Congrats to Nate Jones/Carson Fulmer, back in big leagues

caulfield12

With the Braves, has a mid 2's ERA, and throwing 95-96.5ish tonight.   2.16 ERA.  8 1/3 IP, 6 K's.   Didn't realize his nickname was "Nate's Nation."

Not bad for a 35 year old who's gone through all the injuries he has, and constant criticism from SoxTalk about his throwing motion.

Fulmer's hitting 94 and 95, even 95.4 with one pitch.

Low 3's ERA, retired World Series baseball people Max Muncy (K), Will Smith and Chris Taylor.

Never in a million years could/would Carson have held a one run lead on the road against a team like the Dodgers when he was a member of the White Sox.

Never would have been given the opportunity...and didn't pitch well enough under Cooper's "tutelage/passive-aggressiveness."

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

With the Braves, has a mid 2's ERA, and throwing 95-96.5ish tonight.   2.16 ERA.  8 1/3 IP, 6 K's.   Didn't realize his nickname was "Nate's Nation."

Not bad for a 35 year old who's gone through all the injuries he has, and constant criticism from SoxTalk about his throwing motion.

I wonder if he stil has the same motion. My arm hurts just to think about it.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Of all things to rip on Soxtalk posters about Nate Jones ability to take the mound is not one of them. 

Honestly I'm not sure how we were to blame either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

also, I didn't rip on him I only observed that Soxtalk complaining about his motion proved correct

I remember one of the baseball national writers years ago on White Sox weekly say that he thought Fulmer would be the White Sox closer when they were ready to contend....this was when Carson was still a starting pitcher...obviously that expert had no crystal ball there or it was a broken Magic 8 ball.

Wow, Carson Fulmer actually pitching decently so far. Didn't see that coming. 

It just made me think of how terribly the Sox handled his development in the minors. Complete botch job. I wonder how his career would look if they didn't rush the hell out of him. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Wow, Carson Fulmer actually pitching decently so far. Didn't see that coming. 

It just made me think of how terribly the Sox handled his development in the minors. Complete botch job. I wonder how his career would look if they didn't rush the hell out of him. 

Gee, we haven't ever made that comment over the past 15-20 years.

We are fortunate as hell that Rodon ended up, despite almost being an afterthought...an important piece for the White Sox, along with Yermin and Kopech.

Our main strategy with Yermin, apparently, was NOT to waive him.  But certainly not to give him an extended opportunity as a hitter...but, not much of a standard because they also hung on to Seby Zavala 18-24 months too long.

Edited by caulfield12

Hahn is always infatuated with a player that looks really athletic. How many times has he spoken about how great Robert’s looks and comparing him to an nfl wide receiver in body type. 

a pudgy guy like yermin comes along and Hahn can’t fathom how a guy that looks like that could be a successful athlete. 

Hahn doesn’t have a clue

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Hahn is always infatuated with a player that looks really athletic. How many times has he spoken about how great Robert’s looks and comparing him to an nfl wide receiver in body type. 

a pudgy guy like yermin comes along and Hahn can’t fathom how a guy that looks like that could be a successful athlete. 

Hahn doesn’t have a clue

And missed on projecting Walker Buehler, Fulmer’s Vandy teammate.

Hahn has never been a pure talent evaluator like a Beane, Epstein or Friedman.

7 hours ago, wegner said:

I remember one of the baseball national writers years ago on White Sox weekly say that he thought Fulmer would be the White Sox closer when they were ready to contend....this was when Carson was still a starting pitcher...obviously that expert had no crystal ball there or it was a broken Magic 8 ball.

When Mike Trout goes 25th in the draft...seems like not many teams have a resident expert on staff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Hahn doesn’t have a clue

Yermin should have gotten a chance earlier but the reason he hasn't gotten a chance is not because of his optics but because he actually can't field a position and the front office didn't think he would hit enough for a DH. 

Yeah still they should have cut EE last year at the halfway point and brought up yermin but it easy for the front office to say yeah he is a good hitter but if we have him at 270 with 20 bombs that is not that great at DH. 

Positionaless players just have a tough time to find playing time unless it is a 70 hit or power. 

Yermin was seen as a 55 hit 55 power type which projects for like a 110 wrc+ (I did some research for a fangraphs community article that you can roughly add the hit and power grade to get projected wrc+) and for DH that is OK but not really good especially when we talk about a right handed bat which worst case could be a short side platoon bat which sucks at DH (roster spots are too scarce for that). 

4 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Hahn doesn’t have a clue

...and yet, he signed Robert, took Yermin, and built the current team that we're all excited about, all while dealing with JR's pocketbook.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly I'm not sure how we were to blame either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

also, I didn't rip on him I only observed that Soxtalk complaining about his motion proved correct

I was agreeing with you. not sure it came off that way.

I am going to go to the Cleveland, Arizona and Seattle fan sites to create an id to complain about how awesome Evan Marshall is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

...and yet, he signed Robert, took Yermin, and built the current team that we're all excited about, all while dealing with JR's pocketbook.

KW and Paddy were the ones really pushing it...

Yermin was Sox scout John Tumminia who covered Balt...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-yermin-mercedes-scouting-development-20210411-n23rzin7iref7epqlkzadnk4eq-story.html

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

KW and Paddy were the ones really pushing it...

Yermin was Sox scout John Tumminia who covered Balt...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-yermin-mercedes-scouting-development-20210411-n23rzin7iref7epqlkzadnk4eq-story.html

"Doug Laumann took Fulmer..."

"JR's insistence on getting cash considerations is why they traded Tatis..."

He's the fucking GM. Some scout didn't magically overrule him when it came to getting Yermin.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

"Doug Laumann took Fulmer..."

"JR's insistence on getting cash considerations is why they traded Tatis..."

He's the fucking GM. Some scout didn't magically overrule him when it came to getting Yermin.

So when has Hahn had his own original idea about bringing in a young player or intl free agent?  And had to convince JR?  I wish we had a recorder on the Luis Robert discussions....

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So when has Hahn had his own original idea about bringing in a young player or intl free agent?  And had to convince JR?  I wish we had a recorder on the Luis Robert discussions....

Either you have no idea how any organization/government works on this planet or you're presenting the dumbest strawman argument that you've given yet.

Considering you spent half a decade anointing Dayton Moore the demigod of baseball, I'm going with the L. Frank Baum route.