8-23 GT: Sox @ Cubs (1:20pm)

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, a great way to develop a young pithcer is to always say you're not good enough to go into the 6th, or throw starter pitch counts, even though you just got 5 outs last inning and pitched around your defense crushing you.

He made one mistake that inning; he wasn't tired. Shit happens. My lord. this is just nauseating to read. 

GO TO THE BULLPEN for every single decision. It's embarrassing.

He didn’t even have a reliever ready.  Does Cease need a safe space where the threat of getting pulled doesn’t exist?  Otherwise, have one of your promising young relievers warming up and ready to go if needed.  Don’t think that’s an unfair ask.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

It’s not about Cease giving up runs. That stuff happens. I‘m not saying  he should have pulled Cease after 5, but to at least have someone up in the pen as he was closing in on 100 pitches and leaving his breaking ball up.

The sox have warmed up guys 1 batter before pulling him multiple times already this season. Cease got out of the inning. Guys give up runs sometimes. That's how the game works. Cease was rolling. To pull him is just an idiotic move made by a bunch of doomsday panicked forum posters.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony said:

Probably the biggest thing long term he needs to work on, and I feel like the leadership on this team should help. He seems to just take mental off days too often. 

Or an “I have no chance against this guy’s slider” approach 

Just now, fathom said:

What a disgusting day for Robert. Just a lack of focus.

____
          /   /\
         /___/  \
        /   /\  /\
       /   /  \/  \
      /   /   /\   \
     /   /   /  \   \
    /   /   /\   \   \
   /   /   /  \   \   \
  /___/___/____\   \   \
 /   /          \   \  /\
/___/____________\___\/  \
\   \             \   \  /
 \___\_____________\___\/
  • Love 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He didn’t even have a reliever ready.  Does Cease need a safe space where the threat of getting pulled doesn’t exist?  Otherwise, have one of your promising young relievers warming up and ready to go if needed.  Don’t think that’s an unfair ask.

Said it below, but Sox have warmed guys up in a second plenty of time.

I still remember a classic Jon Garland story though regarding that. For his entire career before ozzie, whenever he got into trouble he said he'd turn around and look at the bullpen getting ready knowing he was done. then in one of his first few starts with guillen as manager, he loaded the bases and looked to the bullpen to see no one warming up. guillen came out and asked him what the fuck he was looking at, this was his mess. Garland went on to change as a pitcher after that and he credits that. I'm not saying that's what just happened at all, for the record, i"m just saying these are human beings. Not statistical robots out there to product their baseball card.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The sox have warmed up guys 1 batter before pulling him multiple times already this season. Cease got out of the inning. Guys give up runs sometimes. That's how the game works. Cease was rolling. To pull him is just an idiotic move made by a bunch of doomsday panicked forum posters.

No it’s simply how baseball works in the year 2020. Cease was in his 3rd time through the lineup. The book says go to your pen who is top 5 in baseball to preserve the game. It’s not 2005 anymore. This happens on a regular basis in today’s game. Ricky simply showing how out of touch with the game in today’s day and age.

• Love 2

no, because their starters are bad anddddd because no one had time to build up arm strength as usual so guys were throwing fewer innings and pitches. The only way to change that? YUou guessed it... to throw more innings and pitches in a start.

But what are you building the arm strength up for this year?  If you make the postseason, it’s going to be a quick hook anyways.  80-90 seems a good total for me this year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

But what are you building the arm strength up for this year?  If you make the postseason, it’s going to be a quick hook anyways.  80-90 seems a good total for me this year.

We haven’t seen postseason play in awhile so some forget the quick yank nowadays

no, because their starters are bad anddddd because no one had time to build up arm strength as usual so guys were throwing fewer innings and pitches. The only way to change that? YUou guessed it... to throw more innings and pitches in a start.

He could also after getting pulled go right down to the bullpen and finish off 20 more pitches if it's really about arm buildup.