Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I'm an Engel fan but if that's what it takes to get out from under the Kimbrel deal...I'm in.  The money that is tied up in Kimbrel has impeded the other needed acquisitions IMO.

Well this certainly wouldn’t solve the tied up $ problem. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well this certainly wouldn’t solve the tied up $ problem. 

I doubt they reallocate those funds anyway at this point.  Might as well swap one overpriced under-performer for another and hope for a rebound.  

I do not think the Twins would allow Jake Burger to be a centerpiece of a Manea deal. They need him (and more) much more than the Sox and have more bullets to use. 

I still don’t see the Kimbrel / Bellinger deal happening. I’d be fine with it for sure but still seems so pipe dreamy. Id prefer not to give them Engel as CWS proposed, but wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. He’ll be on the IL by mid May anyway. I’d rather just hand LAD Kimbrel and sign Conforto. Neither seem very likely at this juncture tho. I still want it, but I’ve lost the desire to argue for it.

I have no issues trading Burger, but as things currently stand he’s more than just a reserve 3B. Doesn’t take much in the way of injuries for him to find himself as the near daily DH either. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

If this has already been posted I apologize, but Stone tweeted that he does not expect a RF to be added prior to the opener

Yeah I posted those a few pages back.  Feels like confirmation of what we already knew at this point unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do not think the Twins would allow Jake Burger to be a centerpiece of a Manea deal. They need him (and more) much more than the Sox and have more bullets to use. 

I still don’t see the Kimbrel / Bellinger deal happening. I’d be fine with it for sure but still seems so pipe dreamy. Id prefer not to give them Engel as CWS proposed, but wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. He’ll be on the IL by mid May anyway. I’d rather just hand LAD Kimbrel and sign Conforto. Neither seem very likely at this juncture tho. I still want it, but I’ve lost the desire to argue for it.

I have no issues trading Burger, but as things currently stand he’s more than just a reserve 3B. Doesn’t take much in the way of injuries for him to find himself as the near daily DH either. 

What can the Twins offer that is better than Burger that isn’t an overpay for one year of a good but not elite starting pitcher?  Again, perhaps the A’s would prefer younger prospects or guys at other positions, but people are really sleeping on Jake.  Dude is going to be a quality major leaguer if he can stay healthy and keep his body in shape.  I doubt the Twins have a guy projected to be a 2 win player next year they have readily available for a rental, but maybe I’m totally off-base there.  

Personally, I think trading Burger++ for Manaea would be a loss for us in the long-run, but just don’t see him getting the playing time he needs to build up his value much further.  It sucks, but I’d much rather have the pitching depth this year than the hitting depth.  With Stiever out for a while and VV not yet inspiring much confidence, our pitching depth is very concerning.

We are all talking about Bellinger but since independent analysts seem to be confirming that there is good reason for those fluff pieces about Colas and since the Sox are still fixated on financial/budget issues why don't we just pivot to Lux.

He should be more affordable than Bellinger. He also makes no money, has a ton of control, and could play 2B/RF (depending on where Vaughn is placed) and is LH and has no place to play in the loaded LAD lineup. 

Send them Kimbrel and 6-7m and maybe like a Dahlquist or something.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would anyone expect Kimbrel to be in mid season form his first outing of spring training. I get that he has to go, but sucking during spring training isn’t anything new to him. Hendriks threw 94 his first outing. 

Every year spring training is taken way more seriously than it should. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

IMO, if the Dodgers are ready to dump Bellinger, the odds of the Sox fixing him are long.

Don’t overreact to spring training numbers.

Also Bellinger’s spring training numbers are terrible the Dodgers will surely move him now.

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We are all talking about Bellinger but since independent analysts seem to be confirming that there is good reason for those fluff pieces about Colas and since the Sox are still fixated on financial/budget issues why don't we just pivot to Lux.

He should be more affordable than Bellinger. He also makes no money, has a ton of control, and could play 2B/RF (depending on where Vaughn is placed) and is LH and has no place to play in the loaded LAD lineup. 

