Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

If the Sox only make one more significant move, would we rather see a trade for a SP (Manaea, Montas) or a signing of a RF (Conforto, Castellanos)?

Sox need both a SP and RF, but Keuchel starting is asking to be shelled every 5 days.  As much as I’ve banged on about how terrible Sheets would be in RF on a regular basis, I think the need for a starting pitcher is greater *if* there is a decision to fill only one hole. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

nah, look at scrooge. old rich guys that aren't generous outlive and hang on from the very fibers of the money.

Man, I hope the ghost of seasons past present and future come by for a visit to get him to change his selfish miserly ways!   I'd cast Minnie Minoso, Jose Abreu and the son of Luis Robert in those roles.

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Katz deserves an enormous amount of credit for turning around Rodon and Cease. I would give the front office credit for hiring him as pitching coach, even though it didn't sound like he was their first choice.

Yeah true but then they turned around an threw Rodon to the wolves by pitching him as if he had pitched170 innings the season before. 10 of his 1st 18 starts he went 6 or more innings. Watch SF,Angels  and Houston with how they handle Rodon, Syndergaard and Verlander this year.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Of course…well, it’s good if that potential move pushes the White Sox to respond, but it likely won’t.

Now Correa to Detroit would be the one quite a few were predicting months ago because of Hinch in Detroit and how perfectly he would jump start their contention window, like Lester to the Cubs.

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Sox need both a SP and RF, but Keuchel starting is asking to be shelled every 5 days.  As much as I’ve banged on about how terrible Sheets would be in RF on a regular basis, I think the need for a starting pitcher is greater *if* there is a decision to fill only one hole. 

Keuchel will get 158 innings this season and do the best he can. If you really think they planned on replacing him with 18 mil a year on the books...you are not a realistic fan. DOES ANYONE here honestly think Dallas isn't pencilled in to the #4 spot? And Kopech absolutely has to get a chance. So where is this magical SP spot need? It was never going to be a big move. 

100% going to hear this week that they expect Gio to improve and be the true Ace, Lance is a #1 on some teams and they expect Dylan to take the next step and be ace level. Whether that is accurate or not is pointless, that will be the company line. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry authorized an 8/$250M deal for Machado and a 5/$125M deal for Wheeler.  At some point it falls on Hahn to actually sign someone to a nine figure deal.  The fact that Grandal’s $72M deal is the largest in team history is beyond embarrassing.

In all fairness, the payrolls were pretty low when those deals were offered.  Landing a big FA is a failing of Hahn’s no doubt, along with wasting gobs of money on peripheral talent, but overall payroll expenditures are on ownership as well.  They need a willingness to spend big on top of a large payroll number along with wise investments in FA, neither of which this org is known for. 

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re forgetting what they gave up for Scherzer and Turner…

The Dodgers are still considered to have one of the better farm systems. I think that it's ranked #12. They aren't hurting for prospects and always seem to some how replenish their system. Moreover, there aren't a lot of spots on their roster for youngsters, the way they sign free agents. Their bullpen looks to be one of their few weak spots, with the loss of Kelly and the prospect of losing Jansen, who is said to be seeking a lucrative 3 year deal, Kimbrel could be viewed as a valuable piece. However, who knows how they view him. Just look at the disparate opinions here, regarding Kimbrel's value. 

Today is one of those days where I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in Hahn's office, because if I were in Hahn's shoes, I'd be pushing hard for Gavin Lux.  If Hahn were willing to pick up most or all of Kimbrel's salary in a trade, it certainly seems like something could be worked out from there, even if the Sox had to include a mid-level prospect or someone like Gonzalez to replace Lux as a depth piece.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Dodgers are still considered to have one of the better farm systems. I think that it's ranked #12. They aren't hurting for prospects and always seem to some how replenish their system. Moreover, there aren't a lot of spots on their roster for youngsters, the way they sign free agents. Their bullpen looks to be one of their few weak spots, with the loss of Kelly and the prospect of losing Jansen, who is said to be seeking a lucrative 3 year deal, Kimbrel could be viewed as a valuable piece. However, who knows how they view him. Just look at the disparate opinions here, regarding Kimbrel's value. 

Lots of closers struggle outside of the 9th inning.  The Sox were hoping that wouldn't be the case, but it was.  If he goes back to closing, I definitely think there's reason to believe he'll dominate again like the first half of last year.  And if the Sox pick up a lot of that salary, there's tremendous value there.  We just don't know if they'd be willing to do that.

The real sad thing? There are only 4 organizations that are below us, in terms of largest contract in franchise history: Athletics, Indians, Royals, Pirates, all ones you would expect.

I'm so ready for a new regime.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Today is one of those days where I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in Hahn's office, because if I were in Hahn's shoes, I'd be pushing hard for Gavin Lux.  If Hahn were willing to pick up most or all of Kimbrel's salary in a trade, it certainly seems like something could be worked out from there, even if the Sox had to include a mid-level prospect or someone like Gonzalez to replace Lux as a depth piece.

They would ask for Vera, Carlos Perez and Kimbrel for Lux…

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

By several weak seasons you mean like 26 innings…

I don't think it makes much sense to keep sticking up for Kimbrel's performance to keep arguing if he was good or bad in the past , and covid or whatever. He's old, the Sox used him in a role he wasn't suited for , gave up too much for him, picked up his option, over valued him, and now can't trade him and it is holding up making any other trades or adding any other payroll. I mean you do see what's happening here right ?

I understand that from your perspective you feel the need to defend the arguments bout how bad he was in the past but right now the whole situation is like an anchor hanging around the Sox neck sucking the hope from the fanbase.

I'm not particular angry .I'm used to this shit. No one ever said being a Sox fan was easy. Once the ST games start I'm on a whole other level of watching them play baseball again and that is a joyous thing. Winning a World Series or being really really really good is a whole other level of joy but you get my drift.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Keuchel will get 158 innings this season and do the best he can. If you really think they planned on replacing him with 18 mil a year on the books...you are not a realistic fan. DOES ANYONE here honestly think Dallas isn't pencilled in to the #4 spot? And Kopech absolutely has to get a chance. So where is this magical SP spot need? It was never going to be a big move. 

100% going to hear this week that they expect Gio to improve and be the true Ace, Lance is a #1 on some teams and they expect Dylan to take the next step and be ace level. Whether that is accurate or not is pointless, that will be the company line. 

Keuchel sucks ass, that is the magical need for a starter.  His 2nd half last season is the magical need for a starter.  He is currently in the rotation, but an upgrade is desperately needed.  I know how this team operates so I’m not expecting it, but that doesn’t erase the need.  With the dearth of quality pitching in AAA and a limited number of innings from Kopech, the need is there.  Whether they address that need is another story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

The real sad thing? There are only 4 organizations that are below us, in terms of largest contract in franchise history: Athletics, Indians, Royals, Pirates, all ones you would expect.

I'm so ready for a new regime.

Chapman/Olson…Lindor/Jo.Ramirez/Bieber…Witt, Jr.,…Bryan Reynolds all could/should have broken those Grandal contract numbers.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They would ask for Vera, Carlos Perez and Kimbrel for Lux…

Suspend disbelief for a moment and imagine the White Sox pay all Kimbrel’s salary. With the tax implications that saves the Dodgers over $25 million. You probably still include a prospect comparable to one Of the two you list, but on paper it gives the Dodgers bullpen help without the tax hit.

But yes, this also frees up no money for the White Sox.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Keuchel sucks ass, that is the magical need for a starter.  His 2nd half last season is the magical need for a starter.  He is currently in the rotation, but an upgrade is desperately needed.  I know how this team operates so I’m not expecting it, but that doesn’t erase the need.  With the dearth of quality pitching in AAA and a limited number of innings from Kopech, the need is there.  Whether they address that need is another story.

what team in MLB would take an 18 mil starter in his last year and replace him because he "sucks ass"? Serious question. If the merits of needing another starter is not trusting Kopech and Crochet isn't stretched out, I totally get that...but because a starter had a bad season...they are not just going to magically find a replacement on the FA market until that money is cleared. He will be replaced next season after his money is cleared. This is how the White Sox operate...I don't get the outcry and anger. 2 years ago he was lights out. I think this year he lands somewhere inbetween and is a meh signing overall. But Wheeler's wife did this...Not Rick Hahn. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If they're eating the $16M, id do that in second. 

And that’s where they ask for at least $4-6 million from the Sox to help offset the CBT ramifications…due to that 60% tax.

If you believe in Lux’s prospect pedigree, you almost have to make that move, despite Vera’s potential.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If they're eating the $16M, id do that in second. 

To take on Kimbrel’s full salary would cost the Dodgers $25 million. If they’re spending that money on their own, they will just sign Jansen.