Are We Done Dealing.....

2Deep

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They'd be the stupidest FO around if they didn't expect all the good impending FA's or guys with 2 years left to be moved.

I do think the lack of a waiver wire deadline has pushed teams to be more aggressive on selling. The Nats and Cubs could have said “we will wait one more month to see”.

Perhaps I'm just being naive, but why isn't completely plausible that the front office is still trying to do more? If they fail, it might be that no deals were attractive enough to consummate. In that case, who would object to not pulling the trigger on a deal that was not in the best interest of the organization? I find it hard to accept that any of us knows more than Rick Hahn, K. W. and Tony La Russa. There are so many factors to consider, in any of these negotiations, including the health of the players involved. Some of the hyperbole and cynicism here is frankly embarrassing.  

Edited by Lillian

The way I look at things is the Sox have done the absolute minimum that was required this deadline, in getting a 2B upgrade and a 7th inning reliever.  With those two moves out of the way, the Sox can wait and see what opportunities present themself.  If a RF upgrade or a legit setup man can be acquired at somewhat reasonable terms I could see the Sox pull the trigger before 3pm today.  Otherwise, they go with what they have.

They addressed 2B and a much needed Relief Pitcher.   A normal trade deadline, I think we'd all be ecstatic with this knowing we addressed two huge glaring holes. 

The problem is, this is not a normal trade deadline.   Contenders are out there not looking to fill holes but to get Superstar players to get better.   And also not making this a normal tradeline is that those superstars are truly not costing what superstars once cost when it comes to prospects. 

I really hope that the desire to retain Burger, Sheets, Lambert, Stiever, Adolfo, etc is not the reason we can't pluck away someone's superstar on the cheap. 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

It's actually a little concerning that the Sox might be going with a "This time we will keep everyone healthy approach". 

If Kopech wasn't going to be transitioned to a SP, then a new SP probably should have been on the radar. What if Rodon runs out of steam? Cease cant be counted on yet. Giolito has not been an Ace this year.. and with our bullpen being so weird this year if one of them has a 'meh' playoff outing.. that might be the series right there.

One injury to one of our top 3 SP and we are probably toast. Scherzer would have been an excellent fit for this team, as would Trea Turner. It's really a shame how weak our system looks and how teams like LAD and SD can seemingly make infinite trades and still have players teams want. Our blue chippers are limited to guys like Kelley and Thompson. 

The Sox should really be trying to land Kimbrel and Bryant at this point but that doesnt seem possible at all. Gonna be a rough time around here if the Sox get bounced in the first round again.

I think a guy like Rich Hill would have been a great fit and he went for nothing

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They'd be the stupidest FO around if they didn't expect all the good impending FA's or guys with 2 years left to be moved.

On the other hand, what if they did anticipate this and therefore are hoping, with reasonable expectations, that there are some players left on the trading block, with practically no more takers? After all, contending teams only have so many "holes" and so much money and prospect capital to fill them. Today could be the day when the best bargains develop. Stay tuned.

Just now, Lillian said:

On the other hand, what if they did anticipate this and therefore are hoping, with reasonable expectations, that there are some players left on the trading block, with practically no more takers? After all, contending teams only have so many "holes" and so much money and prospect capital to fill them. Today could be the day when the best bargains develop. Stay tuned.

I certainly hope that's the case.

The move for the Sox today is pretty simple.

It's moving a package for Mancini and one of Paul Fry/Tanner Scott.

Mancini + Fry/Scott for Burger, Thompson/Kelley/Dalquist, Stiever/Lamber, Yolbert Sanchez and McKinley Moore. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps I'm just being naive, but why isn't completely plausible that the front office is still trying to do more? If they fail, it might be that no deals were attractive enough to consummate. In that case, who would object to not pulling the trigger on a deal that was not in the best interest of the organization? I find it hard to accept that any of us knows more than Rick Hahn, K. W. and Tony La Russa. There are so many factors to consider, in any of these negotiations, including the health of the players involved. Some of the hyperbole and cynicism here is frankly embarrassing.  

You aren't naive. You're rational

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

The move for the Sox today is pretty simple.

It's moving a package for Mancini and one of Paul Fry/Tanner Scott.

Mancini + Fry/Scott for Burger, Thompson/Kelley/Dalquist, Stiever/Lamber, Yolbert Sanchez and McKinley Moore. 

Why are we so in love with Mancini? Does the FO really think he can play RF effectively?

Also the Orioles have no good reason/incentive to move these guys. They are all under control for the next 1-3 years. 

Edited by chw42

9 minutes ago, Lillian said:

As much as I agree with this, this is the place for that.  People need to vent, and we all know how many times this team has kept the carrot dangling in front of our faces 

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps I'm just being naive, but why isn't completely plausible that the front office is still trying to do more? If they fail, it might be that no deals were attractive enough to consummate. In that case, who would object to not pulling the trigger on a deal that was not in the best interest of the organization? I find it hard to accept that any of us knows more than Rick Hahn, K. W. and Tony La Russa. There are so many factors to consider, in any of these negotiations, including the health of the players involved. Some of the hyperbole here is frankly embarrassing.  

It's completely plausible that they are looking to do more. Certain posters has said they are looking at something big. I never actually believed it but it can happen. Also other minor moves can also happen.

@Backwash07 had a comment about Yan Gomes that didn't get much attention but with Zalava and Collins the catching is terrible now and could use an upgrade. Gomes hits decently and is pretty good defensively and there shouldn't be much competition for him. Grandal is injured and who knows how he is going to hold up once he returns. Gomes would be an ideal backup. Who really wants to see Collins (-3 fWAR) getting significant time in the playoffs ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I am assuming they did anticipate it and are working to fill any remaining depth problems. Plenty of names still available.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Why are we so in love with Mancini? Does the FO really think he can play RF effectively?

Also the Orioles have no good reason/incentive to move these guys. They are all under control for the next 1-3 years. 

Sox have been on Mancini. He's a good hitter. I am not sure on right field and that's a fair point. You have Grandal, Moncada, TA, Robert and Hernandez for C, 3B, SS, CF and 2B. That leaves 1B, LF, RF and DH. Right now they have Abreu, Vaughn, Eloy, Engel, Sheets & Goodwin. If they swap Mancini in for Goodwin, we have 6 nice bats for four positions. I'd like to have nice players on the bench like other great teams do. It's not a perfect fit though but he'd help a lot and I'd rather trade our bullets for a guy with control.

As for your second point, I wholeheartedly disagree. I know you know the game so I am bit surprised that's your take. The Orioles suck and will suck for the forseeable future. They are best served trading their valuable pieces when they have more control. More control gets them better players for the future, less good players in the present gets them a worse record and better draft positioning for more talent for the future. I know I am glad the Sox trade Sale, Q, Eaton when they had 1-3 years of control plus instead of waiting until they lost that value.