2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

22 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I can see the qualms: undersized RH hitter who can only play 1st or DH has its attendant risks as a top 5 pick.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Sox draft someone like Bishop, sign him for under slot, and use the savings to get premium prep in rounds 2-5 and/or thereafter.

I doubt they'd do that, so Abrams (preferred) or Vaughn would be fine.  No Bleday.

How I'd love Bishop, kid is going to be a star

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't but damn it's fun to dream on Jack Lieter.  

That would be interesting, top HS arm and frankly filthy

57 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Burger = big question mark to even make the show, IMO

Collins = Sox still have him earmarked for catcher

Mercedes = getting a bit old for a prospect.  He’s probably trade fodder.

Eloy = LF for now, but I could see DH in his future

Abreu = nearing retirement

Vaughn = still makes sense to replace Abreu at 1B considering all of the above and that not all guys will pan out

If Vaughn is highest rated available you have to take him, because I dont know who of those guys ends up working out. You cant assume theyre all going to hit

Eloy would be the best bet but you can get away with him at LF at times. Hopefully on a good team he doesnt have to play there, but still.

33 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

How I'd love Bishop, kid is going to be a star

That would be interesting, top HS arm and frankly filthy

The Mike Leake comps don't excite me too much - they also make a lot of sense. Leiter doesn't have elite stuff by any means but he throws everything for strikes and has three average pitches already. Leake was pretty much big league ready the day he was drafted but his ceiling just isn't there.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They might be able to get him under. He'd fall to #5 otherwise 

I don't love Vaughn's floor, but he might be the right guy to select for us. The bat and power should play at the mlb level, but I do worry about passing over a better long term talent in a prep guy like Abrams. 

I still think its important for the Sox to save money. Whether its a 100k or 500k that is the goal. They Rutschman/Witt to fall and if they don't I would expect the Sox to save some cash.

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I still think its important for the Sox to save money. Whether its a 100k or 500k that is the goal. They Rutschman/Witt to fall and if they don't I would expect the Sox to save some cash.

Baty over Abrams?

Edit: I see your answer above 

Edited by DH in the NL

I stand by the idea that Adley falls into the Sox lap at 3 and the Os get cute and draft Bleday/Vaughn or Abrams. Since it appears Abrams stock is perceived to be falling it wouldn't shock me for him to sign a similar deal to Lewis or Correa to go #1 for like 5M, saving the O's 3.4 to spread around.

Just now, DH in the NL said:

Baty over Abrams?

I am not a fan. It seems like Abrams isn't willing to take a discount. Of course today they could figure out if he doesnt go to Sox he could fall to 6. They're a ~$1.5M difference between those picks. You would think there would be some give from Abrams there. 

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Would not like. Dude is really, really old for a high schooler.

The funny thing about this is nobody wants him as a 19.5 year old HS 3B. But if he goes to Texas and mashes, two years from now he'll be a top 10 lock. So strange. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I am not a fan. It seems like Abrams isn't willing to take a discount. Of course today they could figure out if he doesnt go to Sox he could fall to 6. They're a ~$1.5M difference between those picks. You would think there would be some give from Abrams there. 

Fangraphs has Abrams falling to #10. 

I find it kind of weird how on radio the fangraphs guys talk about how poor lodolo is and how he's a big fall candidate, as well as how the 7-9 guys want to cut a deal, but he keeps sticking there at 7ish.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The funny thing about this is nobody wants him as a 19.5 year old HS 3B. But if he goes to Texas and mashes, two years from now he'll be a top 10 lock. So strange. 

It makes sense though.  He is hitting against kids he is 1.5 years older than.  That is huge in HS.

Can anyone give me the lowdown a kid named Jordan Brewer entering the draft? My coworker coached him in Ohio and raves about this kid. He currently plays 1b/of for Michigan. He coached the kid when he was little I just wanna know how good is he?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic