Offseason Thread

reiks12

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If we only have 25 million to spend, we won't be able to really improve.  

Exactly.  $25M gets you Conforto and Tepera.  Conforto probably makes this team slightly better than it was a week ago, but the team would still need a 2B, another pen arm or two, and a vet SP to kick Kuechel in the ass / support for Kopech. Plus anything we wanted to do for the bench like brining back Leury and/or Billy, back up catcher, etc. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anderson & Moncada are owed a combined $22.5M next year.  Add a few more pre-arb guys and we’re quickly we’re sitting around $145M with five spots to fill if we turn down Kimbrel’s option.  So it just comes down to how much total payroll Jerry will support.  At $170M, we’d be looking at $25M to work with to fill all our holes.

LaRussa is gonna return which means JR is gonna spend. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  $25M gets you Conforto and Tepera.  Conforto probably makes this team slightly better than it was a week ago, but the team would still need a 2B, another pen arm or two, and a vet SP to kick Kuechel in the ass / support for Kopech. Plus anything we wanted to do for the bench like brining back Leury and/or Billy, back up catcher, etc. 

Billy was a great story this year but I don't know about bringing him back except as a minor league coach to help teach James Beard what to do with his 80 grade speed.

31 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, Thank you., I should have included them. I don’t think they have the will to make the moves to adequately fill these holes without going Top 10 / $180-$200m.

Their poor roster construction and players who cannot cover a position beyond DH/1B (Eloy, Sheets, Burger, Grandal, Abreu) limit what they can do without moving one of these players.

Agree.  I think they need to move one of the main corner guys in addition to Burger.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree.  I think they need to move one of the main corner guys in addition to Burger.

I'd be open to selling high on Sheets as I am not convinced he's suddenly a lefty masher in the bigs, but man, he sure looked the part.  But we need leftys so that would be a little ass backwards, but he is a DH only so just makes the log jam worse.  No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.  Abreu is going nowhere.  Nor is Yaz.  

So yeah, not really sure there is much wiggle room there.  Only way all these guys fit is if Sox stay in house with RF and commit to a dog shit OF defense.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be open to selling high on Sheets as I am not convinced he's suddenly a lefty masher in the bigs, but man, he sure looked the part.  But we need leftys so that would be a little ass backwards, but he is a DH only so just makes the log jam worse.  No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.  Abreu is going nowhere.  Nor is Yaz.  

So yeah, not really sure there is much wiggle room there.  Only way all these guys fit is if Sox stay in house with RF and commit to a dog shit OF defense.  

The love for Sheets in the org is real. Big love. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.

Teams don't devalue players due to a couple bad months the same way fans do. The Sox would get plenty of value in trading either of those guys. Same goes for Kimbrel.

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

The love for Sheets in the org is real. Big love. 

Do hey love him enough to do 1 of the following? 

1) Sell low on Eloy or Vaughn.

2) Sport an OF regularly including 2 of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets.

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we have the wrong people making decisions. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we have the wrong people making decisions. 

They probably love him enough to rotate him in at DH / 1B / RF

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Teams don't devalue players due to a couple bad months the same way fans do. The Sox would get plenty of value in trading either of those guys. Same goes for Kimbrel.

I don't know that I agree.  Sure, Eloy and Vaughn have plenty of value as is.  I am not saying they're worthless.  But trading either of them coming off disappointing 2021s wouldn't make a lot of sense.  They're both monster 2022's away from being wildly valuable pieces.  And they're both extremely talented offensive players.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think they could have Abreu/Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy cover 1B/DH/LF and  be insulated from injury. 

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I think they could have Abreu/Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy cover 1B/DH/LF and  be insulated from injury. 

For sure - never sucks to have too many good offensive playere. But I hate it if it makes Vaughn a weakside platoon player, which is basically what this does with a healthy lineup.  Eloy and Abreu aren't sitting.  AV is going to be really good. 

Edited by ChiSox59

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Major moves for RF and 2B. Bring back Tepera. Trade Kimbrel for what you can - maybe a younger controllable reliever with promise. give carlos QO - If he rejects, Sign a solid veteran SP. May be too soon, but Grienke would be kind of fun but unlikely he hates Sox park and he said as much. Haven’t studied list enough to give you another name atm. 

In an alternative universe, I’d love to see a fresh coaching staff but know it’s not happening. 

I actually would start with a fresh coaching staff.  Too much talent was wasted with poor coaching.

Edited by hankchifan

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

For sure - never sucks to have too many good offensive playere. But I hate it if it makes Vaughn a weakside platoon player, which is basically what this does with a healthy lineup.  Eloy and Abreu aren't sitting.  AV is going to be really good. 

Eloy needs to hit the baseball with some form of consistency to get be guaranteed a spot in the lineup everyday. 

Just now, Pal said:

Move Kopech and Crochet to starting rotation with innings limit and 6 man rotation to accomplish that (Lynn, Gio, Cease, and Lopez or Keuchel if they can't unload him)

You will never see a 6 man rotation. Too much disruption to the routine. Now I would start using Kopech and Crochet as headliners. These guys need innings man. Kopech was coddled all year and instead of peaking he was arguably at his worst at the end. That plan didn't work.

21 hours ago, soulfly said:

That's great, but the worst teams in baseball don't make the post season.  Yes, in the post season anything can happen.  But it's also when teams get exposed.

You are right.  We were exposed in the playoffs.  Couldn’t throw any runners out, no running game, lots of double plays, bad positioning, bad pitching management, bad pitch selection, bad manager ,etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I wasn’t on here for most of the season for personal reasons. Wasn’t a great summer for me. Nothing to do with Grandal.

But it’s obvious the Sox need a different catcher starting games in the playoffs next season. There’s a reason LA would bench Grandal in the postseason. He’s not a good defensive catcher, even if his framing metrics somehow make him out to be well above average.

Grandal can’t throw runners out, and has problems with pitches on the dirt.  But his hitting is good with great OBP.  Suitable for DH and back up catcher.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Will Crochet definitely be in the pen next season or do you think they will be looking to move him into starting? And are you assuming they will not pick up on the option for Hernandez?

I think it’s all but certainty that Crochet is in the bullpen next year.  As for Cesar, zero chance they pick up that option after his collapse IMO.

• Thanks 1

• bmags locked this topic