Moncada & Umpires

Jose Abreu

This thread doesn't include the two called third strikes tonight: 

When it comes to things like this, I generally think that it all evens out, as the player also gets lucky with calls the other way around. But that hasn't been the case with Moncada, He has legitimately been screwed over by called third strikes 15-25 times this year, oftentimes on pitches not even close to the zone. Why does Renteria not complain, and why have the Sox seemingly not talked to MLB about this? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, EvilJester99 said:

Only thing Moncada can do is start swinging at anything even remotely close.. even just to foul it off. The umps are doing him no favors at all. 

I wonder of the 30 calls, how many left side  vs right? Curious if it is a stance problem. Judge is huge so maybe his strike-zone causes umps issues. 

3 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

So glad Jason posted that. I legitimately started cracking up when I saw the response to his tweet "Only thing you can do... UNLEASH HAWK"

So many people hate Hawk until something like this happens... then they turn into Hawk and lose their minds. 

I doubt it's a personal thing. He never speaks to the umps. It must be something to do with the way he's setup in the box? He does dive-into the plate sometimes when he takes. Could make the outside pitch appear to be closer to the plate and deceive umps.

Just spitballing... I have no f'n clue. However, it may be worth simply pointing out to the MLB.

19 minutes ago, Richie said:

I doubt it's a personal thing. He never speaks to the umps. It must be something to do with the way he's setup in the box? He does dive-into the plate sometimes when he takes. Could make the outside pitch appear to be closer to the plate and deceive umps.

Just spitballing... I have no f'n clue. However, it may be worth simply pointing out to the MLB.

Also saw a stat that said he takes the highest amount of pitches with 2 strikes, which increases the chances of getting bad calls against him.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also saw a stat that said he takes the highest amount of pitches with 2 strikes, which increases the chances of getting bad calls against him.

That's no excuse for called strikes on balls 6 inches out of the zone though. He shouldn't have to swing at junk because umpires can't do their job 

As fathom alluded to, I do suspect there's a chance that he is so unique in his willingness to take pitches just outside the zone with 2 strikes that he may just be exposing how hard it is for umpires to call those pitches. While most of the calls in the Twitter thread are shown to be rarely called strikes in general, if you isolate every instance of a rare event it can look like the rare event happens constantly. The data necessary to see whether he does worse on two strikes than most batters exists but would be hard to wrangle. What you might want to see is something like whether his average strike zone is different than other players'.

35 minutes ago, Jake said:

As fathom alluded to, I do suspect there's a chance that he is so unique in his willingness to take pitches just outside the zone with 2 strikes that he may just be exposing how hard it is for umpires to call those pitches. While most of the calls in the Twitter thread are shown to be rarely called strikes in general, if you isolate every instance of a rare event it can look like the rare event happens constantly. The data necessary to see whether he does worse on two strikes than most batters exists but would be hard to wrangle. What you might want to see is something like whether his average strike zone is different than other players'.

Frank Thomas did this as well. He would routinely argue with the umpires, go into the clubhouse, watch the replay and cone back out to yell at the umpires to go watch the replays of how wrong they were.

Moncada cannot be a full time starter if he cannot hit RH pitching, and thus far, he seems to have proven that he can't.

I'm not buying excuses. This season is over half way done,

Moncada will be 24 next year and Madrigal will be challenging for second base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Moncada cannot be a full time starter if he cannot hit RH pitching, and thus far, he seems to have proven that he can't.

I assume you mean he can’t hit LHP, because he’s been pretty good against RHP.  And what does the “he will be 24” next year comment mean?  Are you suggesting he should be fully developed by age 24?

17 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's no excuse for called strikes on balls 6 inches out of the zone though. He shouldn't have to swing at junk because umpires can't do their job 

Couldn't agree more.  Even if it isn't junk.  He shouldn't have to become worse at a great skill (zone judgement) because the Umps are bad.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tray said:

.... the hell is this? 

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Couldn't agree more.  Even if it isn't junk.  He shouldn't have to become worse at a great skill (zone judgement) because the Umps are bad.

Baseball is a game of adjustment sometimes it's adjusting to the ump. If he calls the strike zone a certain way. He needs to adjust to the zone otherwise he hurts himself and the team. As long as their are human umps, there will be different strike zones.

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

.... the hell is this? 

WTH is dat?  LOL. It's a typo like say, mofo.

Moncada can't hit Left Handed pitchers as a Right Handed hitter.   But you knew that.

He cannot  start games against against LEFT HANDED starters if continues to hit .147  against them  LOL

He doesn't want to play third base  and  anyway, Yolmer is probably a better defender there with a superior arm.

PERHAPS Madrigal could beat Moncada  out for the second base job, maybe as soon as next season.

My guess is that Madrigal will make all the routine plays just like he did in College,  and will hit for a much higher average than Moncada and avoid all the strike outs.  Moncada  touted as the number one prospect in all of baseball has not yet lived up to that rating.

• Thanks 1