Lux as a younger/cost-controlled player has a ton of value with that payroll.

Plus, Trea Turner will be a FA at the end of the season.  That’s worth in the multiple tens of millions to them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think Lux has more value than Bellinger. If he doesn't, then he probably will soon enough assuming this keeps into the season for Bellinger. Given his injuries, you have to worry about Bellinger being done done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What can the Twins offer that is better than Burger that isn’t an overpay for one year of a good but not elite starting pitcher?  Again, perhaps the A’s would prefer younger prospects or guys at other positions, but people are really sleeping on Jake.  Dude is going to be a quality major leaguer if he can stay healthy and keep his body in shape.  I doubt the Twins have a guy projected to be a 2 win player next year they have readily available for a rental, but maybe I’m totally off-base there.  

Personally, I think trading Burger++ for Manaea would be a loss for us in the long-run, but just don’t see him getting the playing time he needs to build up his value much further.  It sucks, but I’d much rather have the pitching depth this year than the hitting depth.  With Stiever out for a while and VV not yet inspiring much confidence, our pitching depth is very concerning.

So clearly Manea has been on the market for several weeks and the White Sox likely put in some calls on him.

Why do you think this didn’t happen? Did our GM not think of this player as an option, or did some side say no? Which side?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Plus, Trea Turner will be a FA at the end of the season.  That’s worth in the multiple tens of millions to them.

Both Turners are likely free agents after this year (Justin has a $16m option/2 mill buyout).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think these two statements disagree with each other, demonstrating why he may have MORE value than Bellinger. 

Not to say I wouldn't take either one, just that Lux may require more pieces than you think.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So clearly Manea has been on the market for several weeks and the White Sox likely put in some calls on him.

Why do you think this didn’t happen? Did our GM not think of this player as an option, or did some side say no? Which side?

Oakland probably asking price too high or may take their chances on the TDL with him. Kimble is the hold up. It's so obvious that the Sox get Manaea with the Kimbrel money if Sox and A's can agree on Manaea's cost. That's the only moves the Sox have left. Hahn may trade Kimbrel for something else but the Sox need at least $10M of his salary on their books .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Don’t overreact to spring training numbers.

Also Bellinger’s spring training numbers are terrible the Dodgers will surely move him now.

Being unable to make contact is a little different than bad spring training numbers.  I’ve seen people who follow the Dodgers for a living say Bellinger just doesn’t look right.

Guys, bellinger isn't happening. Dodgers too smart to trade at ultimate low and white sox too risky to grab that style of player.

more curious as to why montas/manaea and conforto haven't happened yet. What the hell is the hold up.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We have no idea what’s been offered or rejected, so impossible for any of us to answer your questions.  That being said, I’m sure the A’s are taking their time and ensuring they are getting the best offer possible since they can.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Guys, bellinger isn't happening. Dodgers too smart to trade at ultimate low and white sox too risky to grab that style of player.

more curious as to why montas/manaea and conforto haven't happened yet. What the hell is the hold up.

Repeat after me. Sox are broke until they get some money from Kimbrel. That is how they are operating right now. If anything happens it will be Manaea once Kimbrel situation is resolved.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Repeat after me. Sox are broke until they get some money from Kimbrel. That is how they are operating right now. If anything happens it will be Manaea once Kimbrel situation is resolved.

I was kind of talking in general - not just the white sox - but why montas/manaea haven't been traded at all or conforto signed at all.

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I was kind of talking in general - not just the white sox - but why montas/manaea haven't been traded at all or conforto signed at all.

For the As - it sure seems clear that they haven’t gotten offers as good as they wanted, so they’re content to play for time.

For Conforto - combine a bad season last year with vaccine issues and a qualifying offer and no one was willing to pay what his market value should have been. His side seems to have held out thinking better offers would appear, and they did not - teams went other ways. We previously saw this happen to Keuchel and Kimbrel in 2019.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ugh....you're right.

I went on baseball trade values and Lux was worth 15.5m. Kimbrel was -1 and 6m of cash is net of 5m. Still 10m short.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

• Quin locked this topic