Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Was it bad when Detroit added Miggy to the middle of their lineup?  Seemed like it worked out pretty well for their success going forward and a lot of players benefitted from his presence

I'm sure it did. However, how far will that go if there's a huge organizational problem developing talent? 

6 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

How is it a desperation move? Even if the young guys had all killed it in 2018 adding one of Machado/Harper would still make a lot of sense.

I didn't say it was. But they should be worried about how everything's gone now. Right now it looks like they are trending in the front direction. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Brother, if you want this team to fail in the hopes that someone gets fired, you are watching the wrong team.

Also, even signing Harper AND Machado wouldn't prevent this team from evaluation of player development.  We literally have no 3B worth worrying about blocking, and while it would be interesting to see what you can get out of guys like Palka and Delmonico, none of them have a chance at being a star player, so really it doesn't matter if they lose time.  We aren't talking about guys like Eloy and Robert being blocked here.

It's a wait and see approach. If they turn the corner great. If not they should be gone after next year. I never have to "hope" someone gets fired. If they are bad enough the results show it and the rest is moot. 

Edited by Baron

10 minutes ago, Baron said:

It's a wait and see approach. If they turn the corner great. If not they should be gone after next year. I never have to "hope" someone gets fired. If they are bad enough the results show it and the rest is moot. 

...except it wouldn't be great, because they would have passed up the opportunity to add proven, premium, young talent to the promising core that "turned the corner".  They would be one Machado/Harper worse than they could have been. 

Sorry, but your position -- that we should avoid adding premium talent because there is a chance our existing talent level isn't high enough -- is indefensible.

19 minutes ago, Baron said:

Except they aren't going to be swept out.  If they weren't swept out after the 2014-16 (especially 2016) debacle, why would they be this time?  I guess there could be a tipping point for everyone, but it's hard to have confidence that this will be the tipping point.  

Re chasing Machado/harper, my fear is that if they sign one, they will then act in desperation to accumulate veteran players at stiff prices.  Also, it could be argued that it is distracting them from building this team....not with veterans by by finding trading other young players.  They have an abundance of outfield prospects, but are thin everywhere else, including pitching. 

Edited by GreenSox

18 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm sure it did. However, how far will that go if there's a huge organizational problem developing talent? 

I didn't say it was. But they should be worried about how everything's gone now. Right now it looks like they are trending in the front direction. 

Clearly they are banking that the organization is on the right path, and adding Machado is only going to help that process when some of these guys start hitting the majors.   If they fail in that aspect, the rebuild is a fail anyways.  So you might as well grab one of the big two and say "let's do this"

Just now, GreenSox said:

Except they aren't going to be swept out.  If they weren't swept out after the 2014-16 (especially 2016) debacle, why would they be this time?  I guess their could be a tipping point for everyone, but it's hard to have confidence that this will be the tipping point.

Re chasing Machado/harper, my fear is that if they sign one, they will then act in desperation to accumulate veteran players at stiff prices.  Also, it could be argued that it is distracting them from building this team....not with veterans by by finding trading other young players.  They have an abundance of outfield prospects, but are thin everywhere else, including pitching. 

Oh my god will you stop droning in about this already?  Look at the fucking lineup for once in your life.  Almost every position is occupied or will be occupied by a player who is under 30 and controllable.   They aren't signing your hero's, they aren't signing 35 year old guys on their last legs, they are trying to build a young up and coming team IN THE MOLD OF WHAT YOU WANT 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Oh my god will you stop droning in about this already?  Look at the fucking lineup for once in your life.  Almost every position is occupied or will be occupied by a player who is under 30 and controllable.  

Because they already started.  I bet even your Todd Frazier bobblehead knows the actual moves they made this offseason:  2 trades for 2 2-year players.   And  another for a 1 year player.  The controllables were all outgoing.  And because that's what they do.  
I hope this trio, unlike the others, can actually play to their reputations.

Edited by GreenSox

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Because they already started.  I bet even your Todd Frazier bobblehead knows the actual moves they made this offseason:  2 trades for 2 2-year players.   And  another for a 1 year player.  The controllables were all outgoing.  And because that's what they do.  

