Game Thread - 3/15 Sox vs Cubbos - 3:05 PM CST

ron883

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep at 2nd base and starting pitching depth. Still sucks they couldn’t get LaStella and a starter.

Do you think the Sox should've given La Stella 3 years?

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I thought that play should have been a double play and I thought I was going insane. 

Happy to get validated. 

If they tagged the runner who occupied first at second, first, then I think so.

Edit: I'm not even sure this is right but I don't believe it was a dp. Feel like that type of play happens at third all the time throughout a season.

Edited by manbearpuig

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Compared to the other contenders, this isn't true at all. There's no comfortably above replacement level cover at 2B, 3B, or SS.

There isn't much depth in OF either. Do you trust Engel, Gonzalez or Rutherford? I don't. 

I think Engel would get exposed with regular playing time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, mqr said:

The lead runner is entitled to the base. Maybin was safe the other guy was out. 

Idk that play happens all the time at third it seems and I've never seen it called a double play.

Edit: if Maybin got back to second, then yes it would be his but I think he was tagged before he even got back.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Idk that play happens all the time at third it seems and I've never seen it called a double play.

Because the guy who is safe normally doesn’t walk away. 

the only way it’s not a double play is if Maybin left before the other runner was tagged. 

34 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Compared to the other contenders, this isn't true at all. There's no comfortably above replacement level cover at 2B, 3B, or SS.

I think it's been awhile since the Sox have contended because this is the normal.  The situation in LA or SD is not the usual.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's been awhile since the Sox have contended because this is the normal.  The situation in LA or SD is not the usual.

Teams like the A's and Rays exceed expectations every year because their rosters are so ridiculously deep and versatile. It's not just the Dodgers and Padres who have more quality players than spots. Given where the Sox are with their payroll and competitive window, they should have something better than Mendick or Leury as cover if multiple injuries hit at once. That isn't too much to ask.