Vaughn has a hip pointer injury, out 1-2 weeks

Sleepy Harold

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This inherent stubbornness and/or lack of willingness to learn from close calls is going to be the death of this organization.  Next time it will be one of these lumbering OFers crashing into Robert, unfortunately.  They just seem to want to tempt fate.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Conforto is not a good fielder. He is a lefty - but spending 100M and 5 years on a lefty probably isn't the difference in this club making the series or not. I'd rather spend that money on a Gio long term deal while leveraging some of our internal options a bit better.  

I dug myself a hole with saying right field. Bellinger for Kimbrel (Dodgers willing), a Meadows trade, Conforto on much less than 100/5 (because at this rate he's clearly not getting that) are all something I'd be more interested in entertaining. Have Vaughn rotate DH/1B/LF.

38 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Nope. Most of us make the point in our plan that Sheets would go be depth in AAA.

I'm sure the combo Eloy, Conforto, Vaughn, Abreu will see some time on the IL eventually. The at bats will be there in the majors for Sheets.

The point remains that a lot of us were looking forward to Sheets getting many AB's and possibly becoming the LH masher that we need. Also if Vaughn got the majority of his AB's in RF to accomplish it, that was good too.

The Sheets getting MLB AB's crowd may not be as vocal about it as the Vaughn and Conforto guys are but we do exist. It's just more difficult speaking out against the onslaught of Vaughn should be the primary DH or primary RF and deserves as many AB's as anyone else on the team stuff. I think Vaughn will be a very good hitter while I also think Sheets can be a good HR hitting DH because he's LH,  We need to find out if that is true just as much as the people who believe Vaughn needs 600 AB's.

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This inherent stubbornness and/or lack of willingness to learn from close calls is going to be the death of this organization.  Next time it will be one of these lumbering OFers crashing into Robert, unfortunately.  They just seem to want to tempt fate.

Isn't it more likely that a speedy OF crashes into Robert ? Lumbering ones won't have as many opportunities to get close to him.

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The point remains that a lot of us were looking forward to Sheets getting many AB's and possibly becoming the LH masher that we need. Also if Vaughn got the majority of his AB's in RF to accomplish it, that was good too.

The Sheets getting MLB AB's crowd may not be as vocal about it as the Vaughn and Conforto guys are but we do exist. It's just more difficult speaking out against the onslaught of Vaughn should be the primary DH or primary RF and deserves as many AB's as anyone else on the team stuff. I think Vaughn will be a very good hitter while I also think Sheets can be a good HR hitting DH because he's LH,  We need to find out if that is true just as much as the people who believe Vaughn needs 600 AB's.

Agree, entirely. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Genuine surprise. The odds say we’re due for a healthy season though. But in the midst of a seige, everything looks like a hammer coming down

Every time you roll the dice, the odds are the same. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Genuine surprise. The odds say we’re due for a healthy season though. But in the midst of a seige, everything looks like a hammer coming down

The White Sox had the 6th fewest IL days in baseball last year, so in some ways they were quite healthy last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox had the 6th fewest IL days in baseball last year, so in some ways they were quite healthy last year.

It was just concentrated on a few players with significant injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It was just concentrated on a few players with significant injuries.

Yes. But a "Normal amount of injuries" would have a few guys with significant injuries and more minor injuries than the White Sox saw last year.

People just aren't calibrated for what a "normal amount of injuries" looks like. The White Sox were a generally healthy team last year, compared to teams that were really banged up like the Mets or Padres. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yes. But a "Normal amount of injuries" would have a few guys with significant injuries and more minor injuries than the White Sox saw last year.

People just aren't calibrated for what a "normal amount of injuries" looks like. The White Sox were a generally healthy team last year, compared to teams that were really banged up like the Mets or Padres. 

I agree.  That's why I said they were concentrated in a few players. They were generally a healthy team.

1 hour ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Tony La Russa stands up for the guys in his locker room and "Sox Fans" have a hissy fit.  Unbelievable.

Way to have their back, Tony!

Hey guess what Stone Pony, La Russa can have his players’ backs without ripping into the fanbase.  Not that hard to do.

And the scary part here is this is proof that Tony has significant influence over personnel decisions and that Hahn is basically an assistant GM.  Our only hope to win a World Series now is our core being good enough and can stay healthy enough to overcome Tony’s incompetence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, dude showed he knows how to win in the playoffs last October.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Or while coasting the entire 2nd half preceding said post season.

I don’t love TLR, but that Astros series had little to do with his decisions or the fact that we coasted into the playoffs. Our starting pitchers couldn’t throw strikes and then got pounded when they were forced to. 

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t love TLR, but that Astros series had little to do with his decisions or the fact that we coasted into the playoffs. Our starting pitchers couldn’t throw strikes and then got pounded when they were forced to. 

That whole series was a managerial nightmare. The loss of that series had a ton to do with managerial decisions. Starting Lynn on the road, using Crochet in back to back games, defensive positioning, leaving Giolito in too long, leaving Rodon in too long, pitching Kopech 2 days apart after a nearly 50 pitch outing. There were more in my list back in November when it was fresh in my mind - there was enough damage there that I think competent managing quite readily swings that series. At the very least it goes 5 games.

Oh and just to note - LaRussa didn't actually make the biggest managerial mistake of that series. He just made all of #s 2-20 or whatever they were.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Not having HFA definitely hurt us and so did a complete lack of power and an ability to hit a quality RH starter.  Tony isn’t good enough to overcome flawed roster construction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

No you must blame management. Players have less of an effect on yhe game than the players.

Hyperbole of course but i can't believe that in baseball were mangers have such a small effect in the game comparatively TLR gets so much attention.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1