Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I'm anxiously awaiting the meltdown here the minute he signs elsewhere.  (Insert Michael Jackson Popcorn 🍿. gif)

I think the melt down will be more subdued unless it’s a really reasonable contact and the Sox do nothing to address the gaping RF hole. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I can’t argue with your points, they are sound and logical.  But if this team wants to win in this big spending large market world they have to sign quality free agents at some point.  The internal options available don’t put this team in a better spot to win, and wasting money around the edge on stop gaps won’t either. 

That's where they sign the young in house players to long term deals like Robert, Jimenez, Moncada and Anderson.

Then they can sign FA to short term deals for others.

I think the melt down will be more subdued unless it’s a really reasonable contact and the Sox do nothing to address the gaping RF hole. 

It's only a gaping hole if you think Andrew Vaughn will be a bust out there.

Andrew Vaughn needs to play everyday and he is going to get first crack at the lone open position right now which is RF.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Of course,  but if you aren't willing to go there, you wind up not signing major free agents.

Agreed. I wouldn't unless they are special players or in house ones you know everything about them

14 minutes ago, pcq said:

No writer has suggested Conforto is going to Chicago. He is beyond the Sox budget yet has inspired a petabyte of postage here. Who started all of this, Putin?

I read on LaRussia Today that we're interested in Conforto, so you might be onto something.

Edited by chw42

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I should have made mention of signing with the competition.  Any of those three and it’s Three Mile Island. 

At least it isn't Chernobyl or Fukushima.

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's where they sign the young in house players to long term deals like Robert, Jimenez, Moncada and Anderson.

Then they can sign FA to short term deals for others.

Is a 4 year deal really that long for a first time FA?  I don’t think so.  6+ I start to agree more with your sentiments.  Locking up your own guys early are sound investments no doubt.  It’s too bad they don’t have a legit body they could do that with in RF instead of wasting assets & dollars on stop gaps, retreads, or playing guys woefully out of position. 

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Is a 4 year deal really that long for a first time FA?  I don’t think so.  6+ I start to agree more with your sentiments.  Locking up your own guys early are sound investments no doubt.  It’s too bad they don’t have a legit body they could do that with in RF instead of wasting assets & dollars on stop gaps, retreads, or playing guys woefully out of position. 

No the 4 year isn't crazy. It would be a consideration, if that is truly the length. However, the Sox can't afford to wait around forever when they had other needs as well.

1 hour ago, Pal said:

4 years closer to 90 mill is what he's looking for.

If this is true then I was right. He's still looking for the big money and not looking for a prove it short contract. He already lost once betting on himself. He wouldn't do it again. Take the money and run . He probably still wants an opt out just in case . If he gets 4/80 without an opt out he'll take it but he'd like it better with one.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No the 4 year isn't crazy. It would be a consideration, if that is truly the length. However, the Sox can't afford to wait around forever when they had other needs as well.

Which swings us back around to the idiocy of picking up Kimbrel’s option only to be to seemingly stuck with him and unable/unwilling to address other big needs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pcq said:

Pineda pinending with Detroit if they can find a truck scale to weigh him. Just before death I dreamed of him and Sano mud wrestling. 

Yermin needs to get involved now that his big league income is cut off.

Do the Cubs even have a place for Conforto to play?  Who are their other two starting outfielders right now?

Which swings us back around to the idiocy of picking up Kimbrel’s option only to be to seemingly stuck with him and unable/unwilling to address other big needs. 

Again, I don't think it's much of an issue because that's only this year. Even if they keep him, it's only this year. I think the issue is more how many years they are committed to it.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the White Sox strategy is they think they are good enough now to be in a great position I July, so they can add then and pay the addition for 1/3 of the season.

Could be.

• Quin locked this topic