And don't forget get those young player that are losing roster spots/at bats 

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I bet your Tyler Saladino bobble head is far more real than my Todd Frazier bobble head.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I have no idea what in the world you are taking about here.  They sold high on a catcher that was essentially replacement level (once you factor in framing) coming off what is likely a flukey offensive season for a pretty good setup man with two years of control.  That guy takes pressure off our young relievers and can probably be flipped for a return greater than what Narvaez would have come next year’s deadline.

They traded a guy who was barely in our top 10 OF prospects and has nowhere to play next year for a left-handed bat with one guaranteed year who was obviously brought in solely to improve our chances of landing a whale.  There is nothing more to this trade whatsoever.

Finally they traded a complete lottery ticket and some worthless international slot money to get one year of back-end starter.  I’m not a huge fan of Nova, but we needed to add a veteran starter to eat some innings.  Stop trying to act as if we gave away some “controllable” asset in this deal because that’s beyond absurd.

None of these moves suggest this “go for it” plan that you’re accusing our front office of.

20 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If you believe Alex Call was important to the future, I have a bridge to sell you.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you believe Alex Call was important to the future, I have a bridge to sell you.

He might end up being a serviceable 4th OF, but that’s the last thing we should be worried about right now and he had nowhere to play next year unless we wanted him to drown in AAA.

I don't understand why some of you are so down on the Sox chances. I know this isn't the Machado thread, but he had a great meeting with the Sox and was willing to sign at that time. Just because the other 2 meetings may have also gone well doesn't mean he has no interest in coming here anymore, it just may mean he's willing to go to whoever offers him the most. I think our chances of getting Manny are totally on the Sox offering more than the Phillies (I think the Yankees are going to play the discount game like they did with Corbin). 

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't understand why some of you are so down on the Sox chances. I know this isn't the Machado thread, but he had a great meeting with the Sox and was willing to sign at that time. Just because the other 2 meetings may have also gone well doesn't mean he has no interest in coming here anymore, it just may mean he's willing to go to whoever offers him the most. I think our chances of getting Manny are totally on the Sox offering more than the Phillies (I think the Yankees are going to play the discount game like they did with Corbin). 

No offense, but I don’t think many are putting any stock in the rumor that he was ready to sign when in a Chicago. Nothing that has happened since indicates that was a factual report. 

He well may still become a White Sox. But he wasn’t ready to sign early last week. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

No offense, but I don’t think many are putting any stock in the rumor that he was ready to sign when in a Chicago. Nothing that has happened since indicates that was a factual report. 

He well may still become a White Sox. But he wasn’t ready to sign early last week. 

Plus other parts of that rumor (Manny staying in Chicago through Wednesday, Abreu being in town for the pitch) were seemingly debunked.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You're right that no reports came out about that, but what's funny is that someone who is considered an insider on this board, who I won't name, corroborated the same info that he heard from a separate source. But I doubt we will ever get confirmation either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Plus other parts of that rumor (Manny staying in Chicago through Wednesday, Abreu being in town for the pitch) were seemingly debunked.

We heard an unnamed bartender say Machado was at O'Hare on Tuesday. Not really hard proof.

And I haven't heard anything about Abreu's whereabouts during that time, but lay it on me.

I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that in a span of a few days we heard that the Cubs are going to make a run at Bryce Harper and that both Harper and Machado don’t like Philadelphia. 

I think the Sox and the Phillies come out of this winter with one of these guys, I just can’t figure out who’s getting who. 

4 hours ago, Baron said:

No. I'll reiterate I think the chance that we are chosen is close to zero. Right now I think the Phillies and the White Sox are being used. I'm not sure either player actually wants to land in either place. So the agents are going to drag this process along until hopefully somebody else jumps in. Boras's last call for bids is going to be at the very last second. 

I can say with a pretty good degree of confidence that this is not the case. 

Just another random piece of possibly useless social media to report....

On his IG story today, Kopech referred to a #34 chain that his girlfriend got him as his "Debut number". I thought that was kind of interesting instead of my just saying "my number". He seems to he hinting that he realizes it may not be his number anymore.

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Just another random piece of possibly useless social media to report....

On his IG story today, Kopech referred to a #34 chain that his girlfriend got him as his "Debut number". I thought that was kind of interesting instead of my just saying "my number". He seems to he hinting that he realizes it may not be his number anymore.

And Yonder Alonso made both a post and a story about Manny Machado on Instagram today as well.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils