeah I saw this. A bit disingenuous considering Altuve's K rate was 12.6% and Moncada's is 34.5%. I get what he's going for but they're too dissimilar as players to compare.

yeah I have no idea why this comparison is relevant at all

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

yeah I have no idea why this comparison is relevant at all

Because at the age of 23, a now-great player also struggled and in some categories, Moncada is having a better year at 23 than that now-great player did at 23. That’s why it’s relevant.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It’s likely than Moncada will wind up the year with 50-55 xbh and 70+ walks. I certainly would’ve taken those numbers from him in a heartbeat if you had told me those preseason. 

Even with the insanely high k's?

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Because at the age of 23, a now-great player also struggled and in some categories, Moncada is having a better year at 23 than that now-great player did at 23. That’s why it’s relevant.

Statistically speaking, the comparison means nothing. I could compare a bunch of random players to show whatever I wanted.

If Jose altuve wasextremely similar to moncads it might make a little sensr, but other n that it is useless fluff.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Even with the insanely high k's?

I understand that Ks are worse than other putouts in that you don’t put the ball in play, and thus don’t have the opportunity for a productive out or to run up some insanely good BABIP swing, but I think strikeouts are severely overrated. It’s another out and not all strikeouts are equal. I mean, does it really matter if you lead off an inning striking out or weakly grounding to the pitcher? Does it matter if you hit a sky high infield fly vs striking out with runners on first and second?

• Like 1

Strike outs matter, simply because it means an automatic out. If a batter makes contact, there are many possible outcomes and a lot of them result in something positive. With his speed, there are so many chances to get on base, if he can improve his contact rate.  What BABIP does a hitter need, in order to have a respectable batting average, if he strikes out 39% of the time? 

On 8/23/2018 at 12:44 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He hit you with the laugh emoji, but you dropped facts and are 100% correct.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Strike outs matter, simply because it means an automatic out. If a batter makes contact, there are many possible outcomes and a lot of them result in something positive. With his speed, there are so many chances to get on base, if he can improve his contact rate.  What BABIP does a hitter need, in order to have a respectable batting average, if he strikes out 39% of the time? 

Just doing some quick searching, it would have to be pretty high - like .300+ looking at the small sample size I saw. For example, 2017 Chris Davis has a BABIP of .301 and still hit only .215 for the year.

Assuming a BABIP of .300, if Moncada had a league average number of strikeouts (64 less) he would have probably 19 more hits.

However, we all knew coming into his career that he was a higher strikeout hitter, so I would think a more realistic projection for what he was expected to do was that he should be somewhere in between where he is now and the league average....say at 145 strikeouts.

So if he had 34 less strikeouts, assuming a BABIP of .300, he would have 9 more hits and would be hitting .237.

So let’s just put this in perspective that because Yoan Moncada doesn’t have like NINE more hits his rookie year, some folks in this thread think he is totally garbage / a bust compared to being at least acceptable or very good.

Right?

• Like 1