Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Im bored of the same old talk in this thread. Lets discuss an Eloy trade that would improve the MLB club. Who wants to take up the challenge?

Oh this is right up my alley but,alas ,I'm not up for it. I had some scenario's in my head like Eloy for Winker, get a Reds Starting pitcher, Tyler Naquin in a blockbuster but Reds have already dumped Winker and Sonny Gray and don't look like they want to trade Mahle and Castillo.

2 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Vaccination question:  

Major league players are not required to be vaccinated.  Minor league players are required to be vaccinated.  What happens if a major leaguer gets injured and needs a  rehab assignment?

Id assume it only applies to minor league contracts 

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh this is right up my alley but,alas ,I'm not up for it. I had some scenario's in my head like Eloy for Winker, get a Reds Starting pitcher, Tyler Naquin in a blockbuster but Reds have already dumped Winker and Sonny Gray and don't look like they want to trade Mahle and Castillo.

Right there with ya

34 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

In situations like this, though, Boras' MO is pretty much always to get an early opt out in the deal.  And it makes perfect sense for Conforto:  gives him an opportunity to have a bounce back year, allows him to shed the QO, and allows time for the covid mandates/restrictions to possibly be dropped (opening up the NY teams and TOR as possibilities).  There is close to a 0% chance he signs a 4/75 deal or something like that with no opt outs.  If it's 4/75, there will be an early opt out.  Otherwise, I think he'll sign a 1 year deal.  There will certainly be some team out there willing to sacrifice the draft pick to sign Conforto to a one year contract.

This is all to say that the Sox have to offer an opt out if they want Conforto.  They have to.  Or there's no prayer.

I agree with all of this. A Conforto deal must have an opt . The problem with an opt out after 1 year is that he has the draft pick attached to him so teams aren't exactly lining up to give him that opt out after 1 . He's between a rock and a hard place. Anyone willing to go 4 yrs on him won't want an opt out after just 1 yr.

I'm pretty confident he is looking for 4 years. He already bet on himself once if its true the Mets offered him $100M prior to the 2021 and he refused it. He then proceeded to get injured and play badly. Unless he's got too much pride, he won't do that again because 2 straight years of underwhelming performance would crush his worth.

I wonder if Tony is embracing the pitch by committee status of baseball today. Just let all guys go three innings max. I sense the Sox staff has some bodies but some very questionable starters. Certainly not a deep staff. Has Keuchel retired? I can't see them trotting him out there much considering he didn't make the postseason roster.

Hate to be negative but I'm thinking our staff sorta stinks unless the Sox just do the three inning max thing. I know Sox have added a few bodies to add to the mix, but need some studs IMO.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

I wonder if there is a base case salary below which Boras won't entertain and no team feels Comforto is worth? Could it be (for whatever reason) there is zero market for him? 

Yes. It is entirely possible that Conforto will wait until the qualifying offer expires midseason if this many teams are pretending it was a big deal. That is exactly what happened to both Keuchel and Kimbrel in 2019.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. It is entirely possible that Conforto will wait until the qualifying offer expires midseason if this many teams are pretending it was a big deal. That is exactly what happened to both Keuchel and Kimbrel in 2019.

The QO expires in June right?

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wonder if Tony is embracing the pitch by committee status of baseball today. Just let all guys go three innings max. I sense the Sox staff has some bodies but some very questionable starters. Certainly not a deep staff. Has Keuchel retired? I can't see them trotting him out there much considering he didn't make the postseason roster.

Hate to be negative but I'm thinking our staff sorta stinks unless the Sox just do the three inning max thing. I know Sox have added a few bodies to add to the mix, but need some studs IMO.

This isn't a thing. Anywhere. Honestly, what are you even talking about? 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Stephen Drew… I feel like there was another position player that waited as well.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

This isn't a thing. Anywhere. Honestly, what are you even talking about? 

The Cubs tried it in the early 70s. Every pitcher only 3 innings on a rotating basis. 

They found unfortunately you still need the talent.

Just now, ptatc said:

The Cubs tried it in the early 70s. Every pitcher only 3 innings on a rotating basis. 

They found unfortunately you still need the talent.

This is interesting. Do you recall what year? I'd like to check the box scores out. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I know we'd all like to point to the Padres as the team that would hurt us (again), but will they give up pool funds and a pick to sign Conforto when they also need to dump at least one of Hosmer or Myers, which will require attaching a prospect?

Just depends if they’re willing to go into the tax.  They were a tax offender last season, but I believe there are additional penalties for being a multi-time defender which teams typically try to avoid.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think that would be a serious miscalculation on Conforto's or Boras' part. I think Conforto hasn't signed because of the 1 bad year more than the extra draft pick, though both play a role. Conforto needs to play a full season this year and do well to reestablish his worth. July is when the draft pick compensation is removed ? That's a long time to just expect him to ramp right up to his old self and 1 injury where he misses a month screws up that plan even more.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

People who are rationalizing that this offense would be fine by committee and defense might be acceptable make good points, but my counterpoint is that Conforto, Sheets, and Vaughn are all insurance policies on one or two of them sucking, that another $25 or even $50 million a year or luxury tax or whatever is honestly just monopoly money to these billionaire owners, and 2022 and 2023 are THE YEARS the white Sox are best positioned to win the World Series.  If WIN NOW ultimately means we spend more Monopoly money and Andrew Vaughn and Gavin Sheets need to ride the pine for a year so be it. Just get every asset you can for these next two years and LFG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Im bored of the same old talk in this thread. Lets discuss an Eloy trade that would improve the MLB club. Who wants to take up the challenge?

Can’t take that challenge until another year as you’d be selling low.  If Eloy has a monster year, his value will skyrocket from where it is now.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just depends if they’re willing to go into the tax.  They were a tax offender last season, but I believe there are additional penalties for being a multi-time defender which teams typically try to avoid.

I don’t have the full text but I’ve seen no indication that the multi year CBA penalties survived this negotiation, no one has mentioned it as an issue.

55 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I truthfully don't believe you could trade Eloy today and improve the club.  He has the upside of one of the very best RHH in the game.  Will he reach that upside?  Probably not if the Sox keep running him out in LF everyday, but its enormous.  You'd be selling low and it just doesn't make sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wouldn’t the default assumption be they were maintained if we didn’t hear anything about them?

Found it on the MLB page, yes I do think there is a multi year surcharge, but to be honest I can’t follow the language of how it interacts with the various levels.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

If it’s the worst case scenario, the Cohen Tax and a multi year penalty could maybe have the Mets paying a 110% tax in 2024?

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic